The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > The Penguin > Q&A Discussions

Old 08-17-2001, 05:30 PM
Gypsyblue

I think it makes a lot of sense to have "band" only footage and no solo stuff. But I REALLY like the idea of including live material on it.
Perhaps we can make one BIG list, including the Warner vaults List, and just narrow it down from there????
Old 08-17-2001, 08:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

I just thought of something, and this is all based on John's awesome list - Keep in mind this first one is a long-term idea:

If a DVD with videos 1-25 is succesful enough, perhaps there could be an all Stevie disc (videos 16-27) released next. Now, maybe I'm nuts, but I bet an all-Stevie disc could sell better than a Fleetwood Mac disc, and maybe then enough money would be made from the whole venture to release a third disc consisting of videos 28-39, but in a limited edition (perhaps 5,000-7,000 copies) since I imagine a Lindsey/Mick/Chris-only disc wouldn't be as successful as the other two.

Between the sales of the 3 discs, I'm sure there'd be enough reason to rerelease all the live DVDs people want.

2nd - this is more of a short term 'what if':

Perhaps ALL 39 VIDEOS could be rereleased for a price something like $59.99 in a super-limited edition - say, 2500 copies - and a normal compilation - based more on what would sell the best in the mainstream (something like Lori's list) - could be the other 7500 released compilations.

I don't know, maybe I'm nuts, maybe these ideas are disgustingly silly. But they're just ideas. And if you twisted my arm and made me pick my favorite between the two of them, I like the 2nd one.

Perhaps these could be 2 of many choices on a future poll?

~Brian
Old 08-17-2001, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with Lori that this should be kept strictly "Rumours era" only. Not that I don't like the other eras, but if we honestly want to get the demand high enough for this, we can't really include things that people aren't going to know. I think if, given the choice, the casual fan would much rather have a DVD of songs he is familiar with, rather than songs like Love Shines and In the Back of My Mind, which only the die hard fans would like.

So if we do limit it to the Rumours era, that gives us 7 concept videos (breakdown: Lindsey-2 vids; Stevie-2 vids; Chris-3 vids...as even as we can get it). Then throw in some live songs. If we go with 13 songs total, that leaves 6 (each singer having 2). My list would go something like this:

-Tusk (vid)
-Gypsy (vid)
-Hold Me (vid)
-Seven Wonders (vid)
-Big Love (vid)
-Everywhere (vid)
-Little Lies (vid)
-Rhiannon (live)
-Sisters of the Moon (live)
-Go Your Own Way (live)
-Not That Funny (live)
-Love In Store (live)
-Songbird (live)
Bonus Track:
-The Chain (live)

That way, if we break it down:
Stevie-4 songs
Lindsey-4 songs
Chris-5 songs
+1 for all of them, The Chain.

What do ya'll think?

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 08-18-2001, 12:10 AM
Ledgie

Talking Hi, Josh!

I like your list, but what would you think of 2 substitutions:

Eyes of the World instead of Not That Funny - first, I just happen to like Eyes of the World better , and secondly, at least with that one you would have all 5 members onstage (instead of Stevie back getting her hair and makeup fixed... ).

I'm thinking maybe a live version of Dreams instead of Sisters of the Moon - it IS FM's only #1 song, plus it is obviously better known by the general public. I LOVE the Sisters/Moon performance on both the Tusk doc and the Mirage concert video, though. I guess I would only vote for Dreams if it was a better live version than the one I've always seen where Stevie looks high as a kite...

What do you think?

Lor

PS: Thanks for agreeing with some of my ideas, and by the way, I LOVE the idea of having The Chain as a bonus track - maybe even as the first track on the dvd, with Songbird as the last track, for sentimental reasons of course!
Old 08-18-2001, 06:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile OK, I can see your point

Brian, I certainly wouldn't mind paying 60 bucks for the complete music vid collection either!

Josh has got a good compromise here but...

I don't know from what Marty said that we should decide on a cuople lists and then a vote would take place and majority would rule but if we want to merge this way this sounds like a good compromise.

I must say though that if we are going to include live footage we might as well keep things as clean as possible without chopping into concerts because if we do get further releases we don't want to have to pay for the same footage again along with some not seen footage on a possible future release. Like say, (I know this isn't the case but just so you can see what I mean) you bought the Tusk doc and then you bought the Mirage vid and say the Mirage vid was more than half full of stuff that was already included on the Tusk doc. You'd still need to keep Mirage for the footage that wasn't anywhere else but it would be annoying that there would be alot of duplication, no? Of course we are happy with those tapes in reality (for many reasons but mainly) because they both include completely different footage to the other so for the live songs mentioned in some of your great lists. How about hashing around these ideas?

On the Warners video vault list that Marty has put on the ledgeboards, you'll see entries for the following

Dreams (4:19)
Go your own way (Live in LA/Visible time code)
Songbird (Live in LA/Visible time code)
The Chain (Live in LA/Visible time code)
Sisters of the moon (Live in LA/Visible time code)
Not that funny (Live in LA/Visible time code) (3:56)
Love in store (Live in LA)

(sorry, I couldn't find one for "Eyes of the world" that wouldn't chop up shows) I don't know if we've seen these or not, my fear would be that they may be from the Mirage tape which of course we wouldn't want to take stuff from right now as that would be duplication. if they are, then we can choose other clips, but if they are not (which they probably aren't if they are in the Warners vault & if the Mirage tapes is owned by HBO...), these might be good choices for those particular live performances. As it is, I know there are some other "Live in LA/Visible time code" choices there but these seem to be the songs that were discussed above and as I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who thinks we should avoid chopping up longer video footage, these seem to be the clips that do involve the songs relevant to the choices mentioned above and as they are listed seperately it would be easier to keep track of these so we would know which "Live in LA/Visible time code) pieces we haven't chosen this time (so we could use those on possible future releases. This just seems to be the least choppy way but including the above ideas as much as possible. You know what I mean? How about this?

My only suggestion would be to maybe replace the "Love in store" clip from above with say maybe "Don't stop" as this may be more acceptable to the general public as it was a higher chart position than "Love in store" and it would open up a few possibilities such as using the "Paris promo (with "Don't stop" & "Dreams")" this "Dreams" if chosen of course would superseed the LA version listed above if people preferred to have the Paris versions. or we could keep the LA "Dreams" and use the Clinton ball thing of "Don't stop". There's other avenues which would not chop things up but be of great use on DVD quality (and be of great use for those who collect VHS to have an original copy of) like say the "Brit awards" performances, possibly other combinations from other things of this type?

How about that? I can bend on the music vid thing if we can compromise on live footage that doesn't cut up tapes we could hopefully get released in their entirty in the future. Is this idea of any use/sense/etc.? (if we do decide on Josh's great idea, I hope there would be enough room for the extras like the alt. "Seven wonders" vid, making of "Gypsy" footage & "Hold me" outtakes!)If not, should we go by what Marty said and have maybe three complete lists, one of strictly live stuff, one of strictly band music vids and another of a mixture? What do you guys think?

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 11-02-2002 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2001, 06:59 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

If anyone is interested in what the list actually looks like, I'm attaching a small portion to this message. I like your lists Lori and Josh but I think we could probably go for more material-- perhaps between 90 minutes and 2 hours. Maybe add Lori's EOTW and Dreams to Josh's list and then a few more items? There's also no interest in any of the documentaries for half? Just curious...

- Marty

PS-- Any progress on a banner Josh? Something flashy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vaultlist.jpg (76.4 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by ThePenguin; 08-18-2001 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-18-2001, 07:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation There's an idea

How about the Tusk documentary with the 7 Rumour era mac music vids on the end? That way, it's even with the vids and everyone wants the Tusk doc to be re-released (whether it be on DVD or so that VHS collectors can have their own new copies as opossed to getting throw aways from old video stores that have gone bust from ebay (for a pretty price too)).

I'm still thinking on how to compile another list and keep it even with songwriters and live and vid footage but since Marty just said about the docs, I thought I'd mention the idea now.

