The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can you imagine if Don Felder came back for the tour though?

This would be incredible, and with Bernie Leadon already touring with them, I think it would be the only thing that would make it anywhere close to the Eagles without Glenn Frey.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

Yeah, Leadon/Felder/Henley/Walsh/Schmit could pass as the Eagles, IMO. It's too bad Randy Meissner is apparently in bad shape these days and can't join in them. Not sure what a band would do with two bass players, though.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:19 AM

Interesting choices. Wonder if Joe Walsh will be there.

All Stevie's men..
Old 03-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Registered

some are saying Bob Seger also as a replacement if they are going to do it they may as well add insult to injury and just Use sheryl crow she can do double duty and sub for Stevie

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...302-story.html

Last edited by olive; 03-03-2017 at 12:59 PM..
Old 03-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
bringing in Jackson Browne for the Grammies performance was a good idea - he was around them a lot during the early years, and would be a suitable replacement for Frey - but they didn't sound great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
It's not need it 's greed.
And Jackson wrote Take It Easy with Glenn... actually it was Jackson's song and Glenn came in and helped him write some lyrics to it.

It's money greed but it seems like it's also bragging rights kind of greed. A way to show that you are still relevant and still on the A list bringing in big bucks and filling venues and have not faded away into the "whatever happened to....?" file. That's a very big thing for Stevie for sure.

I guess after recent years I shouldn't be, but I'm still surprised Lindsey goes in for this sort of stuff. He really seems to have accepted the "play the game" when you have to approach..... helps if you've got a bunch of kids and a wife's business and equestrian habits to support. Building big horse farms in the country ain't cheap.....
Old 03-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
It's not need it 's greed.
And some huge ego's, that still need massaging!!
Old 03-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

They talked about the Eagles/Fleetwood Mac shows today on Sirius-XM Classic rewind today. While Felder coming back to the Eagles would be pipe dream come true, it would probably never happen. Unlike when Lindsey or Christine left.....they just left. Felder was bought out of the Eagles since most of their most famous songs were created by Felder. The settlement is secret but rumors swirled that Felder got close to a 100 million pay day. Although not all at once of course. Every time the Eagles tour they pay him a percentage if they play key songs, etc. Walsh and Felder don't have issues but Henley and Felder have major issues and it is unlikely this reunion would ever happen. To quote a former Eagles tour "When hell freezes over."
There would be to much legal wrangling for it to happen. Felder gets paid if he does not even tour but they do his songs. So its really a strange situation.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nevermind.... grace is everything.

Last edited by jkmaletic; 03-03-2017 at 04:08 PM..
Old 03-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Agree -- I've always felt like the muscle is gone from the Eagles live shows without Don Felder.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
Agree -- I've always felt like the muscle is gone from the Eagles live shows without Don Felder.
It was. He blew Joe Walsh off the stage, IMO.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Felder was bought out of the Eagles since most of their most famous songs were created by Felder.
Not to start a big Eagles debate here, but I don't think that's remotely true. I appreciate what Felder brought to the band - he's a world-class rock guitarist - but the only widely-known songs he's even partially credited with writing are Hotel California and Victim of Love. Granted, HC is probably their signature tune, but even Felder admits that Henley wrote most of its lyrics.

They had 18 Top 40 hits, and Felder co-wrote one of 'em. Victim of Love, while a great track, wasn't released as a single, even. The vast majority of their hits were Henley/Frey compositions. I don't think that's in dispute.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not to start a big Eagles debate here, but I don't think that's remotely true. I appreciate what Felder brought to the band - he's a world-class rock guitarist - but the only widely-known songs he's even partially credited with writing are Hotel California and Victim of Love. Granted, HC is probably their signature tune, but even Felder admits that Henley wrote most of its lyrics.

They had 18 Top 40 hits, and Felder co-wrote one of 'em. Victim of Love, while a great track, wasn't released as a single, even. The vast majority of their hits were Henley/Frey compositions. I don't think that's in dispute.
HC - while the lyrics are good, they'd have been nothing without the music, which was Felder. It's a fairly unusual chord progression, and makes the song what it is.

He was never really a songwriter. That wasn't his place in the band. So that's kind of like slamming Mick or John, because they're not songwriters. He was brought in before Joe Walsh, when they were trying to lose their "country" sound, and he did just that. I'm a huge fan of his playing, and always thought his solos were far more interesting than Joe's "generic" solos.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Everyone always focuses on lyrics, but great lyrics with crappy music/chord progressions/riffs won't get you a hit song. Henley's a great lyricist but not as strong writing the music-- he's a lot like Stevie in that regard. In his solo work he relied on Danny Kortchmar among others to carry the musical load just as he relied on others within the Eagles. Without the music he'd just have a bunch of poetry notebooks full of stuff no one would ever hear.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:00 PM
Ledgie

The Eagles performing again is up to Don Henley with Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit aboard. How do you perform Glenn Frey's songs with him deceased?

Eagles' standards featuring Frey on vocals:
"Take It Easy"
"Peaceful Easy Feeling"
"Tequila Sunrise"
"Already Gone"
"Lyin Eyes"
"Take It to the Limit"
"New Kid in Town"
"Heartache Tonight"

Walsh has performed "Take It to the Limit" at his 2016 concerts. Henley has sung harmony on "Lyin Eyes" and "New Kid in Town."
Old 03-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
The Eagles performing again is up to Don Henley with Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit aboard. How do you perform Glenn Frey's songs with him deceased?

Eagles' standards featuring Frey on vocals:
"Take It Easy"
"Peaceful Easy Feeling"
"Tequila Sunrise"
"Already Gone"
"Lyin Eyes"
"Take It to the Limit"
"New Kid in Town"
"Heartache Tonight"

Walsh has performed "Take It to the Limit" at his 2016 concerts. Henley has sung harmony on "Lyin Eyes" and "New Kid in Town."
and Take It Easy is as much of a Jackson Browne song as it is a Glenn Frey song and Browne routinely performs it solo.... although if Jackson Browne was with the Eagles as a part of these festivals they would have advertised so.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"