The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default The Lindsey Buckingham Masterpiece that never was...???

What do you think?

Side A

01 - What's The World Coming To
02 - Murrow Turning Over In His Grave
03 - Miranda
04 - Red Rover
05 - Come

Side B

06 - Peacekeeper
07 - Bleed To Love Her
08 - Steal Your Heart Away
09 - Love Minus Zero/No Limit
10 - Say Goodbye

Old 05-01-2020, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Masterpiece

I think most fans consider the original Gift of Screws (bootlegs circulating, cannabalized into several records, Under The Skin, Say You Will, the official Gift of Scews, etc.) as the masterpiece that never was.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Strongly dislike "Come" and don't much care for "What's The World Coming To" (complaint rock), "Red Rover," "Peacekeeper," or that too-fast arrangement of "Say Goodbye" (though I like the song).
Old 05-03-2020, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
What do you think?

Side A

01 - What's The World Coming To
02 - Murrow Turning Over In His Grave
03 - Miranda
04 - Red Rover
05 - Come

Side B

06 - Peacekeeper
07 - Bleed To Love Her
08 - Steal Your Heart Away
09 - Love Minus Zero/No Limit

10 - Say Goodbye
thanks for this thread! always happy to talk about GOS1 - the most spectacular LB solo album that never happened.

i bolded songs a love - so basically your opening and ending song choices i cannot stand but all others would be in my pick as well.

What's The World Coming to was not on the original GOS and doesn't deserve to be, imo. musically, i never cared for that song. and when Nicks' horrible nasal voice come in, my ears just start to bleed and i have to skip to another song, if i haven't immediately after the song started already.

adore Lindsey's version of Love Minus Zero (also not on original GOS). his little ornate guitar parts add something special to it. very different from Clapton's version, for example.

never care for Say Goodbye - the fast or the slow version. such schmaltz. in fact, the very definition of schmaltz. no Lindsey, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
I think most fans consider the original Gift of Screws (bootlegs circulating, cannabalized into several records, Under The Skin, Say You Will, the official Gift of Screws, etc.) as the masterpiece that never was.
agree 1000 %, as you know already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Strongly dislike "Come" and don't much care for "What's The World Coming To" (complaint rock), "Red Rover," "Peacekeeper," or that too-fast arrangement of "Say Goodbye" (though I like the song).
interesting. you are selecting many of the songs that are fantastic but different from decades old mac formula. and that's fine if one likes formula, something familiar to wrap you in its warmth.

Come and Red Rover are amazing songs, and propelling Mac and Lindsey's music forward instead of keep on running to stand still. WTWCT i already bashed above, so i'm with you there. musically WYWCT and Peacekeeper (Mac version) are regular run of the mill songs. lyrics-wise, they are way forward for Lindsey, instead of i-love-you/you-don't-love-me stuff that Mac's 3 classic songwriters became famous for. while i can't stand WTWCT, i actually love Peacekeeper, especially the much faster solo version.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-03-2020, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You guys are despoiling some of my favorite songs. I’m going back to Facebook for a few hours.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-03-2020, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You guys are despoiling some of my favorite songs. I’m going back to Facebook for a few hours.
haha - wrapped in the warmth of facebook group think, no?

tell us David, i always learn something from your opinions!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-07-2020, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That is why I don’t want an acoustic COVID-19 concert. Because Lindsey would be ‘saying goodbye‘ for 90 minutes in a whisper voice.

You say goodbye to me strum, strum, strum. I say good bye to you strum. Strum, strum. You say good bye to me, strum, strum, strum ...”

I’d have to kill myself.

But I enjoyed the song in concert because Stevie and Lindsey were very cute together. Oh don’t hate. They were cute. Too bad she’s dead now.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That is why I don’t want an acoustic COVID-19 concert. Because Lindsey would be ‘saying goodbye‘ for 90 minutes in a whisper voice.

You say goodbye to me strum, strum, strum. I say good bye to you strum. Strum, strum. You say good bye to me, strum, strum, strum ...”

I’d have to kill myself.

But I enjoyed the song in concert because Stevie and Lindsey were very cute together. Oh don’t hate. They were cute. Too bad she’s dead now.
You managed to make me laugh twice today. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to check out some Wolfgang melodies. I think I'll play the 40th Symphony. That's one of my fav's
Old 05-07-2020, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If only….
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
If only….
One can dream....

(I wrote that yesterday, but deleted it...I didn't want to be the first)
Old 05-08-2020, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
lyrics-wise, they are way forward for Lindsey.
"Everyone's gone to the moon / What's the world coming to" is IMO just awful. And much of the verse lyrics are, again IMO, Lindsey at his most self-pitying – a truly unattractive trait.

Last edited by cbBen; 05-08-2020 at 01:14 AM..
Old 05-08-2020, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
One can dream....

(I wrote that yesterday, but deleted it...I didn't want to be the first)
Oh, you know, I'm following Stevie's steps. I don't have to feel remorse because I think I didn't do anything wrong at all…

She would be proud of me.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I’d have to kill myself.