Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mick Washing Cars for Charity

[I don't think Mick could get my white walls clean]

http://mauinow.com/2011/04/26/music-...-up-for-japan/
Maui News, April 26, 2011

Music Icon Mick Fleetwood Suds up for Japan

Legendary drummer and music icon, Mick Fleetwood, will wash cars on Maui this Saturday as part of the “Aloha for Japan Celebrity Carwash.”

Fleetwood, who is a Maui resident, and noted as the co-founding member of the iconic band, Fleetwood Mac, recently performed at a fundraiser in Waikiki where artists raised $1.6 million for Japan relief.

“I’m equally supportive of programs like this carwash right in my own community because I believe that if every community came together and did programs such as this, the total effect could be so beneficial,” said Fleetwood.

The event is hosted by the Ho’ole’a Terrace at Kehalani, with 100 percent of proceeds going to the American Red Cross to support those affected by last month’s devastating earthquake and tsunami.

The carwash will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, April 30th at the Ho’ole’a Terrace in Wailuku. The carwash will be by donation only. The first 25 people to donate $25 or more will receive a free official “Aloha for Japan” t-shirt.

Featured celebrities include local business and community leaders, entertainers, and youth groups who will wash cars to support relief efforts in Japan.

Celebrities scheduled to be in attendance include: recording artist, Marty Dread; musician Henry Kapono; KPOA Radio Personalities the Hawaiian Homeboy Shane Kahalehau and Sista Val; Miss Maui 2011 Maya Iida, Maui Council member Gladys Baisa, KISS-FM Morning Show co-host Makani; Maui Visitors Bureau Executive Director, Terryl Vencl; KNUI Maui Breakfast Club co-host, Tom Blackburn-Rodriguez; State Rep. George Fontaine; Maui Fair Managing Director Sherri Grimes; Hawaii’s Hottest New Band, The Throwdowns; Paifico & I’O Chef James McDonald; Maui Hotel & Lodging Association Executive Director Carol Reimann, and more.

Featured entertainment includes Hawaii’s Reggae Ambassador Marty Dread. Entertainment and food are being provided free to the public through the generous donation of time and services by Maui Rents & Sales, SoundsGood Audio and Keiki Corner. The event will also include prize drawings and giveaways.

Signs will direct motorists to the event. More details and directions to the event can be found at Facebook.com/hooleaterrace or by calling (808) 871-6230 ext. 12.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Celebrity Carwash Raises Four Thousand Dollars in Four Hours
May 3rd, 2011 · Comments (0) · Featured, Maui News Share | By Wendy Osher

The Aloha for Japan Celebrity Car Wash held over the weekend at the Ho’ole’a Terrace raised an estimated $4,000 in four hours. The funds raised are going towards the American Red Cross tsunami and earthquake relief efforts in Japan.

Over the course of the event, more than 100 cars were soaped up and sprayed down by dozens of volunteers, including familiar names such as Mick Fleetwood, Henry Kapono and Marty Dread.

The car wash was held at Ho’ole’a Terrace at Kehalani, the island’s newest community from Maui developer Stanford Carr. Laurie Lee, principal broker for the property, credited the generosity of the Maui community for the success of the event.

“Aloha lives on Maui,” said Lee. “Many showed their aloha with their wallets, and many more by donating their time to lend a hand for the greater good. Our most sincere appreciation goes out to our family of volunteers and our island community. It’s because of them we surpassed our fundraising goals and are able to send a little aloha to our extended ‘ohana across the Pacific,” said Lee.

Click on Link for photo:
Mick Fleetwood, legendary drummer and co-founding member of the iconic band, Fleetwood Mac, gets soapy for Japan with Maui Fire Department Chief Jeffrey Murray (behind Fleetwood), The Throwdowns’ Ian Hollingsworth (right), and Screenwriter Brian Kohne (back facing camera).

http://mauinow.com/2011/05/03/celebr...in-four-hours/
Old 05-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Mick is looking like quite the Hawaiian Santa Claus these days (ie: he is thinner than Santa and has a tan! )

Anyone know what the story is behind his necklace? I've seen him wear it the past couple of years. Looks like a neat piece. Is it supposed to be something in particular? It kinda looks like a giant gold fish hook to me!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

haha, love it! Mick having a good time.

Louie, that hook looks very similar to the Hei-Matau, which is a sign of respect for the waters, its creatures and travelers... so it's also regarded as good luck charm providing protection and safety while traveling over water. And we know how superstitious Mac Daddy is!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh wow, the pendant had even more meaning behind it than I thought it would! Thanks for the schooling!