User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
mitzo, respectivelly we are all entitled to our opinions. I'm curious why you describe it as groteque.

IMO, it sounds nothing like it was originally intended in 83, but I don't find anything repulsive about it.

Surely, Stevie and Mick and millions of fans that love it live don't find it grotesque. If the band felt they couldn't pull off a decent version of it, it would have been dropped from the setlist by now.
I know many like SB live but not me, for sure. What I hear is a hideous wall of thudding noise instead of instrumental music, and a load of winded hoarse off-key monotone bellowing and shouting from Stevie. It embarrasses me and I cannot imagine how, if she has ever seen or heard it played back, she could ever do that again.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Adding to the Stand Back discussion, it deserves to go if only to include one of the dozens of great songs that are overlooked to play it. Toss in Go Insane too, ditch it for something like Save Me a Place. The band and definitely Stevie have outgrown the song, I love the Wild Heart version, but past that tour, it has really not been done justice for many years, soundstage being an exception.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Adding to the Stand Back discussion, it deserves to go if only to include one of the dozens of great songs that are overlooked to play it. Toss in Go Insane too, ditch it for something like Save Me a Place. The band and definitely Stevie have outgrown the song, I love the Wild Heart version, but past that tour, it has really not been done justice for many years, soundstage being an exception.
I have fun with SB at concerts, but since this is FM I'd love for both of their solo songs to be replaced with FM songs that deserve some love. I love Save Me a Place, I doubt they'd replace Go Insane with that one But there are dozens of songs I'd love to hear!

Side note, I've been watching different live performances recently because of this discussion and yes, are some better than others, of course - But, I'm starting to feel bad about citing bad performances Ultimately, when you are there, at the concert, I think you can't help but get caught up in the moment! I guess what I'm trying to say is I know I'm going to have a blast regardless of what they play, and I know they'll sound great
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Ledgie

Default Is there any point... other than their making money?

Stevie hasn't seemed really interested in a Fleetwood Mac venture (whether recording or touring) since 1997's "The Dance" enterprise. Maybe it's because Christine left. Maybe it's because she's now the only girl/woman. Maybe it's because of computers or the internet or piracy or because "no one buys albums anymore" and it "breaks [my] heart." Maybe it's because she hasn't been relevant outside her fan base for so long. She just doesn't attract new listeners in large numbers anymore because her lyrics are so obtuse and self-involved, and she's practically incapable of telling/singing stories that non-fans can understand (since about 1985, maybe 1989 if one is being generous).

I've been watching old footage, and compared to what they once were, they're just not very tight as a band--MUSICALLY--anymore. Their timing is pretty awful. If it weren't for Lindsey, they wouldn't be able to hold it together. I saw them three times on the so-called "Unleashed" tour, which was anything but "unleashed." The performances I saw, including Madison Square Garden, were plodding, bloated, worn and drawn out. By the end of each show I saw, the audience was talking to each other more than they were watching the show. And a LOT of people were saying how they should never be allowed to play MSG again.

The set list for the 2013 tour would have to be pretty far-out and unusual for me to shell out the exorbitant amount of money it takes to score a decent ticket. And even then, do I really want a good seat to see a worn-out band whose members can barely function as a unit?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blemelin View Post
Stevie hasn't seemed really interested in a Fleetwood Mac venture (whether recording or touring) since 1997's "The Dance" enterprise. Maybe it's because Christine left. Maybe it's because she's now the only girl/woman. Maybe it's because of computers or the internet or piracy or because "no one buys albums anymore" and it "breaks [my] heart." Maybe it's because she hasn't been relevant outside her fan base for so long. She just doesn't attract new listeners in large numbers anymore because her lyrics are so obtuse and self-involved, and she's practically incapable of telling/singing stories that non-fans can understand (since about 1985, maybe 1989 if one is being generous).

I've been watching old footage, and compared to what they once were, they're just not very tight as a band--MUSICALLY--anymore. Their timing is pretty awful. If it weren't for Lindsey, they wouldn't be able to hold it together. I saw them three times on the so-called "Unleashed" tour, which was anything but "unleashed." The performances I saw, including Madison Square Garden, were plodding, bloated, worn and drawn out. By the end of each show I saw, the audience was talking to each other more than they were watching the show. And a LOT of people were saying how they should never be allowed to play MSG again.

