User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
I'm over Lindseys recent comments. In short: it wasn't what he said, it was when and how he said it. And that he threw Christine under the bus to make his point was uncalled for. Chris is a precious unicorn and has to be respected, protected and worshipped at all times. Lindsey should have left her out of this.
Lindsey has an immense amount of respect for Chris. As soon as I heard those comments, I immediately thought to myself "Chris told him to say this." He would never throw Chris under a bus.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
Lindsey has an immense amount of respect for Chris. As soon as I heard those comments, I immediately thought to myself "Chris told him to say this." He would never throw Chris under a bus.
Agreed. He would never do that to Chris.

Now $tevie, he'd throw that old goat under the bus, run over her, back up several times and do it again. As would I, and many others here these days.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Agreed. He would never do that to Chris.

Now $tevie, he'd throw that old goat under the bus, run over her, back up several times and do it again. As would I, and many others here these days.
I totally agree--Christine wants her name cleared. I think she knew LB would reveal something around the email and she's totally fine with everything he said. I am one of the few who thinks she actually needs to be held accountable for her actions (or lack of) so I 100% agree, CM is totally cool with what he said. #desperatechiffonheads
Old 12-19-2018, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Personally, I missed Christine so very much on SYW, but not only her playing, singing, or her melodic songs brightening the mood. I missed all of that, but much more. Without her, noone hold the egos of Stevie and Lindsey in check, noone dared to tell them when an idea was just not good enough, a song too long, lyrics too stupid or too mean. Noone filled the harmonies, or even considered giving the record a wholesome sound and atmoshere. Instead, we got two solo albums mixed together. I couldn't listen to the album without thinking: "How good would that have been with Christine on board, bringing out the best in both of them", because the album suffers from the fact that Lindsey and Stevie tend to bring out the worst in each other. There are some good songs on SYW, but they are mostly solo songs with a great rhythm section.

On Buckingham/McVie all the elements I missed on SYW are there. That album is testament of what Christine McVie did for FM without ever getting the recognition she deserved. You can hear that Lindsey respects ther, they both value the other one's contributions, you hear the good time they had in the Studio, with Mick and John. That gives the record a calm, friendly feeling, the opposite of the rather aggressive vibe that SVW gave me. It's just a beautifully done coherent album.
I only kinda missed some Stevie background-singing goodies, her voice is so interesting when used to highlight or accentuate the other two's songs. But as a songwriter, Stevie has not moved me for decades, her demo vaults must be totally empty by now. I wasn't expecting anything good from her anyway. I do understand why she didn't want to participate, she knew that both Chris and Lindsey would have crushed her with their talent, their compositions, Stevie couldn't let that happen.
"Red Sun" would be a killer FM song. On Buck Vie-the only song I missed Stevie on is "Red Sun"
Old 12-19-2018, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She would have helped "Lay Down For Free" which, frankly, I'm surprised the band didn't use for Extended Play.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't like the engineering on most of the album. The treble is bolstered over the bottom end, the sonics are so overcompressed that your ears ring, the layering is too busy (things aren't delineated the way they were on Rumours and Mirage), the drums are weak (which might be a result of emptying out the bottom end), the panning is amateurish, and the cheesy phaser effects don't need to be there at all. Sounds like the entire damn thing was mixed by guys wearing headphones. (For Rumours, they mixed with top-quality speakers.) Say You Will doesn't lie across the entire stereo spectrum cleanly like the old Dashut and Caillat work. When you listen to it, you have to EQ it track by track to your liking—and that's only a partial fix. (The album totally sucks in the tightly confined cabin of your car, as you may have noticed.)

