Default M S C A E

M.S.C.A.E.

So - it's been over a year since we've all had the lyrics -

Does anyone know what MSCAE stands for?

Just curious.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought I heard Lindsey say it didn't really stand for anything..it was just a symbol he used in the song...basically he meant MSNBC...but he couldnt SAY that and get away with it...so he changed it to MSCAE

Chris
Old 05-05-2004, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl
I thought I heard Lindsey say it didn't really stand for anything..it was just a symbol he used in the song...basically he meant MSNBC...but he couldnt SAY that and get away with it...so he changed it to MSCAE

Chris
That is correct. However, he could say MSNBC. There's no law preventing saying whatever you want in published work. There are laws, however, that allow you to be punished for saying certain things.

Be that as it may, Lindsey should have just said MSNBC. He should have taken a cue from his pal Sheryl Crow during the Walmart debacle.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Also he wouldn't have wanted to do that...considering Fleetwood Mac's promo "Deal" they had with NBC for the release of Say You Will... "Today Show," "Dateline NBC," "Tonight Show," etc

Chris
Old 05-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
That is correct. However, he could say MSNBC. There's no law preventing saying whatever you want in published work. There are laws, however, that allow you to be punished for saying certain things.

Be that as it may, Lindsey should have just said MSNBC. He should have taken a cue from his pal Sheryl Crow during the Walmart debacle.
I was just about to reply with this exact thing. It's uncanny how you can read my mind.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca

Maybe he simply didn't want to single out MSNBC as the "prime target" but rather use a generic label to represent all those type of networks. I imagine he doesn't have anything against MSNBC in particular. It's not like they're FoxNews, or even CNN which is what one would normally use as a representative of the newschannel genre.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Maybe he simply didn't want to single out MSNBC as the "prime target" but rather use a generic label to represent all those type of networks. I imagine he doesn't have anything against MSNBC in particular. It's not like they're FoxNews, or even CNN which is what one would normally use as a representative of the newschannel genre.
Eek. Watch MSNBC as of late. It's owned by GE.

And I like to refer to CNN as Fox Lite.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Eek. Watch MSNBC as of late. It's owned by GE.
OK, I admit I don't actually watch it, lol. I see your point about corporate ownership, but aren't they all like that?

Old 05-05-2004, 01:07 PM

Quote:
OK, I admit I don't actually watch it, lol. I see your point about corporate ownership, but aren't they all like that?
Yes. It appears to me that ABC News is the only one that retains a modicum of autonomy. Peter Jennings and Ted Koppel seem to be able to get away with stuff the other guys can't.

It's taken me some time to get my mind around why Disney allows it. But then I remembered all the symbolism in those Disney animated movies and how subversive they truly are...
Old 05-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, it's just that some are more blatant with their partisanship than others. I mean, MSNBC has Scarborough, Buchanan, and once employed both Michael Savage and gave Ann Coulter her own show a few years back.

Old 05-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

interesting

the way he phrases it kind of reminded me of the Beatles during the White album period.

I wish he had made a reference to Fox News instead - somehow poking fun at a right wing organization would have been more fun.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

YOU PEOPLE ARE SOOOO FUNNY!!! I was LMAO reading the posts to this thread.

I looked this up just after the album came out, it has to do with a graduate program related to physics and science technology. The only thing I can think of, if you put the lyrics together, "M S C A E they make the weapons,
And they run the prisons, And they sell the justice, 'Cause being guilty is just good business"... makes sense, a professor of physics would take part in the making of WMD. As for running prisons and selling justice, etc. only thing I can think of is that it all relates to the wars of genocide that take place in parts of the world.

Laura
Old 05-08-2004, 05:19 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually Laura, Lindsey himself said it was a reference to the corporate media, and , IE : MSNBC... And how GE owns NBC, and the irony of that whole thing

We didn't come up with it on our own :

here's a lindsey quote about it :

""It was inspired by watching TV and seeing what it's become, how horrendous it's become as a tool to do exactly what Edward R. Murrow warned against when he gave his famous speech. He said if TV is allowed to distract and delude people, then there will be a large, large price to pay down the line. And we're seeing that coming true on so many levels. Especially in the world today, where all the media is basically owned and controlled and edited to a certain point of view, in the name of objective news, by all the same people who are tied in with another company. A good example would be GE owning NBC. Murrow would be turning over in his grave if he were to see all of this. Not just the propaganda that passes for news, but the trivialization of so many things, and the intent to distract and delude that he was talking about."

Another interesting one , He calls NBC out in this one as being owned by a weapon's maker :

""Murrow gave that famous parting speech when he left CBS, warning what would happen if we didn't take responsibility for TV and use it in the right way," Buckingham explains. "Obviously, we haven't. So 'Murrow' is just a song about how the media gets abused and how it is used for propaganda. Even the fact that somebody like GE would own NBC. That whole connection - down to the agendas that go into what you see on NBC, because it is owned by a weapons maker. It's just kind of weird and not very good. Not good for the kids. It diverts and deludes."