Don't Let me Down Again 6 8.70%
Django 0 0%
Races are Run 6 8.70%
Lola (My Love) 1 1.45%
Frozen Love 29 42.03%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Frozen Love, Without a Leg to Stand On, Crystal, Crying in the Night and Long Distance Winner - they are my favorites from this. I want this on CD bad!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I finished the album. Here are my thoughts "live" as I was listening...

Crying in the Night - Stevie, excellent vocals
Stephanie - instrumental, okay
Without a Leg to Stand on - odd vocals; who's singing?; lotta acoustic guitar!
Crystal - not as soft/lush as FM version; Lindsey vocals w/Stevie on chorus; FM version better
Long Distance Winner - quirky rhythm; can't understand the words; similiar sound to Frozen Love; nice guitar solo
Don't Let Me Down Again - Second hand news meets World Turning; vocals mixed too far back; cool instrumental break; I picture Christine playing the maracas; I played my pack of Eclipse gum!
Django - another instrumental, two on the same record? kinda western sounding
Races are Run - awe how sweet/precious is Stevie; instrumental break; excellent vocals/harmonies
Lola My Love - what the heck is this!!; interesting/quirky rhythm; what key is lindsey singing this in its so low
Frozen Love - turn that volume up lets wake the neighbors!; hey I sound pretty good singing with 'em; instrumental break strings/guitar; excellent drums/vocals; nice duet

Overall a good album. There voices changed alot for the '75 white album. Not enough drums and bass for me though. my favorite is Frozen Love.

I love your breakdown of the album. Especially your reaction to Lola hehe - when I first heard that I was taken aback too, but I really enjoy it now As for Long Distance Winner, look up the words, they are very Stevie and I like them a lot (I couldn't understand them so well on first listen too). I disagree with you about Crystal, like I said before, I love this version much better, primarily because I love the harmonies - the FM version is too soft for me.

Everytime I listen to this album it does frustrate me some because I just can't understand why that didn't take off! It's just some of their best work imho. I'm not over it yet lol - maybe when I reach their age I'll accept what is maybe...
Old 01-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 View Post
I love your breakdown of the album. Especially your reaction to Lola hehe - when I first heard that I was taken aback too, but I really enjoy it now As for Long Distance Winner, look up the words, they are very Stevie and I like them a lot (I couldn't understand them so well on first listen too). I disagree with you about Crystal, like I said before, I love this version much better, primarily because I love the harmonies - the FM version is too soft for me.
Totally agree. This version of Crystal is way better than FM imo.

Quote:
Everytime I listen to this album it does frustrate me some because I just can't understand why that didn't take off!
True. But, it was starting to gain momentum. It just took a while, and unfortunately Polydor had already dropped them.

Funny some of the comments to me about BN. Nothing has really changed that much in their sound, style, harmonies, writing, or singing - except they sing in lower registers now. This simply showcased their talents to the industry and gave them a bigger platform which gave them an even greater platform with FM.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Funny some of the comments to me about BN. Nothing has really changed that much in their sound, style, harmonies, writing, or singing - except they sing in lower registers now. This simply showcased their talents to the industry and gave them a bigger platform which gave them an even greater platform with FM.
you know, i always wondered what changed so drastically, but to me their sound was shrill and empty - needed more instrumentation or something, Stevie's voice was not disciplined enough and was screechy, and you already know i don't think much of Lindsey's young voice, however huge range he may have had at the time - and much folksier on BN. yes there were flashes that there might be something there, but it needed honing. Lindsey was nowhere near reaching his writing groove yet, he just started. so i'm confused when you say "nothing has changed".

gets me back to our discussion of Lindsey's Soundstage - i really wanted to love that release b/c so many songs that i adore are on it, but many of them sound monotone and empty - there's lack of additional instrumentation, fuller harmonies, something... great examples of that are Rodeo and SYHA on there. those 2 songs are gorgeous sounding on both studio versions (GOS1 and SYW) or when Lindsey would do them completely solo, but these in-between versions just don't work for me. i do understand that Soundstage was put together in the midst of FM tour, unbelievably fast, and it had so many never before performed or released songs, so it's impressive they could pull it together and i'm glad he put it out... but still, that release didn't do all these songs justice.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you know, i always wondered what changed so drastically, but to me their sound was shrill and empty - needed more instrumentation or something, Stevie's voice was not disciplined enough and was screechy, and you already know i don't think much of Lindsey's young voice, however huge range he may have had at the time - and much folksier on BN. yes there were flashes that there might be something there, but it needed honing. Lindsey was nowhere near reaching his writing groove yet, he just started. so i'm confused when you say "nothing has changed".
Granted, they weren't at their peak - but that's something that could be debated. When did they peak - and I mean that from more of a working together thing, not individually. Some may say FM, some Rumours. Or would it be weighed on specific songs. I don't think much changed. The instrumentation -- they added a keyboard and got a better drummer and bass player? As for their voices, I don't necessarily believe it was the change in their voices as much as it could have been how their voices were being recorded or the equipment being used. Did the writing improve? I suppose, but I think the writing on BN holds up just as good. Naturally, as they matured their writing did as well and also as their influences expanded. But, for the most part any change is not so drastic that it causes them to be unrecognizable in this original form -- the style, licks, phrasing -- it's all there.

