User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Setlist order of Boston Tea Party tracks

Hey,
Been attempting to make chronological sense of the February 1970 Boston Tea Party recordings - does anyone know which tracks belong to which show and in what order?
The "Live At Boston Tea Party" 3 volume set presents 1 "set" on each disc, but no dates are given. It can be assumed they played one set on each day and that the 3 volumes each contains one day's performance, but that seems to not be certain.

What we do know is the two opening songs of the February 5 show is on the "Showbiz Blues" set (which means "Live At Boston Tea Party" Vol. 1 does not start with the first set of February 5 - the "Showbiz Blues" tracks are different performances.

"Showbiz Blues"
Black Magic Woman 7:39 February 5, 1970, 1st set
Jumping At Shadows 5:24 February 5, 1970, 1st set

"Live At Boston Tea Party" Vol. 1 - February 6, 1970?? 1st set ("Boston" box liner notes says this is the first set but gives no date)
Black Magic Woman 6:45
Jumping At Shadows 4:48
Like It This Way 4:28
Only You 4:23
Rattlesnake Shake 24:38
I Can't Hold Out 6:35
Got To Move 3:25
Green Manalishi 12:52 - edited - complete version is on other releases

"Live At Boston Tea Party" Vol. 2 - February 6, 1970?? 2nd set ("Boston" box liner notes says this is the second set but gives no date)
World In Harmony 4:10
Oh Well 3:12
Rattlesnake Shake 25:36
Stranger Blues 3:55
Red Hot Mama 4:03
Teenage Darling 4:16
Keep A Knocking 4:56
Jenny, Jenny 7:40
Encore (Jam) 13:25 (with Joe Walsh and Eric Clapton)

"Live At Boston Tea Party" Vol. 3 - February 7 1st/2nd set??
Jumping At Shadows 4:17
Sandy Mary 5:21
If You Let Me Love You 10:30
Loving Kind 2:57
Coming Your Way 7:06
Madison blues 4:49
Got To Move 3:56
The Sun Is Shining 3:11
Oh Baby 4:26
Great Balls Of Fire 3:16
Tutti Frutti 6:45
On We Jam 7:56

Last edited by dino; 06-22-2015 at 03:07 PM..
Old 06-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Junior Ledgie

hi Dino
Brooklyn Blue is probably the person to ask about this.
We were both trying to figure this out and did get hold of the guy who did (i think) the mastering on the 3cd set but the trail went cold unfortunately. He did say that he really enjoyed the sets and was disappointed he hadn't been asked to do the remastering.
The 1980s Boston Lps Cerulean and it's accompanying single album volume were my introduction to PGFM. I still think they are incredible performances, up there with any live performance by anyone in pop/rock. I would really like to see a full release of the complete sets though it's hard to see that happening with the 3cd set out and again in "remastered" format.
It is frustrating that the 3cd set did not include everything that had been released before and personally, while the clarity is better on the 3cd box, i think the sound balance particularly between Peter and Danny is far better on the "old" sets - the outstanding 25 minute Rattlesnake Shake loses some of it's impact on the newer set as a result of them turning Danny's guitar down compared to Peter , losing some of the blend of Peter and Danny in the process.
I wish Mick Fleetwood would take an interest in all these "early Mac show tapes". Everything this line-up did is worth hearing and should be available as official downloads.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

. . . i don't want to spoil the party - but as it's not a topic specificly focused on greeny, this thread should be filed in the "early years" forum really, shouldn't it?!
Old 06-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
. . . i don't want to spoil the party - but as it's not a topic specificly focused on greeny, this thread should be filed in the "early years" forum really, shouldn't it?!
Probably, I just figured it didn't matter.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, no one really knows seems to be the conclusion. But who knows, maybe there will be additional, better annotated and complete issues of this material.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Dino,
You seem frustrated by the lack of response, but in truth, without access to the original tapes, there is actually no way of knowing from which set on any given night, the tracks may be from.
Musically, some of these tracks are among their finest captured on tape, but as a historical document, the collection is basically pointless.
The compilers had two choices: make the discs as enjoyable listening experience as possible, programming the tracks for flow and pacing, or release the show(s) as they were recorded, and those at the venue experienced them.
My problem with how heavily edited the shows are, is that they refuse to acknowledge what they have done, insisting that the discs are a true representation of the shows as played and they clearly are not.

Example: based on Dawson’s descriptions of the shows, (an admittedly far from perfect guideline) and the clues that can be garnered from the numbers as presented, it seems obvious that “On We Jam” the final number on Disc Three was actually played before the February 05, 1970 ‘Black Magic Woman’ on “Show-Biz Blues”.
This was a warm-up and at the end Green helps Dawson set the levels before the show proper begins.
If that is correct, than that number would also be from February 05.

If you look at the set lists from the shows before and after their Boston Tea Party stand, (and almost all the shows they ever played) each of the three guitarists would play two numbers and then cede the spotlight to the next player.
Disc two has Spencer playing five numbers in a row, and Kirwan has only five songs across the three discs.

While the Snapper discs are the most “complete”, there have been close to twenty other releases of this material over the years, almost all of which utilize some combination of seventeen core songs;nothing “new” has surfaced from these shows since the Snapper releases.
Either the “equipment problems” referenced in the liner notes were so severe as to render the remaining material unreleaseable, the original tapes were lost or destroyed, or they are tied up in litigation.
I would love to hear the shows in full, but I don’t think we will see the day.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 06-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Hi Dino,
You seem frustrated by the lack of response, but in truth, without access to the original tapes, there is actually no way of knowing from which set on any given night, the tracks may be from.
Musically, some of these tracks are among their finest captured on tape, but as a historical document, the collection is basically pointless.
The compilers had two choices: make the discs as enjoyable listening experience as possible, programming the tracks for flow and pacing, or release the show(s) as they were recorded, and those at the venue experienced them.
My problem with how heavily edited the shows are, is that they refuse to acknowledge what they have done, insisting that the discs are a true representation of the shows as played and they clearly are not.

Example: based on Dawson’s descriptions of the shows, (an admittedly far from perfect guideline) and the clues that can be garnered from the numbers as presented, it seems obvious that “On We Jam” the final number on Disc Three was actually played before the February 05, 1970 ‘Black Magic Woman’ on “Show-Biz Blues”.
This was a warm-up and at the end Green helps Dawson set the levels before the show proper begins.
If that is correct, than that number would also be from February 05.

If you look at the set lists from the shows before and after their Boston Tea Party stand, (and almost all the shows they ever played) each of the three guitarists would play two numbers and then cede the spotlight to the next player.
Disc two has Spencer playing five numbers in a row, and Kirwan has only five songs across the three discs.

While the Snapper discs are the most “complete”, there have been close to twenty other releases of this material over the years, almost all of which utilize some combination of seventeen core songs;nothing “new” has surfaced from these shows since the Snapper releases.
Either the “equipment problems” referenced in the liner notes were so severe as to render the remaining material unreleaseable, the original tapes were lost or destroyed, or they are tied up in litigation.
I would love to hear the shows in full, but I don’t think we will see the day.
Yes, it's frustrating! Thanks for your observations regarding "On We Jam" and the 5-song Spencer portion.