Anyone like this?

John
Old 08-18-2001, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Sorry Lori, I found EOTW!

OK, how about this list? In no particular order:

1. Tusk (vid)
2. Gypsy (vid)
3. Hold me (vid)
4. Big love (vid)
5. Seven wonders (vid)
6 Little lies (vid)
7. Everywhere (vid)
8. Rhiannon (7:86 is what it says on vault list (?))
9. Sisters of the moon (live in LA/Visible time code)
10. Go your own way (live in LA/Visible time code (or from Brit awards)
11. Not that funny (live in LA/Visible time code)
12. Love in store (live in LA/Visible time code)
13. Songbird (live in LA/Visible time code)
14. The Chain (live in LA/Visible time code)
15. Eyes of the world (billed on list as "Eyes" live in LA/Visible time code)
16. Dreams (live in LA/Visible time code (or from "Paris promo")
17. Sara (4:00 is what it says on vault list (?))
18. I'm so afraid (live in LA/Visible time code)
19. Don't stop (either from Clinton ball or from Brit awards)

(of course we would have to do some rearranging if these LA things were from the Mirage tape but...) This keeps those three songwriters even at 6 each with "The chain" representing everyone and with the addition of a few somgs, it brings the total closer to the 90 minute mark but still keeps it even with those three. If there was time left over either the extras I've mentioned in above posts or maybe to please the fans of the older stuff (as Peter Green did form the band after all) maybe have the clip of "Oh well" from those sessions that gave us "Like crying" & "Linda" which were used on "The early years" DVD but much to my disapointment, "Oh well" was omitted. That would clean that session up as well as keep the songwriters from the Rumours line up even. I was trying to think of a way to work in the Hall of Fame stuff (as this and the Brit awards and the Clinton thing are of great historical documentary vaule in Mac history) but there was no way to get it all in and still have it be even and/or withiout being repetitive ("Big love" etc.). I would've preferred this "Landslide" to this mysterious "Sara" that I've listed above but as we seem to be going by what charted as top 40 hits in the US as most eminent, this is why I chose that but of course we have to remember that we have many overseas fans and they had some other hits in their respective countries (in addition to the Peter Green stuff there's "Oh diane" of course, if anyone thinks we should use that full clip of them lip synching it on British TV we've seen in the "The story of Fleetwood Mac" doc, I'm all for replacing "I'm so afraid" or whatever with this). So we should take some of these things into consideration and I've tried to do that with this list and these comments. I just thought that if weren't long behind the 90 minute mark with most of what we have been able to agree on then that would be a good way around keeping those three songwriters even, having it be at least 90 minutes (but probably and preferrably longer) and making those happy who want footage of foreign hits/other eras of the band represented in some way even if it is only for a few minutes. I would hope though that if you do say "Go your own way" from the "Brit awards" that you would consider taking "Don't stop" from the "Brit awards" too (or "Dreams" from "Paris promo" that "Don't stop" "Paris promo" would go with it too) to attempt to keep things together you know? Any amendments, comments, suggestions, etc. ? Let's hear 'em!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 08-18-2001 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2001, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi John,
Thanks for your great list and adding...Iam So Afraid... for Lindsey! I would like the Mirage... Not that Funny which makes more sense for me then that rather crabby... Not That Funny... on Tusk!
Lindsey is very cute & sexy on both versions!

I really like LB's videos for Soul Drifter &
Countdown...or even Go Insane!
Just my ideas from an emotional point of view! Your List ROCKS!
Marty and all the fans...KEEP up the Good WORK!
CHEERS for THE MAC MUSIC!!! Luv, ~Sky~

p.s. I forgot to tell you! The Brit Awards is GREAT!!! That was a thrill in motion!Lindsey was AWESOME...good footage !!!

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey

Last edited by Skylark; 08-18-2001 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-18-2001, 12:00 PM
Gypsyblue

John,
Your list looks perfect!!!! I like the way you got live stuff mixed with the videos.
Is it possible to add in some "making of" footage?? Or maybe there won't be room.
Old 08-18-2001, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile I'm glad you guys like it!

