The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-02-2006, 05:09 PM
dansven dansven is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
"Israeli Sessions - Peter Green/Shimon Holly".
According to the information I received these jams took
place in the summer of 1983 or 1984. The sessions feature
Shimon Holly (guitar) and Fregel (drums"
Thanks John!

So, summer 1983-84... wouldn't that be one of the trips that Kolors did to Israel?? I remember reading in the biography that one of these trips really messed up Peter ... lots of talk about money etc...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Mario Mario is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Acqui Terme (AL) Italy
Posts: 379
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
Hello from Poland,

I have this Sessionography printed out from not existing site www.petergreen.net It is a great treasure for Greeny fans. It ends in 2000. Thanks Mario for your great work )) I think you are now working on the complete sessionography ) It would be fantastic to help you by tracing Greeny's activities and giving information on Ledge forum. Apart from my earlier info of unknown recordings I'd like to show an interesting link with details about PGFM sessions and live shows http://www.chromeoxide.com/green.htm Maybe it would be usful? But I'm almost sure you know this site )) But maybe others don't know.

Regards
Krzysztof
Hello Krzysztoff

yes I'm still updtading the Sessionography on a regular basis and I put lots on new stuff on it, as sessions with Rudy Rotta, Chris Coco and the recent release of Otis Spann's and Duster Bennett's Blue Horizon Sessions, plus the two unreleased tracks from the 2006 reissue of "Blue Memphis Suite".

So turning again on that "Israeli Session", I don't believe it came from summer 1983/1984.
Ok Peter's story (and Martin Celmins book as well) tell us that he went in Tel Aviv back in summer 1984 with Kolors, when the tour suddently stopped, because the promoters, ran out of money, but after some more accurate inquiries, my personal historical setting is late 1981/early 1982, beetwen "Whatcha Gonna Do", Peter guest spot for Brian Knight's "A Dark Horse" and "White Sky".

Why?

well....
1- the Israeli Session, sleeve shows Peter playing a Gibson Les Paul, but it looks as the Les Paul is not the same one Peter is holding on some early PVK promo shots, circa 1978/1979, but also tell us that Peter wasn't in his long fingernails era 1983/1984/1985, while he was touring with Kolors (see the back cover of the 2005 reissue of the "Kolors" album.

2-On the Israeli session sleeve, I think Peter looks very similar to the photo available on the back cover of "Whatcha Gonna Do" and/or the "White Sky" band, also available on the 2005 reissue of "White Sky".

3-Last, but not the least, Peter's playing is too good for 1983/1984,we know damn well that in those years because of his illness he lost most of that "Greeny" energy and power; also he bends strings in a way he totally stopped during his Kolors days.

Anyway any input from you at the Ledge would be most welcome.

On a final note, Israeli Session has some great blues guitar and I'm pretty sure that it's right to say that had Peter played like that during his Splinter Group days, then we all had cried tears of joy!


Stay Green,

Mario.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-02-2006, 07:44 PM
dino dino is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
my personal historical setting is late 1981/early 1982, beetwen "Whatcha Gonna Do", Peter guest spot for Brian Knight's "A Dark Horse" and "White Sky".

Mario.
Yep, sound plausible.
Listen to the "A dark horse" tracks. Peter plays very well on them,
so he must have been in good health around that time.
The main difference between those two sessions is he
plays with a Les Paul on the Israeli session - the Knight
session sounds like a Strat.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 PM
dansven dansven is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 725
Default

Mario, you have indeed 3 strong points there!
I tend to agree with you now, it's very hard to believe that the playing on this session belongs to Peter Green of the final days of Kolors.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-07-2008, 10:57 AM
kowk's Avatar
kowk kowk is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Stalowa Wola, Poland
Posts: 223
Default Israeli radio broadcast music from this session

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

well....
1- the Israeli Session, sleeve shows Peter playing a Gibson Les Paul, but it looks as the Les Paul is not the same one Peter is holding on some early PVK promo shots, circa 1978/1979, but also tell us that Peter wasn't in his long fingernails era 1983/1984/1985, while he was touring with Kolors (see the back cover of the 2005 reissue of the "Kolors" album.

2-On the Israeli session sleeve, I think Peter looks very similar to the photo available on the back cover of "Whatcha Gonna Do" and/or the "White Sky" band, also available on the 2005 reissue of "White Sky".

3-Last, but not the least, Peter's playing is too good for 1983/1984,we know damn well that in those years because of his illness he lost most of that "Greeny" energy and power; also he bends strings in a way he totally stopped during his Kolors days.

