The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Do You Want To See The Eagles Tour With Fleetwood Mac?
Yes 41 28.47%
No 103 71.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Likewise, Glenn Frey may at one time have been egocentric, but today he comes off as very down-to-earth and is always quick to lavish praise upon Henley, Walsh, and Schmit while downplaying his own role in the band. I believe in a relatively recent issue of Rolling Stone he stated that "Without Henley, the Eagles would be Air Supply." I admire his oft-demonstrated humility.

Lindsey may at one time have expressed disdain for the Eagles, but I think now he's ready to step down from that high horse and give them their professional due. As far as Stevie goes, her ego never got in the way of Eagle relations.
Nancy, I think it took all those years off, for Glenn to realize that he was no longer the star(or boss) of the Eagles. Don's voice, had become, for the most part, THE voice of the Eagles. I'm sure that seeing Don's great solo success, compared to his own, helped further his acceptance, of Don's position.

The Eagles are clearly the bigger band...even Lindsey can't ignore that!

And yeah, now the the Eagles are a four piece, Stevie went from having slept with 40% of the band, to having slept with 50% of the band! Of course, Tim and Glenn might know more than they're letting on!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok I say 'Yes' because I am fans of both bands....though I would be totally surprised if this really happend for various reasons.....but it would be a nice shock. I probably wouldn't go because like someone already stated that the ticket prices would be like through the roof really. They already where for each band separately....and I didn't pay to see either this last yr.....so 'if' they do a short tour they better do a dvd of it cause it would be pretty rare. I'd be surprised if they'd sing each others songs.....I'd be shocked maybe at the end of each set they could all sing one song together or something but I don't think they'd mix it up that much. Both groups like to keep there setlists pretty much the same.....at least thats IMO....but just some thoughts.....anyway......not matter what happens or doesn't.....its all good right.....
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 12-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

But Glenn IS the boss of the Eagles. Glenn has the final say on all band touring, recording and other plans. If Glenn doesn't want to do something, it doesn't happen. Even Don has to acquiesce to Glenn's wishes. For example in 2005 when the band was doing their "California" tour and the dates extended to places outside of CA like Phoenix and Las Vegas Don suggested doing some shows in Dallas since his family hadn't seen them play. Glenn vetoed the idea because if they played in Dallas he couldn't sleep in his own bed.

L&M
www.eaglesfans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Nancy, I think it took all those years off, for Glenn to realize that he was no longer the star(or boss) of the Eagles. Don's voice, had become, for the most part, THE voice of the Eagles. I'm sure that seeing Don's great solo success, compared to his own, helped further his acceptance, of Don's position.

The Eagles are clearly the bigger band...even Lindsey can't ignore that!

And yeah, now the the Eagles are a four piece, Stevie went from having slept with 40% of the band, to having slept with 50% of the band! Of course, Tim and Glenn might know more than they're letting on!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenleyFan View Post
But Glenn IS the boss of the Eagles. Glenn has the final say on all band touring, recording and other plans. If Glenn doesn't want to do something, it doesn't happen. Even Don has to acquiesce to Glenn's wishes. For example in 2005 when the band was doing their "California" tour and the dates extended to places outside of CA like Phoenix and Las Vegas Don suggested doing some shows in Dallas since his family hadn't seen them play. Glenn vetoed the idea because if they played in Dallas he couldn't sleep in his own bed.

L&M
www.eaglesfans.com
Yeah, I shouldn't have said "boss", as I know he's still the boss. But it must be rough, to be the boss, yet not the biggest star, of your band.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I shouldn't have said "boss", as I know he's still the boss. But it must be rough, to be the boss, yet not the biggest star, of your band.
I don't think Mick Fleetwood minds.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

I agree. I think it causes a lot of problems in the band.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I don't think Mick Fleetwood minds.
But Mick was never the star(and I would dispute the term "boss" for him, since he was removed as manager).

And Glenn was the star, until Don finally eclipsed him.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wow. 77% say "no" to this poll. Interesting. Not that our opinions would matter to the band's management...
Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Wow. 77% say "no" to this poll. Interesting. Not that our opinions would matter to the band's management...
Thats for sure....theres alot of things as fans that we'd love that 'they' don't even care to 'hear' about(from us that is) but I guess thats there right too...(Same for Stevie's solo stuff too)... I'm sure if this tour occurs....it'll come down the the $$ for both bands.....that I'm sure now would be the bottom line.....hard truth .....but there all getting much older.....I guess time will tell......
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 12-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel that they may be hunfry for some money. I mean, hey they just finished a world tour! On the other hand, I never could exerience the 70's so this is just what I need, well only if they come to Australia!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Ledgie

hmmm... would I rather hear new music from the band that has consistently produced mind-blowing new albums over a period of almost 40 years, followed by a tour where they play said songs, along with some classics, and (hopefully) some rarities like Sisters of the Moon, Angel, and Not that Funny, reclaiming their artistic relevance, as well as gaining a new generation of fans

or... would I rather see them tour with another band, playing the same songs the same way they have since the syw tour, in a shortened set, sharing a bill with another band that did that for about ten years (hell freezes over to present) who on their own charge enough to bankrupt me for nosebleeds, and share my first mac concert with a bunch of drunk baby boomers trying to recapture the spirit of '77 and crying foul whenever mac or the eagles play a song that was NOT played to death on the radio?

the choice for me is pretty clear...
Old 12-30-2009, 04:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenleyFan View Post

L&M
www.eaglesfans.com
I get that he is, but I dont understand how this can be possible since their is NO comparison between Glen and Don's solo careers. I mean Don's been doing stuff on his own since 1980. I'm somewhat vague on Glen's solo efforts, but I dont hink he's done anything of consequence since the mid 80's? SO how can Glen have more power within the band if he's had a far less prolific colo career?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes..I've never seen Eagles..I think it would be great..
Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Ledgie

It's not about their solo careers. Glenn started the band so it's his band. That's why he has the final say on all things Eagles.