Yeah, as I figure those songs will add up to about 75 minutes or so, my first choice for the remaining 15-45 minutes of the disc would be the making of footage/outtakes but I just threw in some of those other ideas in case this was not possible.

I like the Mirage "Not that funny" too but.. well, maybe I'm alone on this one but I don't know if many people would want to have the Mirage version on there if we can hopefully get a contact at HBO somewhere down the road after this project ends to see if they would be willing to release the entire show on a seperate disc. Hopefully they will like the idea if we can in fact prove that we have at least 10,000 ready and willing buyers but this hopefully being the case, "Not that funny" from the "Mirage" tape on this first disc would eat away some valuable space for other things that could fit on and I don't think (but maybe I'm wrong) that many people would want to spend money for that piece of film twice when they could still hopefully get it in it's full beauty and use the space that would be vacated by that version on this disc with another version (I don't know from Marty's attachment above post if it's from the Mirage tape or not, it looks like it says "Mirage tour" next to at least one of those LA things which is a fear that it may be from that tape and if it was, my thought would be to try and find another "Not that funny" or whatever (as well as replacing the other LA stuff if it is all Mirage tape stuff but I wouldn't think it would be. If HBO owns the rights, why would Warners have it in their video vault?) So I don't think having "Not that funny" from the Mirage tape is a possibility because of the rights thing anyways but at least this is a good step forward. By all means, if everyone disagrees with my non duplication ways, let's hear it on here so the majority can get what they want! Once again, I feel like such a loudmouth on all of this but I just remebered Marty saying that because he was so busy right now, he needed some people to carry the ball for him a little bit and as I'm ultra excited about the chance of this, I just thought I'd get as involved as I can in the talks you know what I mean?

Anyway, let's hear more yays or nays on this!

John
Old 08-18-2001, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Appeal to the general public

I think that's what we have to concentrate on the most. This has to appeal to everyone, not just the diehard fans like ourselves. Just take the greatest hits or songs that Fleetwood Mac are best known for. Since we haven't seen all the footage in the vaults I think it would be hard to pick which "performance" to choose to represent a certain song. So I guess I'll submit a song request for what I'd like to "see":

Rhiannon
Over My Head
Landslide
Say You Love Me
I'm So Afraid
World Turning
Go Your Own Way
Dreams
Don't Stop
You Make Loving Fun
The Chain
Songbird
Gold Dust Woman
Silver Springs
Tusk
Sara
Gypsy
Hold Me
Big Love
Seven Wonders
Little Lies
Everywhere

Whether it's a conceptual video or a live performance doesn't really matter to me....just pick the best one. This should be more than enough to get 2hrs worth of footage.

I also think it's a good idea to release it on both DVD and VHS format since most people still have video recorders and have not upgraded to DVD yet....better sales potential.

And yeah I agree there is so much more I would love to see released but I think this a good start.

Joe

Last edited by jwd; 08-18-2001 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2001, 06:17 PM
Gypsyblue

This is why I like John's updated list. It includes all the well known hits and live stuff. It's not just a list of obsure songs, but a list of videos and peformances of songs everyone knows and love!!!

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 08-18-2001 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2001, 06:50 PM
Junior Ledgie

What about post-Rumours stuff? Specifically, the box set videos, Skies The Limit, and As Long As You Follow are really really good.

~Brian
Old 08-18-2001, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lori--Those songs could definitely be added...I left Dreams off, simply cause I'm kinda tired of that song . But like I said, that list was just to get an idea on what type of breakdown. And I would LOVE Eyes of the World rather than Not That Funny, too. But I put NTF in b/c I thought it might be a little more well known than Eyes, since they did NTF on the entire Dance tour, too. So with your added songs, my list then turns into John's .

John--That's definitely the type of list I had in mind. So since we CAN add those other songs to my list that Lori suggested (and then some), your list is PERFECT. And since we still have more time, I think some DOCUMENTARY footage would be essential!

Marty--I have NO artistic ability as far as computer art goes. I'm sure somebody would make a much better banner than I could!

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84