Too much clutter on each track, too, probably a result of high-processing computers with all their bits and bytes. Every hole is filled in with data.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I don't like the engineering on most of the album. The treble is bolstered over the bottom end, the sonics are so overcompressed that your ears ring, the layering is too busy (things aren't delineated the way they were on Rumours and Mirage), the drums are weak (which might be a result of emptying out the bottom end), the panning is amateurish, and the cheesy phaser effects don't need to be there at all. Sounds like the entire damn thing was mixed by guys wearing headphones. (For Rumours, they mixed with top-quality speakers.) Say You Will doesn't lie across the entire stereo spectrum cleanly like the old Dashut and Caillat work. When you listen to it, you have to EQ it track by track to your liking—and that's only a partial fix. (The album totally sucks in the tightly confined cabin of your car, as you may have noticed.)

Too much clutter on each track, too, probably a result of high-processing computers with all their bits and bytes. Every hole is filled in with data.
I wasn't sure if you were commenting on SYW or BuckVie, but in some ways it doesn't matter because many of the issues are the same on both.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I wasn't sure if you were commenting on SYW or BuckVie, but in some ways it doesn't matter because many of the issues are the same on both.
The difference for me though, is that I love BuckVie, but could barely tolerate SYW.

BuckVie is uptempo and fun. SYW is depressing.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always found SYW to sound a lot like 2 solo albums shoved together. When I listen to, I listen to Lindsey and Stevie's songs seperately, they make 2 pretty fine solo efforts.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
The difference for me though, is that I love BuckVie, but could barely tolerate SYW.

BuckVie is uptempo and fun. SYW is depressing.
yes, I was talking about the technicalities of how recorded, not the content material.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
yes, I was talking about the technicalities of how recorded, not the content material.
I understand that. While neither is an artistic masterpiece, I can overlook the flaws in the one that makes me happy. That was my point. Sorry. Carry on.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
I've always found SYW to sound a lot like 2 solo albums shoved together. When I listen to, I listen to Lindsey and Stevie's songs seperately, they make 2 pretty fine solo efforts.
For me or anyone else who had become intimately familiar with the GoS songs as leaked back in 2000 or whenever, I guess we'll never truly know how Say You Will would have come across to us if we were hearing all the tracks for the first time. But no doubt there still would have been a considerable "Tusk" effect (i.e. a degree of incohesiveness) given the quantity and gamut of tracks.

Here is an interesting fact: despite there being more songs on the Tusk album, the Say You Will album is actually LONGER than the Tusk album (by one minute!).

What's also interesting to me is that Stevie's songs on SYW are relatively short (compared to her solo work) while Lindsey's are relatively long (compared to any of his work). I think it's fair to say that there was definitely a degree of compensation for Christine's absence in that regard, particularly by Stevie. Look at In Your Dreams--just about every song runs close to six minutes.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
I agree with you 100%, but she would care if she didn't look capable of writing anything new, ESP in front of Lindsey and to some degree Chris. I really believe that. She's sooooo concerned about her image 24/7.
Space Needle (I love it, most hate it)
My Mother's Rings (unreleased, 2012-13 track)
City of Hope song
Grandfather Song

Finito.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Space Needle (I love it, most hate it)
My Mother's Rings (unreleased, 2012-13 track)
City of Hope song
Grandfather Song

Finito.
I love "Space Needle" as well, but the "City of Hope" song - which I absolutely adore - is from the mid 80s, I believe, some time after Robin died. If we're talking about her bringing in "new" material, that wouldn't qualify.* Has she written a new one?

I do hope that old one sees the light of day. I love it so much. It really moves me; it really speaks to the pain of loss. Nothing will ever hurt me like this again - and you know in that very statement, you give it up, just a little bit, your child-like nature... The use of the title is both ironic and poignant: Where's this City of Hope? A powerful song.

*I suppose "Space Needle" wouldn't qualify as "new" now either, since it's from 2001, but it would in the context of SYW. I'm a bit confused as to if we're talking about now or then with the inclusion of "My Mother's Rings."

Last edited by sodascouts; 12-21-2018 at 03:57 PM..
Old 12-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Where's this City of Hope? A powerful song.
If you are asking, The City of Hope is (I think) the name of the cancer hospital where Robin and later Chris Nicks got help for their issues.