Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default how many copies did Time sell?

I heard this album sold less than 40,000 copies. Is this really true? I mean I must admit, this album doesnt feature my favorite lineup, but the album is serviceable in my opinion, and I wouldve though the Fletwood Mac name alone would have been good for 100,000 or so?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

According to this post (which is an old one, but I haven't found anything newer) it sold about 50 000 copies in the USA. I don't know the sales figures for the rest of the world, but I suspect it probably sold the same amount outside of USA, so your guess would probably be close to reality.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 08-16-2005, 05:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Time also has the dubious distinction of being the only Fleetwood Mac studio album of new material to fail to make the Billboard top 200 in the entire 38 years of the band's extistence.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think diss has more posts than the number of copies Time sold.

It's ashame, too. It's a pretty good album.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
It's ashame, too. It's a pretty good album.
It's sad how some people who probably haven't even heard it write it off, too.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I heard this album sold less than 40,000 copies. Is this really true? I mean I must admit, this album doesnt feature my favorite lineup, but the album is serviceable in my opinion, and I wouldve though the Fletwood Mac name alone would have been good for 100,000 or so?
Maybe its Time will come one day. . .

On the other hand, maybe not.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, if the other 60,000 would've been TOLD it even existed, it probably would've sold that many.

It was released with less than zero publicity or marketing; the band ENDED their tour before the album was released (and played only two songs from the upcoming album..."Blow By Blow" & "Dreaming The Dream")...so, I think those 40,000 people got something pretty special.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
It's sad how some people who probably haven't even heard it write it off, too.
People are narrowminded. Time is actually pretty good. I break it out 4 or 5 times a year.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Well, if the other 60,000 would've been TOLD it even existed, it probably would've sold that many.

It was released with less than zero publicity or marketing; the band ENDED their tour before the album was released (and played only two songs from the upcoming album..."Blow By Blow" & "Dreaming The Dream")...so, I think those 40,000 people got something pretty special.
That album definitely came out of nowhere - it was suddenly just there, in the racks... I recall being very surprised to see it It took me a while to get round to buying it, but I'm really glad I did, I still enjoy it very much.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Im one of the 40,000 who bought the album and I really dont care for it. Actually I think I listened to it twice and one of my shih-tsu's chewed it up The dog is dead. How I miss that dog !!!
Old 08-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACFAN
Im one of the 40,000 who bought the album and I really dont care for it. Actually I think I listened to it twice and one of my shih-tsu's chewed it up The dog is dead. How I miss that dog !!!
You're not suggesting that there's a connection between the quality of the 'Time' album and the death of your dog, are you?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I bought it the day it came out, and I still listen to it a few times a year. At the time, I really loved the album, though in retrospect, some if it is disappointing. What I don't like about the album are Dave's songs and the whole different personnel on different songs with different producers thing. I had certain hopes for Dave's songs that just didn't pan out. His stuff was a little too one dimensional. I also feel that Christine had too many songs, while the boys had too few. Bekka, just right.

That being said, the Bekka and Billy stuff was great and I enjoyed most of Christine's songs. And, Mick's lead work on "These Strange Times" was quite good, in a David Gilmore kind of way.

Overall, I'll agree that it wasn't the band's best effort, but it's nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be. And, I don't feel the sales indicate quality. Lindsey's masterpiece "Out Of The Cradle" sold about the same number of copies. As I've pointed out before, "Time," "Street Angel," and OOTC combined sold less than half a million, so it's not like any of them were setting the world on fire.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know, one thing I think that hurt Time was the fact that they were touring on what alot of people (Not yours truly) viewed as a strictly nostalgia tour with REO Speedwagon and someone else I cant remember at the moment
Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You know, one thing I think that hurt Time was the fact that they were touring on what alot of people (Not yours truly) viewed as a strictly nostalgia tour with REO Speedwagon and someone else I cant remember at the moment
Pat Benetar and Orleans (Still The One, Dance With Me). I don't see how it hurt the album, when they didn't have an album out at that time. Many fans saw that tour, as well as the tour with Crosby, Stills, & Nash the year before, as the band building stage chemistry for when the album eventually came out and as a way to make some money. However, after the album was released, the band basically split up. Of course, I have my theory as to why they just let the album die. Long story short, I don't think it's coincidental that "Twisted" was released only seven months to the day after "Time."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-17-2005, 12:49 PM

I like Time more than SYW. Don't care for Dave's songs too much.

A "Dave" on any FM always has bad songs.