User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Give Me Fillmore East 3/71 WITHOUT TORRENT (Youtube!), and we can do there.
I don't understand what you are trying to say . Could you explain please?
Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Slipkid, I have no idea what you're trying to say either. Your last few posts here make no sense at all to me. What seems "phony" to you about THD and his recollections of seeing Fleetwood Mac in the '60s? Personally I've enjoyed reading about his memories of those times, and I can't imagine why you are trying to drive him away.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up We want more Memoirs of an English Blues Fan!!!

I agree with both THD and sharksfan. THD's reminiscences have really added a lot to "Life on The Ledge" with their authen(ti?)sity and - first and foremost - humour. The concerts are not only very well remembered, but the pieces are also of litterary and historical value.

It's nice to hear from someboby who wasn't so stoned out of his mind that he can´t remember what he did - and most important - listened to in the sixties and seventies. The guy that slept through Peter Green and John Mayall at the festival in Bath for instance.....

Just keep'm coming THD!

Ms Moose
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Concert at the Royal Albert Hall 22April 1969

We were right in the highest balcony which goes most of the way round the circular building, but we were a long way from the stage watching at a very steep angle. In this position there was always a problem of hearing a loud reverb reflection, being so close to the domed roof You hear it louder and sooner than the people at lower level They put glass fibre baffles, shaped like flying saucers suspended below the dome, but I don’t recall them helping much -they were probably for the benefit of those in the main body of the hall Don’t even remember if they’d been installed at this time.
Duster Bennet was very good he sat on a stool ,played a goldish coloured les Paul -probably the one Peter had given him ,played harmonica on a harness round his neck, and played a bass drum with one foot and hi-hat with the other. It was a delight to see ,and he kicked up a storm, but it became a little monotonous after several numbers and the novelty had worn off .
Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee were on the bill , but I remember nothing !if indeed I saw them (The only memories I seem to have of them are TV appearances )
Fleetwood Mac were as usual excellent At one point Peter was heckled from the floor of the hall with” You’ve sold out!” when he announced Albatross (I think ) He probably said something back, but if he did ,I don’t remember what it was! I recall one number was a master class in building the excitement up to a climax and then Peter signalled with his hand I think and they took it right down, but still a swinging little blues shuffle like you could hear a pin drop, and then they built it back up to an intensity that you didn’t think was possible- higher than the original climax .That was the exciting part of FM and then Peter would break your heart with some sad song., Danny and Jeremy did their numbers all fine stuff but I don’t remember any R&R parodies this night !
BB King and band were great, I think they were the last on . Exciting ,moving and I was really impressed .Only time I’ve seen him live . BB broke a string and regaled us with the story of how Lucille got her name.
I enjoyed Fleetwood Mac the most and hoped that my school pals who accompanied me were suitably impressed, and had learned something about the real way to play blues I’ve read accounts that say Eric Clapton was there ,with George Harrison and Patti Boyd so I’d make a guess that Mick’s wife Jenny ( Patti’s sister )was there with them (it would be interesting to hear her first hand account if she and the others were there because the accounts say BB said something like” sorry but Peter’s the best English blues player” from the stage to Clapton and Harrison. If he said this I’m sure I would have remembered ,I didn’t see any of the aforementioned sitting in the front rows they may have been in a box of course and from our position it would have been impossible to even see the boxes below us let alone anyone in them !

Last edited by THD; 06-07-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

THD, thanks so much for your impressions of this show! It is one for which a bootleg recording exists of Fleetwood Mac's set - though as with most bootlegs, the sound quality is not very good. The setlist from the bootleg is this:

Before the Beginning
Coming Your Way
My Baby's Sweet
Jumping At Shadows
Tallahassee Lassie
Like Crying
Something Inside of Me
Can't Hold Out
Long Tall Sally
Albatross

It's a shorter set than usual for the band, no doubt since there were so many other performers on the bill for that show. Interesting that Green chose to play "Jumping At Shadows" with Duster Bennett on the same bill! I believe "Albatross" was played as an encore, and you're probably correct about the intro for that song being when the heckler shouted out.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I believe "Albatross" was played as an encore, and you're probably correct about the intro for that song being when the heckler shouted out.
So you can't hear the Mac being heckled on the bootleg then? My memory puts the outburst earlier in the set , so maybe it wasn't Albatross that was targetted ! Not many straight blues numbers in their set ,so maybe I remembered wrong ,and he heckled a R&R number-or definitely after Peter introduced the number by name . I think Peter did tend to introduce the songs- does he do that on the bootleg ?
And finally that is remarkable about Jumping at Shadows . I would've thought Duster might have joined them for this but I don't remember it if he did !
Old 06-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
So you can't hear the Mac being heckled on the bootleg then? My memory puts the outburst earlier in the set , so maybe it wasn't Albatross that was targetted ! Not many straight blues numbers in their set ,so maybe I remembered wrong ,and he heckled a R&R number-or definitely after Peter introduced the number by name . I think Peter did tend to introduce the songs- does he do that on the bootleg ?
And finally that is remarkable about Jumping at Shadows . I would've thought Duster might have joined them for this but I don't remember it if he did !
Well, it's been awhile since I've listened to this one, so I'll have to see if there was some heckling earlier than "Albatross". I know Peter gave a fairly lengthy intro for "Albatross" during other shows but I'll have to listen again to the Albert Hall show to find out about intros for this and other numbers.