Mario.
On the site
http://www.elimarcus.com/ElisBluesRadio.html
there is an description:
09. Peter Green and Shimon Holly, Long Jam, live jam recorded in Israel early 1980's

It was broadcast (Eli's Blues) by Israel public radio 88FM, Sunday, November 4th, 2007 (09:00-10:00 PM Jerusalem time)

I asked Eli Marcus about some details but he didn't know much about this session.
But the info about the title Long Jam and an approximate date of recordings sounds interesting :-)

Regards
Krzysztof
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Bassman Bassman is offline
Junior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 15
Default Tel Aviv

I think I can confirm that Kolors went to Tel Aviv for a festival in 1985, it was headlined by Marillion, and various other artists. Very poorly attended, no one got paid.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
zoork_1 zoork_1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
I think I can confirm that Kolors went to Tel Aviv for a festival in 1985, it was headlined by Marillion, and various other artists. Very poorly attended, no one got paid.
Thanks Bassman, do you have more info on the festival in 1985?

/z
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Mrpeabody Mrpeabody is offline
Junior Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 29
Default

Just to confirm, the Hebrew on that CD cover does indeed translate into the two gentlemen's names.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:23 AM
kowk's Avatar
kowk kowk is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Stalowa Wola, Poland
Posts: 223
Default Intersting news about Green/Holly session - WINTER 1979 !!!!

I found on eBay auction interesting details about this session.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peter-Green-...item3cb1445cf1

Jams took place in the winter of 79 in ISRAEL ,TEL AVIV ESHEL STUDIO

The sessions feature Peter Green and Shimon Holly (guitar) ,Ofer Eckerling (guitar)
Josef Buzin ( drums) , Fima Shuster (from Stella Maris band- keyboards) , Koby (?) Bass gitar.

The CD including 2 never reliesed songs , full instrumental high quality level recordings :
Total time: 2 songs , 16 minutes of peace of art (7min. + 9 min.)
Name of blues song is Sometimeד I sad

In 1979, landed in the legendary guitarist Peter Green. Meets with Israeli guitar giant Simon Holly. And recorded with him in two pieces, a quarter of an hour in total,
__________________
Krzysztof

Last edited by kowk : 03-22-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:44 AM
kowk's Avatar
kowk kowk is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Stalowa Wola, Poland
Posts: 223
Default Or maybe Green/Holly session was in the summer 1978 :-)

http://www.discogs.com/Peter-Green-S...elease/2981613

Description:
Peter Green paid a surprise visit to Israel in the summer of 1978 and jammed with local musicians in Tel Aviv Eshel studio. The sessions features the following musicians: Peter Green and Shimon Holly (guitar), Josef Buzzin ( drums), Fima Shuster (from Stella Maris band- keyboards), Bass gitar (uknown).
The CD including 2 never reliesed blues insrumental tracks with high quality superb sound.
__________________
Krzysztof
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-23-2012, 07:02 PM
mzero mzero is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
http://www.discogs.com/Peter-Green-S...elease/2981613

Description:
Peter Green paid a surprise visit to Israel in the summer of 1978 and jammed with local musicians in Tel Aviv Eshel studio. The sessions features the following musicians: Peter Green and Shimon Holly (guitar), Josef Buzzin ( drums), Fima Shuster (from Stella Maris band- keyboards), Bass gitar (uknown).
The CD including 2 never reliesed blues insrumental tracks with high quality superb sound.
thanks kowk! 78/79 makes a lot more sense than the 80's. pete plays so well on these. mystery solved? z
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 AM
Mario Mario is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Acqui Terme (AL) Italy
Posts: 379
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
thanks kowk! 78/79 makes a lot more sense than the 80's. pete plays so well on these. mystery solved? z
I don't know..it sounds more like 1981 for me....

Mario.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-07-2017, 02:01 PM
dino dino is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 621
Default

It seems another track from these sessions has surfaced. It's not one of the 2 tracks we've already heard, is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxTQq0OixUo

Definitely sounds like late 70's to me.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-08-2017, 10:33 AM
dansven dansven is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 725
Default

Isn't this one of the two blues jams on the two-track single? I don't have the single right here, but there were one slow and one uptempo track. I found this "The Woman On The Beach" a while ago listed on an Israeli radio station. It had been broadcast. It's nice to have a title at least, since the bootlegs just listed the songs as "Blues 1" and "Blues 2". Or "Slow Blues" and "Fast Blues".
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-09-2017, 05:48 AM
dino dino is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 621
Default

Yes you're right, Daniel. It's the second, slow track from the cd single.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo pictureSam Moore/Bekka Bramlett Signed/Autographed CD Sleeve/Obtained In Person
$12.95
Sam Moore/Bekka Bramlett Signed/Autographed CD Sleeve/Obtained In Person picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved