Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
BEYOND AMAZING: everything except...
SIMPLY AMAZING: The Way That I Feel, Somebody
what he said.... i love the jamming and subtlety of this album...
Old 12-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Originally Posted by snoot
> It's generally cited as one of the Mac's best productions, short of a few whiny Green diehard critics, or detractors of the Welch sound. I remember quite well the "smoke" around it at its time of release, the fact that it was so divergent from the original Blues Mac (oh boo hoo, wah wah wah). But even upon its release, a lot of folks gave it winning marks, to include many Mac "early adaptors." <

Read Brunning's bad book. And consider Steve Clarke's two books on Mac.
Haven't read any published Mac books to date, but you may be misreading my comment. "But even upon its release, a lot of folks gave it winning marks, to include many Mac "early adaptors."" I was referring mostly to fans, not music reviewers and critics (the "smoke"). I never go by what those paid yoyos print in their rags anyway. Too often it's as far off the mark as can be, especially back then when damn near everything factored around a "hipness" quotient (er, hipness according to them). A lot of that "hipness" was socially or politically charged slants, like that has a damn thing to do with music or art. Among fans (and what was left of the old guard by that point, aka the "early adaptors"), many didn't like the fact that Kirwan had departed, leaving none of the original front line by the Penguin~Mystery To Me phase. But most who accepted the Kiln House shift, followed by the Kirwan years, took to the Welch era in stride (unless they held something directly against Bob's voice or phrasings).

Strangely enough, I think the critics today have actually improved somewhat as a whole (still ignore them though). A lot of those same ones who used to be big asses and thumbsuckers have grown up, and tend to be more even handed in their reviews, especially when revisiting those years and productions (AMG to cite but one example). A lot of those positive marks you see today used to be considerably more negative once upon a time.

Last edited by snoot; 12-18-2008 at 04:51 PM..
Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Snoot: I never go by what those paid yoyos print in their rags anyway. Too often it's as far off the mark as can be, especially back then when damn near everything factored around a "hipness" quotient (er, hipness according to them).

I should add that I'm referring to those dime-a-dozen music scribes back in the day (and even today to some extent), and not the authors you've made mention of, or those of the interviewer class who push to decipher facts from fiction. Most authors tend to dig for more in-depth and balanced coverage so I rarely have a problem with their efforts, but sadly even there we see a lot of "rag" material written primarily to cash in on others' expense (Elvis anyone?).
Old 12-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My favourites: Keep on Going - sounds like very early disco!, Why, Hypnotized

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course Hypnotized and Why are at the top of the list for me, but Emerald Eyes is really one of those beauties that I most definitely listen to alot as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ive always been sort or curious about this, and, Mr Welch, if youre ever here and would like to answser this question that'd be great, if not that's fine too. My question is, had things between Mick and Bob Weston started to go south during the making of MTM or did the **** not hit the fan until the tour started?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

A while ago I really tried to get into this album and played it several times, but I find none of it really makes any sense to me. It's all bland background music as far as I can make out. I think what it's missing is Danny Kirwan. I have a really hard time grooving to the band without Danny Kirwan, although I try.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Ive always been sort or curious about this, and, Mr Welch, if youre ever here and would like to answser this question that'd be great, if not that's fine too. My question is, had things between Mick and Bob Weston started to go south during the making of MTM or did the **** not hit the fan until the tour started?
Well I'm far from Bob Welch, but where did you ever hear of things going sour between Mick and Bob Weston prior to the discovery of that affair on the ensuing tour? Mick and Bob were the best of buds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
A while ago I really tried to get into this album and played it several times, but I find none of it really makes any sense to me. It's all bland background music as far as I can make out. I think what it's missing is Danny Kirwan. I have a really hard time grooving to the band without Danny Kirwan, although I try.
DK was hard to beat in many ways, but wow! What's up with Welch + Weston + Christy vibes seen as merely "bland background music"! Have you really - and I mean really - sat down and put your ear to Hypnotized, Miles Away, Keep On Going, Why, Somebody, Forever, etc., since you first (or last) formed that impression? The guitar interplay alone between BW & BW is out of this world (spin up Miles Away, The City, Somebody, et al for da gold). Then look at the gorgeous guitar gracings Weston added to Christy's Why and The Way I feel!

Curious if you hold a similar opinion of Heroes and Penguin from what basically amounts to the same cast and crew?
Old 12-31-2008, 01:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
Well I'm far from Bob Welch, but where did you ever hear of things going sour between Mick and Bob Weston prior to the discovery of that affair on the ensuing tour? Mick and Bob were the best of buds!

DK was hard to beat in many ways, but wow! What's up with Welch + Weston + Christy vibes seen as merely "bland background music"! Have you really - and I mean really - sat down and put your ear to Hypnotized, Miles Away, Keep On Going, Why, Somebody, Forever, etc., since you first (or last) formed that impression? The guitar interplay alone between BW & BW is out of this world (spin up Miles Away, The City, Somebody, et al for da gold). Then look at the gorgeous guitar gracings Weston added to Christy's Why and The Way I feel!

Curious if you hold a similar opinion of Heroes and Penguin from what basically amounts to the same cast and crew?
I was referring to the affair Bob had with Micks wife.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was referring to the affair Bob had with Micks wife.
I know, that's what I responded to.

I'm not sure if Bob Welch or anyone else knows when the affair actually began (short of Westy of course), but until Mick figured it out, he and Weston remained good ol' drinkin' buddies, well into the MTM tour (the first part of it anyway). They even took in a C&W show together in Nashville at one point. I'd be quite floored if there was personal friction between them during the making of MTM.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
I know, that's what I responded to.

I'm not sure if Bob Welch or anyone else knows when the affair actually began (short of Westy of course), but until Mick figured it out, he and Weston remained good ol' drinkin' buddies, well into the MTM tour (the first part of it anyway). They even took in a C&W show together in Nashville at one point. I'd be quite floored if there was personal friction between them during the making of MTM.
Oh ok sorry I got it I wasnt paying the best attention there. I guess the better question would be what was going on with Clifford Davis at the time? We all know what occured after the MTM tour stopped but was there friction between him and the band before that point that couldve contributed to all that mess?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh ok sorry I got it I wasnt paying the best attention there. I guess the better question would be what was going on with Clifford Davis at the time? We all know what occured after the MTM tour stopped but was there friction between him and the band before that point that couldve contributed to all that mess?
I don't believe so. It simply came down to Mick being less than attentive to his wife (by his own admission), Bob taking advantage of the void and moving in, Mick eventually catching on but well after the fact, then trying to look past it all in the name of the band at large and the current promotional tour. When he realized he couldn't, he bailed to Africa to get his "head together." Mick's wife had already been sent packing to England, and Weston found himself suddenly high and dry - and unemployed - for his indiscretion. A pretty costly faux paus at that, as there is no reason to believe he might not have had a long career with the Mac, since he gelled well with the existing players and was stoked to be in the band right to the end.

Bob has stated he felt like he was a young axe in a solid mentorship, with Welch and Christine on the creative front, and John & Mick on the backing side. More importantly, it may not have led to the eventual burnout of Bob Welch the following year with all that occurred, since Weston had become such an integral player in the mix and could be expected to shoulder a portion of the weight. They were clearly expecting more and more from him (and damn if he didn't work well with Bob and Christy in both the studio and on stage).

To my knowledge, once Davis was informed by Bob Welch that they had cancelled the tour, he flipped out and tried to make it clear HE owned the FM name, and that HE was the one who made such decisions, not the rank and file band members. That's why he compiled the bogus band made up of members of Stretch, and sent them out to complete the tour (which disintegrated before making any real headway). As Weston had basically been sent packing too, he soon found his way back to work on various projects involving Davis Productions, to include a sessions stint on Danny Kirwan's final solo album.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't forget, Dave, that there's a Q&A with Weston on this site somewhere. Check it out. It's pretty informative.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Don't forget, Dave, that there's a Q&A with Weston on this site somewhere. Check it out. It's pretty informative.
The Q & A is here: http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...110&Itemid=127
Old 12-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you Michele and David! That was very informative. I did not know Bob did a Q&A.