The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Will you vote Democratic?
Yes, I'll vote for Obama 27 49.09%
No, I'll vote for McCain 13 23.64%
Only, If Hillary is on the ticket 6 10.91%
I dont know yet 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post

Poll finds majority of Dems want Obama-Clinton ticket
I hope his campaign is smart enough to realize that they need her.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I hope his campaign is smart enough to realize that they need her.
Like a hole in the head ..the baggage that the Clintons would bring to the bottom of the ticket would more than offset any gains from disgruntled Hillary supporters .Obama's campaign has been about change and the Clinton's do not represent that ..and if anyone questions that Obama and his campaign are not smart consider that he has just bested the finest political operative of his time and his wife at their own game ..I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for gramps..er maybe not.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hillary Clinton wants to change the way America consumes fossil fuels. She wants to change our health care system. She wants to change government's attitude toward the threat of global warming. Change treatment of gays from hostility to acceptance. Change the practice of private security firms operating outside the law. Change the resistance to science and the breakthroughs it could provide in stem cell research. Does this put her in violation of Obama's registered trademark of this word?

And "baggage" is a funny way to describe the assets brought by the candidate who was the people's choice.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok Hillary can be an agent for change back in the Senate ..Barack will likely look elsewhere for his veep..I can't imagine he'd want the Clinton contingent and all that entails followimg him around for eight years..I don't hate the Clintons .I voted for Bill twice for chissakes ..I just believe it would be a mistake.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Like a hole in the head ..the baggage that the Clintons would bring to the bottom of the ticket would more than offset any gains from disgruntled Hillary supporters .Obama's campaign has been about change and the Clinton's do not represent that ..and if anyone questions that Obama and his campaign are not smart consider that he has just bested the finest political operative of his time and his wife at their own game ..I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for gramps..er maybe not.

54% of D's disagree with you and they are the one's likely to be voting.

And, to say Hillary does not want to effectuate change is untrue. This is the woman who tried to provide healthcare to the masses in the 90's, but was shot down. Also, as noted above, her platform was all about change and how she was going to achieve that goal, which Obama has yet to set definite plans for. So, I see this as a win win, esp. considering everyone already knows Hillary's baggage and she still arguably won the popular primary vote or, at the least was neck in neck with Obama

Personally, I think she should not be the VP because I think she is far more effective as a Senator. But, I am willing to go with the will of the D party.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post

And, to say Hillary does not want to effectuate change is untrue.
ok maybe change was not the best choice of words..any Democrat would be a change from the abysmal administration that has been ruining the country these last 7 and a half years..I should have said something like "new blood" or 'fresh faces".The Clintons after all were in the White House for 8 years so the perception there is she is more part of the status quo.Hillary is certainly tough and a very sharp woman so those things are pluses.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ok maybe change was not the best choice of words..any Democrat would be a change from the abysmal administration that has been ruining the country these last 7 and a half years..I should have said something like "new blood" or 'fresh faces".The Clintons after all were in the White House for 8 years so the perception there is she is more part of the status quo.Hillary is certainly tough and a very sharp woman so those things are pluses.
Touche' my friend

Old 06-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why are Barack Obama's lips purple? Is he cold? Edward G. Robinson had the same problem. Bette Davis used to call him "liver lips."

Beethoven did not have this problem. But his face was pockmarked & swarthy.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I don't know now honestly. He really seems like a "sheep in wolves clothing" to me, and thats scary. But i will not be voting for osama obama (as i have heard him called) but then again, i dont know if our country can survive annother term of a republican president. Oh good lord, if only oprah had indorsed Hillary.

here, ill save you the trouble,blah, blah, your statements are so ignorant blah blah, obama rules, blah blah, grandpa mccain is a war vet.
-just save it.

I actually agree with you, believe it or not.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There was a commentator on tv Sunday morning saying that as far as V.P., it's not Hilary that needs to be appeased. It's Bill. To borrow a phrase from Stephen King, when it comes to Bill - there ARE hard feelings - - - ALL KINDS of them!

