Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Time" Appreciation Thread

"Time" has a fetchingly humble quality, does it not? It seems so free of self-importance & haughtiness. It features good songs by Billy Burnett, Bekka Bramlett & Christine McVie, & musicianship that is skillful yet unobtrusive. I think it contains Mick Fleetwood's best drumming during the entire period of 1984 to 2006. If you listen closely to the drum tracks & pay attention to them, you will hear the beauties that I do. His licks have spectral lines & sensitive retenue. The Dave Mason material is poor, but at least it's well engineered. Throughout the album, in fact, the engineering & production bespeak sureness, delineation, proper balance, & even freshness -- coming as it does amid a deluge of grunge magpies. Mr. Richard Dashut is to be commended heartily. "Time" is the album "Behind the Mask" should have been (especially given the fact that Fleetwood Mac's audience was somewhat larger in 1990).

I'm going to listen to "Time" right now!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorites are These Strange Times and Hollywood.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
"Time" has a fetchingly humble quality, does it not? It seems so free of self-importance & haughtiness. It features good songs by Billy Burnett, Bekka Bramlett & Christine McVie, & musicianship that is skillful yet unobtrusive. I think it contains Mick Fleetwood's best drumming during the entire period of 1984 to 2006. If you listen closely to the drum tracks & pay attention to them, you will hear the beauties that I do. His licks have spectral lines & sensitive retenue. The Dave Mason material is poor, but at least it's well engineered. Throughout the album, in fact, the engineering & production bespeak sureness, delineation, proper balance, & even freshness -- coming as it does amid a deluge of grunge magpies. Mr. Richard Dashut is to be commended heartily. "Time" is the album "Behind the Mask" should have been (especially given the fact that Fleetwood Mac's audience was somewhat larger in 1990).

I'm going to listen to "Time" right now!
I don't agree that Dave Mason's material is "poor"...those two songs sound just like all his other material...either of those songs could fit seamlessly on either It's Like You Never Left or Split Coconut (my two favorites of Dave's solo material after Alone Together) It just is odd because "that" sound was then part of Fleetwood Mac.

The only thing about Time I DON'T care for is its running order. A quick reprogramming of that and it flows like an unbouldered river.

I definitely agree about the production & engineering of Time being better than Behind The Mask. It is just too bad that they didn't have Dashut at the helm for BTM. It would've been crisper & more defined.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I don't agree that Dave Mason's material is "poor"...those two songs sound just like all his other material...either of those songs could fit seamlessly on either It's Like You Never Left or Split Coconut (my two favorites of Dave's solo material after Alone Together) It just is odd because "that" sound was then part of Fleetwood Mac.

The only thing about Time I DON'T care for is its running order. A quick reprogramming of that and it flows like an unbouldered river.

I definitely agree about the production & engineering of Time being better than Behind The Mask. It is just too bad that they didn't have Dashut at the helm for BTM. It would've been crisper & more defined.
That's right. Richard helped produce Time, didnt he?
Old 03-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

never heard this album, but I've always wanted to. I need to pick it up.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do like the album cover.

Blow by Blow blows as do all the Dave Mason tracks. Really cheeseball, gorgonzola stuff. A cheese ball. Love his work in Traffic though.

Christine shines. Give me Hollywood (Some Other Kind Of Town) anyday. Please add Nights In Estoril and I Do.

I do miss Rick Vito.

Bekka is sweet but too sugar for the darkside of the Mac.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't like Dave Mason & Billy Burnette's songs on Time. But, I love the Chris & Becka songs. I actually like Bekka's songs almost as much as Christine's songs. I agree that the Time production is better than the BTM production, thanks to Richard Dashut. Time, as a whole is far, far better than it's given credit for. My favorite songs are "All Over Again", "Nights In Estoril", "Sooner Or Later" & all three of Bekka's songs.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't agree that Dave Mason's material is "poor"...those two songs sound just like all his other material...
Lyrically, maybe. His lyrics could go from cliché to downright cheesy, but his delivery was such that you never really noticed or cared. His songs, for me, are very similiar to those of Christine McVie.
Quote:
either of those songs could fit seamlessly on either It's Like You Never Left or Split Coconut (my two favorites of Dave's solo material after Alone Together) It just is odd because "that" sound was then part of Fleetwood Mac.
I can't say that I hear anything close to "It's Like You Never Left" or "Split Coconut" with either of his "Time" songs. Both of those albums (like all of his albums, really) had a much more AOR feel than either of those songs. Then, suddenly he's Mr. Hard Rocker??? Even his last studio solo album, "Two Hearts," was more AOR and could easily have fit in with the Fleetwood Mac sound. What Mason actually did with the Mac came off as cheesy. FWIW, "Every Woman," "Headkeeper," and "She's A Friend" would have fit in well with Fleetwood Mac. (Imagine Stevie harmonizing on "Headkeeper." 'Twould have rocked!)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I don't like Dave Mason & Billy Burnette's songs on Time. But, I love the Chris & Becka songs. I actually like Bekka's songs almost as much as Christine's songs. I agree that the Time production is better than the BTM production, thanks to Richard Dashut. Time, as a whole is far, far better than it's given credit for. My favorite songs are "All Over Again", "Nights In Estoril", "Sooner Or Later" & all three of Bekka's songs.
"Dreaming the Dream" is an exquisite ballad, delivered with just the right vocality: searching, halting, what Beethoven called beklemmt (over the Cavatina of the Op. 130 string quartet).

Bummer that Mac didn't play that one at Konocti Harbor in either '94 or '95 ("Dreaming the Dream," not the Op. 130 string quartet).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Bummer that Mac didn't play that one at Konocti Harbor in either '94 or '95 ("Dreaming the Dream," not the Op. 130 string quartet).
They played it in Cincinnati in 1995. One of the only times I ever got choked up at a concert, BTW.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
They played it in Cincinnati in 1995. One of the only times I ever got choked up at a concert, BTW.
You choked on something, steve? OH MY GOD!! Like a stray bite of pickle, or the beer went down the wrong pipe? I could have choked at Konocti Harbor Spa & Resort because it was a dinner club. You ate your prime rib & rice pilaf, & then you turned your chair around so your back faced the table & your handsome face was toward the stage ... and there WAS FLEETWOOD MAC!!!!

BEKLEMMT!!! BEKLEMMT!!!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is absolutely one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac albums (it ranks WAY above Rumours). Everyone is at their best and the music is just perfect. I even love Mick's contribution, "These Strange Times."

Really, I have only one complaint: not enough Bekka. I realize that with so many vocalists in one group none of them would get many songs, but I still think she got the short end of the stick.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just didn´t like the album, enough to listen it frequently. I did like BTM enough.

By the way, who is Greg LaDanyi (the BTM producer), where they found him? What was his experience?
Old 03-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
What was his experience?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Ladanyi

Possibly explains a number of things.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The main issue I have with Time is that it is crap - well for Fleetwood Mac anyway. I would have preferred Mick to not soil Fleetwood Mac's name any further, and just gone ahead and re-recorded with The Zoo.

there is one positive though, the production is much better than BTM.