Quote:
gets me back to our discussion of Lindsey's Soundstage - i really wanted to love that release b/c so many songs that i adore are on it, but many of them sound monotone and empty - there's lack of additional instrumentation, fuller harmonies, something... great examples of that are Rodeo and SYHA on there. those 2 songs are gorgeous sounding on both studio versions (GOS1 and SYW) or when Lindsey would do them completely solo, but these in-between versions just don't work for me. i do understand that Soundstage was put together in the midst of FM tour, unbelievably fast, and it had so many never before performed or released songs, so it's impressive they could pull it together and i'm glad he put it out... but still, that release didn't do all these songs justice.
Dang it elle, don't make me pull that thing out again!! LOL.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Dang it elle, don't make me pull that thing out again!! LOL.
well it is an eye candy, i'll give you that... so probably wouldn't be that hard to re-watch it.

you know, when i first decided to check out Lindsey with and without FM, Soundstage and the very best of FM were 2 releases i bought. the very best b/c i figured it has a variety of mac stuff throughout the years so i can see whether i like them in general (not talking about PG mac which i knew i liked). Soundstage b/c i looked through different periods on youtube and concluded that era was when LB looked by far the best, so if i would't like what i'm hearing, at least it wouldn't be a complete waste of money and time b/c i could just enjoy what i'm seeing.

but you know how much i love GOS1 and some of the main songs from that bootleg are on Soundstage, and they didn't grab me there at all. while since the first time i heard GOS1 bootleg i thought that might be my favorite album anybody ever made. so obviously something is missing on Soundstage, and eye candy alone didn't do it for me.

actually the first complete LB release i heard was Bass recording on rhapsody, and many of those songs just sounded too dark to me when i first heard them. that's why i didn't buy UTS forever, b/c i thought i didn't like those songs, and was actually pleasantly surprised when i finally listened to the the whole album, although still not nearly my favorite album of his.

his solo live arrangements and recordings definitely improved since 2004 - Small Machine is great, arrangements are full and performance is inspired, plus there's amazing selection of SWS material.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
well it is an eye candy, i'll give you that... so probably wouldn't be that hard to re-watch it.

you know, when i first decided to check out Lindsey with and without FM, Soundstage and the very best of FM were 2 releases i bought. the very best b/c i figured it has a variety of mac stuff throughout the years so i can see whether i like them in general (not talking about PG mac which i knew i liked). Soundstage b/c i looked through different periods on youtube and concluded that era was when LB looked by far the best, so if i would't like what i'm hearing, at least it wouldn't be a complete waste of money and time b/c i could just enjoy what i'm seeing.

but you know how much i love GOS1 and some of the main songs from that bootleg are on Soundstage, and they didn't grab me there at all. while since the first time i heard GOS1 bootleg i thought that might be my favorite album anybody ever made. so obviously something is missing on Soundstage, and eye candy alone didn't do it for me.

actually the first complete LB release i heard was Bass recording on rhapsody, and many of those songs just sounded too dark to me when i first heard them. that's why i didn't buy UTS forever, b/c i thought i didn't like those songs, and was actually pleasantly surprised when i finally listened to the the whole album, although still not nearly my favorite album of his.

his solo live arrangements and recordings definitely improved since 2004 - Small Machine is great, arrangements are full and performance is inspired, plus there's amazing selection of SWS material.
Yeah, ok.

BUCKINGHAM NICKS RULES.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, ok.

BUCKINGHAM NICKS RULES.
to each their own.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
to each their own.

& it's still supporting LB.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

& it's still supporting LB.
Exactly!

I love being a BN/FM/SN/LB fan because each entity offers me something different depending on my mood! Sometimes I wonder why I ever venture outside of the FM world There's really no need
Old 01-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly!

I love being a BN/FM/SN/LB fan because each entity offers me something different depending on my mood! Sometimes I wonder why I ever venture outside of the FM world There's really no need
Well said, my friend! Well said.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly!

And no time. I mainly listen in my car and when I saw Aaron Swartz committed suicide I knew that my whole week was shot as far as hearing new stuff, because I was only going to be listening to podcasts about Swartz for the foreseeable future. Sorry unheard Gotye album.

Michele
Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Without a leg to stand on. But It's close with DLMDA and Frozen Love. I adore this album from opening to close, by the way. I think It's a hippiefolkpop Masterpiece.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Frozen Love without any doubt. But the whole album is great

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vincerò non ci son santi. "