The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.
Default Disgusting media

Is anyone else appalled by the media's obsession with finding out if the kidnapped Missouri boy was sexually molested?

Shame on Oprah for asking the parents that question...and now everyone is. I almost feel like people want him to have been abused because it makes for a more titillating story.

I also find it odd that the parents keep doing interviews. Why not let the boy (both of them, actually) be in peace and focus on his healing?

I hate to be one of those blame TV people, but I really wonder if all the shows like CSI, Without A Trace, etc. have desensitized us to the point where we don't realize this incident isn't a tv show.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ I agree. Although I'm sure that was one of the first questions on some of our minds, it's really nobody's business. It will all come out in court anyway, why does everyone need to know right now?

Oprah probably asked because of her whole "I was abused and it's nothing to be ashamed of" thing. I don't disagree with her, but what purpose did it serve for her to ask & for them to answer? Actually, I don't think they directly answered, did they?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm thinking of course they were abused and they'll talk about it when they're ready. Can they even legally talk about it at all right now? It's an insensitive question because, if they were abused, the question will bring the trauma right back. But isn't it a question on everyone's minds? In this case Oprah was just doing her job I think. Plus she doesn't have malicious intent, at least I don't believe she does.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yeah...we are so desensitized to a lot these days. think about the movies that used to be horrific in people's eyes (Suspiria comes to mind) that we would laugh at these days.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with Suze. Oprah was just doing her job as a journalist. I think we all know the answer any way.

Did you guys hear what Bill O'Reilly said about the whole "stockholm syndrome" thing? That it is all bull****

Old 01-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Oprah should know better. She may be approaching with the "I was abused, and there's nothing wrong with it", but the key is that it is up to the abused person to determine if, when, and where to reveal the abuse.

The "people" have no right or need to know this information. Therefore, it is crap journalism, imho.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

That was all the media wanted to know about Elizabeth Smart too....
Old 01-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

TV news just makes me hate people.

That's really its only purpose, I think.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it is a double edged sword. I think the media, and particularly people like Oprah, have been very instrumental in educating the public that being molested is an act of violence and the shame associated with it is not the victim's fault - along with the countless prevention of possible abductions and or familial abuses through the heightened awareness on an issue that was considered a discourse taboo just a decade or so ago. On the other hand, they sell their shows with it. Does the good outweigh the bad? I think it does, but to each their own I guess. I also think there is a tasteful way to do it and Oprah usually is tasteful.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sarah! Agreed'D!!! I hate TV talking heads and the alarmist bull**** they are always trying to pull. And don't get me started on their constant claim to be "family first". It's ratings first. And the first one to get the kid to talk about how often he got molested by that pig is the winner.

Did he get molested? Well he didn't kidnap him just to play Scrabble dumbass!
Old 01-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIUD View Post
Sarah! Agreed'D!!! I hate TV talking heads and the alarmist bull**** they are always trying to pull. And don't get me started on their constant claim to be "family first". It's ratings first. And the first one to get the kid to talk about how often he got molested by that pig is the winner.

Did he get molested? Well he didn't kidnap him just to play Scrabble dumbass!
What I want to know is why they can talk about all that stuff, but you can't say "F---". I swear, this country makes zero sense in general.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was up late last night and I saw Oprah (they repeat her at 1 AM) asking that quesiton of the parents. It did make me sick to my stomach that this would be the focus as the child had been recovered literally days ago. The poor kid is probably dealing with all kinds of things right now and doesn't need god and everyone to know that he was molested. He probably already feels ashamed.