User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
So I’ll never understand that whole Silver Springs fight with Mick which she goes into in that interview. Why didn’t she just re-record it for Timespace? Why would she want the Fleetwood Mac version on her solo compilation? There were no other Mac songs included. She always seems so over the top regarding this during this era.
I think Stevie is very passionate about her songs, certainly more so than Christine, and maybe even Lindsey, who knows? But my point is, that recorded version of Silver Springs by FM is very personal to her. It’s not just the words, but also the music and the performance, both of which would be different if she had re-recorded it. So yes, she could have recorded it again, and it might have turned out fine or even great, but she wanted the original because of how much it meant to her. Doesn’t mean she’s right, but I can see her POV.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
So I’ll never understand that whole Silver Springs fight with Mick which she goes into in that interview. Why didn’t she just re-record it for Timespace? Why would she want the Fleetwood Mac version on her solo compilation? There were no other Mac songs included. She always seems so over the top regarding this during this era.
I think at one point Stevie did consider recording a new version, though it never happened.

Stevie said that she wanted the original FM version as because the band had demoted it to a B side back in 1976, she figured Mick wouldn't mind giving it back to her (actually he did as he wanted it for 'The Chain' box set in which he had a $$ stake).

Also, Stevie had assigned royalties for 'Silver Springs' to her mother Barbara, so she wanted the song to go out on 'TimeSpace'. But since it eventually wound up on the FM box set, Barbara would've gotten her royalties anyways.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Everything happens for a reason. The Dance and Silver Springs was incredible for the band. However, pretending we are living in 1990/1991, Mick was so freaking greedy. He knew with Lindsey gone album sales were down and now Chris and Stevie not touring that he needed every penny. It was stupid of Mick to fight over a B side song that he threw of Rumours. The writer kept your band afloat for 2 tours. Mick was milking everything out of 1990 because he knew the big bucks were about to come to a halt. Stevie even was frustrated at the length of the BTM tour. He kept adding all these European dates and Stevie while frustrated kept going. Stevie's mom did not need the royalties but it was the principle. Mick being a d**k as usual when it comes to nickels and dimes. He would have sold Biddy's undies on Ebay if it existed back then.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Is Silver Springs her mother's song?? Or did I hear wrong? Did Mick mess with her family? What's her family have to do with Silver Springs? Or did I misunderstand everything?

Edit: Oh I didn't read last page and now I just read greendaze5. Now it makes sense.

Last edited by Villavic; 07-17-2022 at 06:21 PM..
Old 07-17-2022, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He would have sold Biddy's undies on Ebay if it existed back then.
HEY NOW, I have to draw the line at you STEALING my shtick!

Mick selling Biddy's undies is mine, and I filed a copyright. You'll be hearing from my attorneys!!! Dewey, Beatem, and Howe.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That TimeSpace interview with the purple headband is so weird (but interesting!) Wasn't that recorded for MTV or VH1? And does anyone know if it ever aired? Did anyone see it anywhere before the days of Youtube?
Old 07-17-2022, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Is Silver Springs her mother's song?? Or did I hear wrong? Did Mick mess with her family? What's her family have to do with Silver Springs? Or did I misunderstand everything?

Edit: Oh I didn't read last page and now I just read greendaze5. Now it makes sense.
Yeah, Goat gifted her Nanny the royalties from SS.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I totally get Stevie on why she wanted to do this. Fleetwood Mac was pretty much over (at least everyone thought). They went on without Lindsey and it was not that successful. Chris had just bought a house (we heard that before) and was fixing it and wanted no more touring. Stevie always saw this gem not getting its fair shake. It was the perfect opportunity to finally put it on an album...her "favorite" songs. She wanted the world to hear it. She was probably still bitter over it too. You realize the little bit of money we are talking about here. Didn't Stand Back make the CD of the Chain 25 Years of Fleetwood Mac. I realize it was a live performance so the band would own it but good grief Mick was a horrendous person. He's selling live versions of her solo songs. You just cant make this up. He is a scoundrel of the lowest level.
Connect the dots. Mick was this cheap over a B side song that Stevie wrote. In just a few years Bob Welch wanted a few royalties too. If Mick would not bend for Stevie, he surely wasn't going to give Bob a dime either.
Pathetic