L&M
www.eaglesfans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
I get that he is, but I dont understand how this can be possible since their is NO comparison between Glen and Don's solo careers. I mean Don's been doing stuff on his own since 1980. I'm somewhat vague on Glen's solo efforts, but I dont hink he's done anything of consequence since the mid 80's? SO how can Glen have more power within the band if he's had a far less prolific colo career?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
While Don and Glenn both peaked popularity-wise in the eighties - Don's last Top 40 song was "The Heart of the Matter" from The End of the Innocence (1989), charting at #21, and Glenn's last Top 40 song was "True Love" from Soul Searchin' (1988) charting at #13 - Don is generally considered to be the bigger star. I think this is because Glenn's success was more song-oriented and Don's was more album-oriented. Plus, Glenn's biggest hits clustered around 1985/1986 whereas Don's were more spread out over the decade. However, in terms of chart numbers, Glenn had 6 Top 40 hits and Don had 7. In terms of how prolific each is, both have released 4 solo studio albums (not counting compilations). Therefore, the gap between their solo careers is nothing like the gap between the solo careers of Stevie and Lindsey, for instance.

Regarding the Eagles dynamic as a band, as HenleyFan said, it is considered "Glenn's band." It's similar to how Fleetwood Mac is considered "Mick's band" in that both men were originators. However, Glenn does not share Mick's desperate need for the machine to continue running. Therefore, Glenn does not consider it necessary to kowtow to Don or anyone else. He can take it or leave it.

The thing is, though, if Glenn leaves it, the band can't exist. It's like Fleetwood Mac without Stevie and Lindsey, except worse since he is the founder. Thus, the power dynamic is not based on public perception which is often distorted anyway, but upon the cause/effect of Glenn's unhappiness meaning the end of the band. Even Don doesn't want to see that cash cow die, so he sucks it up and defers to Glenn if they come to loggerheads over something. In this way, Don is more invested in the continuance of the band than Glenn is. If Don leaves, the band would cease to exist as well, but that doesn't seem to concern Glenn. That gives Glenn the upper hand.

In spite of this dynamic, I get the feeling that Don isn't constantly being stepped upon by Glenn and forced into concessions that he doesn't want to make. Just because Glenn has the "final say" doesn't mean that Don's opinion is disregarded. Glenn is always saying how much he respects Don professionally and he is the one who coaxed Don from the shadows and gave him the opportunity to shine. Don has expressed gratitude for that. I also believe that if Don truly felt Glenn was being egregiously unfair to him or bullying him just to get some ego gratification, Don would leave. I don't know Don Henley and have only met him once briefly, but I get the impression from his interviews that he doesn't feel completely unappreciated and that he wouldn't stand for it if he did.

Indeed, to the casual observer, Don seems far from unappreciated. As this thread shows, many people assume Don has more power than is actually the case. HomerMcVie - who's a pretty sharp guy - even assumed that Glenn's praise was motivated by Don having a more powerful position within the band. However, since Glenn does not need to lick Don's boots in order for the band to continue, there is no reason to believe Glenn is insincere in his lavish praise of Don. It should also be noted that Glenn, who makes the Eagles setlists, generously features Don's songs at the cost of his own. This is in spite of the fact that "The Heat Is On" and "You Belong to the City" were bigger hits than any of Don's singles, according to the Billboard charts. Glenn obviously values Don a great deal and spotlights him because he wants to and believes it is in the band's best interests, not because he has to in order to keep the band going.

Glenn is the opposite of egotistical, from all evidence that I can see; yes, he is the boss of the band and asserts that authority if need be, but that is not necessarily ego-driven. Somebody has to have the last word, after all, on issues like whether or not their recent album Long Road Out of Eden should be released as a single or double disc. Glenn and Don disagreed about that, Glenn had the final say, and thus, it was a double album. Was Glenn's decision ego-driven or one he felt was best for the band? Well, that double album went to no. 1, so you be the judge. Conversely, without the "final say" element, the disagreement might have kept the album from getting released, period.

Glenn having final authority forwards the band's interests. I think Don realizes this and it enables him to accept the situation, even if he does sometimes grumble to the press a bit about the dictates of "Mr. Frey" when he doesn't get his way. (Don can sometimes get a big mouth around the press, like for instance spilling the beans about Stevie's abortion - ironic for the songwriter of "Dirty Laundry," eh? )

Last edited by sodascouts; 12-30-2009 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: additional evidence and softening of terms