Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love squirrels.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Two sad squirrel stories

Over here we have zillions of grey squirrels and it's officially OK to kill them They get the blame for displacing that untouchable symbol of Britain, the red squirrel, which has all but disappeared, except in Scotland. It's like some kind of horrendous squirrel racism.. red = oppressed hero, grey = evil scum that must be destroyed I feel for the red squirrel, but for years no-one gave a crap about wiping out its habitat and now it's probably too late. But it's really fashionable to blame the grey squirrel insead of blaming ourselves
Old 01-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Poor little guy. This is too sad.

We had tons of squirrels and birds and things around here and we feed them, and they have a good life. It's sweet that you tried to help. Good for you.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
that's a really sad story. i, too, share in the civilization vs. nature guilt, especially when it's such a personal situation. reminds me of another sad story ... the first day of summer vacation after my jr year of high school, i was driving back up to school to turn in a late assignment (really late, yeah) when i saw up ahead, an oncoming car was stopped in the middle of the road, and there was a cat leaping up and down in front of it. as i got closer, it was clear the cat had gotten hit and snapped his neck, and the leaping was caused by the severe neurological damage. and the dude drove away!!! so i got out, and picked the cat out of the street, and just held him till he died. so sad. the poor guy. i'm actually crying just thinking about it.
A few months ago I was driving home from work when I saw a cat about 200 feet in front of me about to cross the street. I immediately slowed down, but when I checked my rear view mirror I saw this BMW driving up, passing me on the left side. I know he saw the cat also, but instead of slowing down he increased speed and instead of staying in his own lane, he went over the white line to make sure that he would hit the poor animal. Had he stayed in his lane, or crossed the line on the other side, the cat would have been able to cross the street safely. Instead he hit it on purpose, right in front of my eyes. I was so mad. There wasn't anything I could for the cat anymore, I could see that right away. When we came up to the stoplight a little further up I rolled down my window and told that asshole exactly what I thought of his actions. Well, screamed it at him, really.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Carrie i'm sorry you had to go through this. I have a soft spot in my heart for them ever since the little baby squirrel "curby" died. I hate for anything to suffer (except ex boyfriends lol) because i get SO upset. You did the right thing and at least he's no longer in pain. a million other people would have left him so you are an angel
Old 01-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

damn, this is so sad. I keep getting pictures of that poor thing dragging itself. makes me tear up.

I have a sad story. a co-worker and I were outside on break and a bird flew into a window right next to us. our building is all glass, but it's like black glass...does that make sense? I don't know what the bird was thinking, but he plopped down and I almost died. he struggled for a second to move and his wings just wouldn't work. I went over to him and I saw his legs straighten out and he was still. I thought maybe he was scared and was just being quiet. I nudged him and he didn't flinch. I knew he was gone. I used leaves (didn't want to touch him) and placed him under a bush and went back to work. I thought about him all that day and the next.

RIP depth-perceptionally-challenged-winged-one
Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That sucks about the BS runaround they gave you...But at least you care about animals (I've seen teenagers hit and kill a calico kitten and laugh about it - They're lucky I had Deb to calm me down because I would have 'went physical' on their asses.)

RIP 'squirrel friend'...
Old 01-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Poor little puff... One of each color in honor of the puff squirrel

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks for the responses, everyone. i knew i could count on all the ledgie animal lovers!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love going to my state capital due to the fact squirrels run wild on the capital yards and there are laws to protect them.

RIP Lil Ohio Squirrel.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17 View Post
I love going to my state capital due to the fact squirrels run wild on the capital yards and there are laws to protect them.

RIP Lil Ohio Squirrel.

Sorry, but this struck me as funny. I am thinking the politicians were "squirrly" and were running around the capital yards with laws......NM I am warped today.

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Ledgie

Too bad for the little guy. Your great for at least trying to help. Your concern probably comforted him, animals always seem to know when your trying to help.
Thankfully we have a pretty good wildlife rescue in my area. I have taken some to them, and they have came out to get some. One of these days, when we get a bigger place, I would so love to volunteer for that sort of thing. Here they give you everything you need, cages, food, training, etc, so it really only take time and space...and people that care to try to help.

RAL tour '86
Old 01-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
yesterday after work i found an injured squirrel outside on the sidewalk; his back legs had been crushed, apparently by a car. he dragged himself away from me for a bit, but eventually rested under a bench. i managed to contain him under a tomato box and called the city to see if the animal warden (or, y'know, whoever) would come get him, but the city said they don't deal with wildlife. right. so i called the district wildlife people and they told me to call the city. thanks. i told them that i had already talked to the city and was told they didn't deal with wildlife, and the district guy told me the city lied to me. yeah, thanks again. doesn't matter, they said they weren't going to help me. the dude told me i could either sit with the squirrel and wait for someone from the district to come, but that could be hours or days (!!!!!????), or i could take him outside the city limits and shoot him (yeah, i'll just pull out my rifle that i always have at the ready), or i could take him to a wildlife rehab place. THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP, I'M SO GLAD I PAY TAXES!!!!! jesus. i was going to take him to the wildlife rehab place that i took that bird to last year, but sadly, he died on the way home. RIP, little dude.

Your kindness will most certainly be rapaid 10 fold!