The set list for the 2013 tour would have to be pretty far-out and unusual for me to shell out the exorbitant amount of money it takes to score a decent ticket. And even then, do I really want a good seat to see a worn-out band whose members can barely function as a unit?
For God's sakes, they are in their 60s and missing Christine. For their age, they are doing really well.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
For God's sakes, they are in their 60s and missing Christine. For their age, they are doing really well.
Yes, I agree...but I also agree with blemelin that Stevie seems disinterested and going through the motions on most songs....but then kicks it up a notch for SB and GDW.

and that's the only thing I agree with on that post. I still love the band live b/c they still rock!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I know many like SB live but not me, for sure. What I hear is a hideous wall of thudding noise instead of instrumental music, and a load of winded hoarse off-key monotone bellowing and shouting from Stevie. It embarrasses me and I cannot imagine how, if she has ever seen or heard it played back, she could ever do that again.
Fair enough...I don't completely agree with you, however I do notice a difference in the way Stevie tackles SB and delivers it with Mac vs. Solo.

The Live in Chicago solo dvd was awesome and Stevie delivered a powerful performance of this song and many, many other tunes.

Which leads me to question why SN gives 100% for her solo gigs and barely just goes through the motions with FM. These are her songs, one would think that she would still want to reach near perfection performances regardless of whom was backing her.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But I thought SYLM was a highlight of the Dance tour. Maybe because of the collective energy you mentioned.

Michele
Agreed! I think of the dance tour arrangement/performances as exceptions to the decades of live performances of the song. Something about the piano in the original doesn't translate to the electric keyboard live. The piano drives the song, so if that isn't clicking...
Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
mitzo, respectivelly we are all entitled to our opinions. I'm curious why you describe it as groteque.

IMO, it sounds nothing like it was originally intended in 83, but I don't find anything repulsive about it.

Surely, Stevie and Mick and millions of fans that love it live don't find it grotesque. If the band felt they couldn't pull off a decent version of it, it would have been dropped from the setlist by now.
I really enjoy the live version so much more than the recording. The recording is way too slow.

Plus, it's hilarious to watch Lindsey singing along and acting up with it onstage. Especially on "give me a little sympathy" when he beats his chest. LOL.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post

Plus, it's hilarious to watch Lindsey singing along and acting up with it onstage. Especially on "give me a little sympathy" when he beats his chest. LOL.
That is cute. Michele
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't think of a horrible live song, however somebody needs to tell Lindsey to knock off the psychobabble during his banter. I'm wanna see a RAWK show, not hear what you learned from your therapist. Get on the mic, tell the Eagles to go F**K themselves, and play IKINW.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Brown Eyes did not translate to the stage unfortunately.

Not That Funny was utterly obnoxious live.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know that I would agree any Fleetwood Mac songs are "horrible" performed live, but I'd agree that *many* individual performances are lacking in energy, enthusiasm and interest.

Typically it's Stevie's songs that fall into this category, but the blame does not fall with the song, but rather the performers and musicians not executing the songs with any desire to impress.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Certainly, if you tie the song into something specific in your life it's going to change it for you. I think I feel that way about the entire Mirage album, taking it beyond the quality of the songs and into the personal memories they invoke for me.

Oh, Sinatra wouldn't even record Say Goodbye. It wasn't his style at all. I'm proud to say he did record one of Sonny's songs: Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down).

Michele
Hehehe . Although i thought only Nancy recorded it (?). Her version is the best, the arrangements and her voice bring so much depth.
I love Sonny because he wasn't mainly a songwriter but he wrote some of the most legendary songs of all time.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Agreed! I think of the dance tour arrangement/performances as exceptions to the decades of live performances of the song. Something about the piano in the original doesn't translate to the electric keyboard live. The piano drives the song, so if that isn't clicking...
Say You Love Me is absolutely a piano driven pop-rock song. You can hear very well the chord changes and everything. One of the reasons it's one of my favorite Mac songs is because of the unforgiving hard piano.

Now the single version is more guitar/drums driven, but still enought piano.