User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Billboard: "Candid Covers": Delta Rae Sings Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain"

http://www.billboard.com/column/cand...07298152.story

North Carolina folk rock band Delta Rae has a lot in common with Fleetwood Mac, blending male and female vocals in a soft rock, bluesy style both on their own music and for their cover of "The Chain." Watch them perform the song and talk about how a small moment with Fleetwood Mac changed the big picture for the band, inspiring vocalist Brittany Hölljes to pursue music.

"Fleetwood Mac has always been there for me when I've been having hard moments in my life," said vocalist Brittany Hölljes, discussing the moment in middle school when she was first inspired by the rock quartet. "Fleetwood Mac has always been a huge pillar of my musical interest and influence, so I would say we chose 'The Chain' because it's a song that showcases four-part harmony in a really natural way."

Her brother, band member Eric Hölljes, also thought the song fit Delta Rae perfectly. "'The Chain' is really unique because it doesn't have a lead singer, and it's a very fun song to perform because it has that collective energy."

The six-member group's debut album, "Carry the Fire," is due June 19. "I think it tells you a lot about who we are as a band," Brittany Hölljes said of the record. "I think everybody's really well-represented on the album in terms of their life and their personality and it's got a lot of ghosts, it's got a lot of history. It's emotional, it's energetic, and I think people will really connect to it."

Delta Rae also performed their single, "Bottom of the River," for the Billboard Candid Covers session. "'Bottom of the River' is a song that has mysterious origins to me, even as one of the writers," laughed Eric Hölljes, as he explained his inspiration for the song. "I woke up around five in the morning with the chorus of that song in my head, and I ran to my phone and recorded it. [My brother Ian and I] brought it to the band and it just kind of took on this Old Testament, gospel feeling."

I like it for the most part, though I kinda feel like it's a bit over-harmonized on the chorus.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks ..Rollingstone.com is also streaming their new album.Interesting group not quite as distinctive as the Mac of course.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Didn't know that. I'll have to check them out. I never heard of the group until this morning when I saw this article on Billboard, but I like their sound.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard about these guys a year or so ago when I found their youtube channel. They had an a cappella version of The Chain that they recorded in their bathroom. It was really good but I think they took it down.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default did LB record with Delta Rae?

tweets from yesterday:

Liz Hopkins @BatSparkles
“@KendallCecilia: @BatSparkles love the new version of "If I Loved You" with Lindsey Buckingham!” THANK YOU! Isn't LB amazing on it?!!!!

@VaDeane
@BatSparkles @KendallCecilia wtf? I knew there was a new version of IILY but with LB? Wow @DeltaRae such awe-some-ness!

@EricVega1
@BatSparkles @kendallcecilia So where does one hear this Liz? Inquiring personal photogs wanna know.

@BatSparkles
@EricVega1 miss DJ @kendallcecilia drops that jam on @WERS889FM ! ❤❤❤

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I went to see Mary Chapin Carpenter 2 tours ago and the opening band did The Chain as well. I can't remember if it was this group or not. I remember that there were a lot of singers, but for some reason I remember them all being women, but that might be totally wrong and it might have been them. Anyway, I like their version.