Yes I am glad Silver Springs was saved for the Dance because I know some will chime in and say that. I am speaking as if you took a time machine back to 1990. No one would have thought Lindsey was coming back and there would be a reunion.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-18-2022 at 07:11 AM..
Old 07-18-2022, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

…Though if SS had been included on Timespace, I don’t know that it would have diminished the song’s impact on The Dance (unless it were released as a single from Timespace, maybe). The spectacle of the live performance, Stevie shouting at Lindsey at the end, was a big part of what sold that version of the song IMO. I kinda remember it being played as a stand-alone video on VH1 and maybe even MTV back then.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12 View Post
…Though if SS had been included on Timespace, I don’t know that it would have diminished the song’s impact on The Dance (unless it were released as a single from Timespace, maybe). The spectacle of the live performance, Stevie shouting at Lindsey at the end, was a big part of what sold that version of the song IMO. I kinda remember it being played as a stand-alone video on VH1 and maybe even MTV back then.
True. Great point. I think it also is a false choice otherwise. Timespace was not hugely popular and no songs got big airplay. Chances are the song would have been lost again. However it would have made Stevie happy to finally put it on an album.
The Dance would have reignited the interest regardless.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True. Great point. I think it also is a false choice otherwise. Timespace was not hugely popular and no songs got big airplay. Chances are the song would have been lost again. However it would have made Stevie happy to finally put it on an album.
The Dance would have reignited the interest regardless.
But with SS in Timespace maybe a butterfly effect would have happened. Maybe there would not have been a Time lineup and album. Maybe another BTM lineup and album again (with or without Rick), with a tour (probably without Christine), so maybe there would not have been a Rumours lineup reunion (and Dance album), at least in 1997. Who knows.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
But with SS in Timespace maybe a butterfly effect would have happened. Maybe there would not have been a Time lineup and album. Maybe another BTM lineup and album again (with or without Rick), with a tour (probably without Christine), so maybe there would not have been a Rumours lineup reunion (and Dance album), at least in 1997. Who knows.
IMHO Stevie was being humble and saying words to hurt Mick during that interview (ha ha look what you lost). She knew she filled those seats. Before the Farwell tour was over in 1990 BOTH Chris and Stevie announced they would no longer tour with the band. Both had one foot out of the band. No way Jose that Stevie would have toured with that mash up of Fleetwood Mac members during that time. Stevie's management told her to quit the band when Lindsey left. She was the team player and played on. But after BTM and Chris mostly departing I see Stevie's words as a farce. Which is why she wanted Silver Springs. She knew or at least thought at the time the Mac was pretty much done so give me what is mine.
At that point, Fleetwood Mac was like a forest fire. It needed to burn to the ground completely before new growth could start again many years later.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-18-2022 at 09:39 AM..
Old 07-22-2022, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The best part of the “Silver Springs” story is that it’s all BS.

Warner, not Mick, had the rights to release the song. Songs only go back to the artist if the song goes out of print for ten years. Warner reissued the song in 1988 or so as part of a Back-to-Back series of 45s. Mick couldn’t just let Stevie use the song even if he had wanted to.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-22-2022, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The best part of the “Silver Springs” story is that it’s all BS.

Warner, not Mick, had the rights to release the song. Songs only go back to the artist if the song goes out of print for ten years. Warner reissued the song in 1988 or so as part of a Back-to-Back series of 45s. Mick couldn’t just let Stevie use the song even if he had wanted to.
Fascinating. Thank you.

It seems Mick had to be the fall guy though because she didn't get what she wanted.

I watched that interview Macfan4life shared where she talks about messing with her family and boy she sounds like the head of Cosa Nostra!
Old 07-22-2022, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
It seems Mick had to be the fall guy though because she didn't get what she wanted.
Mick is always the fall guy and also the first one they all run back to.

THE Stephen Hopkins