I certainly don't recall hearing Duster Bennett during "Jumping At Shadows" but I'll have another listen.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One question I have is: Did Duster play "Jumping At Shadows" as well, or did only Fleetwood Mac play it??

If the latter, then Duster probably considered "Jumping At Shadows" a Fleetwood Mac song, the same way John McVie considered "Black Magic Woman" a Santana song after a while, due to the cover version being the infinitely more popular & well-known version.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
One question I have is: Did Duster play "Jumping At Shadows" as well, or did only Fleetwood Mac play it??

If the latter, then Duster probably considered "Jumping At Shadows" a Fleetwood Mac song, the same way John McVie considered "Black Magic Woman" a Santana song after a while, due to the cover version being the infinitely more popular & well-known version.
It's a good question Chili D -if only I could remember !
I did not even remember that the Mac played it, at this concert!
Worse still ,I have no memory of seeing them play it at any concert I attended !
And without Sharksfan's set list, I would have guessed that Duster played it, as it was his best known song (I certainly associated it with him at the time rather than FM ) He may well have played it ! Someone obviously smuggled a tape recorder in there (not an easy thing to do then if you were part of the audience as they were quite bulky) so did that person record the other acts also ?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I listened to the Albert Hall show this evening, and you can hear someone shouting from the audience just before "Jumping At Shadows" and again before "Tallahassie Lassie," then again just after "Like Crying," and briefly after "Something Inside Of Me," but the sound quality is not good enough for me to tell what they were shouting. Can't tell if they were heckling the band or just shouting out for a particular favorite song. You can hear more than one person shouting at times. There's more of it as Peter is trying to introduce "Albatross." Again, I can't tell what's being shouted, but Peter and the audience start laughing in response at a couple of points before they play "Albatross."

I'm pretty certain that Duster Bennett was not part of Fleetwood Mac's performance of "Jumping At Shadows" - there's certainly no audible trace of his being there as far as I can tell.

It's actually a better quality recording than what I'd remembered it to be, though it's still far from a "good" recording. Regardless, it's nice to have a document of this show.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I listened to the Albert Hall show this evening, and you can hear someone shouting from.......
Thanks very much for listening to it so quickly and giving the info Sharksfan.So the most likely contenders for hekling are Talahassie Llassie and Albatross , and it's probably the latter, as Peter seems to have made some drole put down ,which made the audience laugh! (He could be very funny when introducing songs -Rattlesnake Shake for example (which has witty lyrics as it is !) But he could also be very serious and factual ) So did he announce each number ( please don't listen to it all again- just if you can remember !
Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bennett had recorded the song, with members of FM backing him in September of 1968 – he performed the number for a BBC Radio broadcast that October, where he included a verse not heard in the studio version – worth seeking out
Other than that, I am not sure that the song was one that Bennett played often in concert –
Years ago Indigo Records released six discs collecting Bennett home recordings, BBC air-shots, and some clandestine club recordings, and only one other version of the song appears –
The first two recordings of Green performing the song with Fleetwood Mac date from shows in March and April of 1969 during a Scandinavian tour – the next available version is the one from the Royal Albert Hall –
Could this have been a situation similar to that of ‘Black Magic Woman’? Where Green had written and recorded the number in early ’68 and then only performed the number a few times before mothballing it, not returning to it for almost two years?
The song grew in stature as seminal recording in his career because of the success of Santana’s cover – at the time, I do not believe Green thought of it as a “break through” in the way he came to think of ‘Albatross’ or ‘Oh Well’
The same may have been true for Bennett and ‘Jumping at Shadows’

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 06-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks very much for listening to it so quickly and giving the info Sharksfan.So the most likely contenders for hekling are Talahassie Llassie and Albatross , and it's probably the latter, as Peter seems to have made some drole put down ,which made the audience laugh! (He could be very funny when introducing songs -Rattlesnake Shake for example (which has witty lyrics as it is !) But he could also be very serious and factual ) So did he announce each number ( please don't listen to it all again- just if you can remember !
THD, I believe that "Albatross" was the only song that got a spoken introduction during the set...or if there were other intros they were edited out, but it doesn't sound that way on the recording. The other shouting from the audience that can be heard is just between numbers, not during any announcements. Peter also did give a nice acknowledgment of Jeremy as the crowd were applauding after "Can't Hold Out".
Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
THD, I believe that "Albatross" was the only song that got a spoken introduction during the set...or if there were other intros they were edited out, but it doesn't sound that way on the recording. The other shouting from the audience that can be heard is just between numbers, not during any announcements. Peter also did give a nice acknowledgment of Jeremy as the crowd were applauding after "Can't Hold Out".
Then I think we can conclude that he was heckled after he announced Albatross, and my feeling that it happened earlier was wrong Thanks for the research . I appreciate it !
Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Duster Bennet was very good he sat on a stool ,played a goldish coloured les Paul -probably the one Peter had given him
I've wondered if that was the same gold-top Kirwan used at one point...

Quote:
At one point Peter was heckled from the floor of the hall with” You’ve sold out!”
Didn't that also happen to Lindsey around the "Tusk" tour?

THE Stephen Hopkins