Apparently Bill C. feels that Obama and his campaign painted him out to be a racist, and that that perception could potentially damage the "legacy" he's trying to rescue. So if Obama does want to pick Hilary as his running mate, he's gonna have some fences to mend with Bill Clinton first.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker View Post

Apparently Bill C. feels that Obama and his campaign painted him out to be a racist, and that that perception could potentially damage the "legacy" he's trying to rescue. So if Obama does want to pick Hilary as his running mate, he's gonna have some fences to mend with Bill Clinton first.
It almost seems to me like Bubba was deliberately trying to sabotage Hillary's campaign .I would have thought he was waaaaay too smart to make those remarks about Jessie Jackson winning South Carolina twice in the 1980s.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would say that he squeaked out a win over the Clinton powerhouse, barely, despite the collusion of party insiders and the press, manipulation of caucuses and every low down and dirty campaign tactic. He's the Forrest Gump candidate as far as I am concerned. To be fair, he really should have completely decimated Hillary with all of the cards in his deck, but instead he lost the popular vote and had to get the party to select him despite the will of the people. Pathetic.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It almost seems to me like Bubba was deliberately trying to sabotage Hillary's campaign .I would have thought he was waaaaay too smart to make those remarks about Jessie Jackson winning South Carolina twice in the 1980s.
The pundits have been saying that the old Bill, i.e., pre-bypass surgery, would never have said these things. I don't know what to think... but apparently those kinds of major surgeries are pretty transforming.

Ultimately I don't think it was Bubba trying to undermine Hillary, as much as he naively underestimated the degree and ferocity to which Obama's camp would pull the race card. I think what he said about South Carolina was perfectly appropriate and factual.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^
Exactly -- I mean it is as if the Obama supporters are celebrating a landslide victry, which even Obama himself readily says it was not and referes to it instead as a hard fought battle, which it was.

As for Bill Clinton's SC comments, I believe they were factual in that Jesse Jackson did win SC. And, Bill Clinton was responding to the fact that both were black and both got the black vote, which also was factual. How is that racist? Or, are white people never supposed to noted what black people do unless it is in the context of pointing out that black people are oppressed? Give me a break. Interstingly, what if Obama had said, "like Jesse Jackson, on of the other pioneers in the advancement of black people in polotics - I won SC." Would that have been tied up as racist?

Of course Bill Clinton was pointing out that Jesse Jackson ultimately lost the nomination. But, that is not racist. It is a fact and he was drawing an analogy. Yet, the media pounced on it was whitey putting all the blacks in one basket. To me, that is BS.

The media also took it to mean that black voters will vote for a black candidate. He was doing that. And, he was correct (80%) in the case of SC To be fair, Obama got many white votes as well. But, Clinton was pointing out that the black vote is heavily in favor of Obama.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 06-09-2008 at 08:18 AM..
Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ok Hillary can be an agent for change back in the Senate ..Barack will likely look elsewhere for his veep..I can't imagine he'd want the Clinton contingent and all that entails followimg him around for eight years..I don't hate the Clintons .I voted for Bill twice for chissakes ..I just believe it would be a mistake.
Heaven forbid Obama would want any insight from the Clinton presidency or the bloc of female, Latino, Asian, and working class white voters that Hillary curated! Heck, he doesn't even need the youth or black votes! He was already hand-selected by the DNC, so perhaps they're busy trying to figure out a way to get the Supreme Court to select the president again- in his favor, of course.

The fact of the matter is that Hillary is the gift that keeps on giving. Even on hiatus, her name keeps being mentioned like a summer re-run. She can pretty much make or break him now, and it's a no-win situation for him as it is. If he asks her to be VP, he will be seen as weak and contradicting his message of "change." Plus, the GOP will have a field day with Hillary's taped remarks about Obama's weaknesses and vice-versa. If he doesn't ask her, the party will remain divided and scores of women will refuse to vote or will vote for McCain in protest. And if he tries to put some token female on his ticket, like Napolitano or Sebelius, he will appear to be pandering to the female base. Bill "Judas" Richardson and Nancy Pelosi (who have basically sabotaged their own political careers forever) will never be forgiven by Hillary supporters and Edwards and Gore have already gone on record as not being interested. There are no other powerhouse names left. In the sum of all things, Hillary seems to be the lesser of all evils.