Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
It was definitely not Glen Frey ..so it had to be Dave Mason . You're right about the Cruzados on Tango..they just were not that memorable to me.
It must have been Glen's night off

https://stevienicks.bellaillume.com/...no%20tourbooks).
Old 08-14-2020, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
It must have been Glen's night off

https://stevienicks.bellaillume.com/...no%20tourbooks).
It must have been ..I'm not senile quite yet. I would have remembered seeing any of the Eagles live. Like I did Joe Walsh opening for Stevie on The Wild Heart.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It must have been ..I'm not senile quite yet. I would have remembered seeing any of the Eagles live. Like I did Joe Walsh opening for Stevie on The Wild Heart.
I believe you. I remember reading that Glenn did not exclusively do the entire second half after Men At Work left the bill. I think I actually remember reading that Glenn only performed one night at the Forum. So it totally makes sense that Dave played the night you saw them.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I believe you. I remember reading that Glenn did not exclusively do the entire second half after Men At Work left the bill. I think I actually remember reading that Glenn only performed one night at the Forum. So it totally makes sense that Dave played the night you saw them.
That would explain it..One thing that I can't remember is who opened for them the first time I saw Fleetwood Mac at the San Diego Sports arena in December 1979.That show was awesome too .I may have gotten there late .I was still in high school.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Danny Douma opened...

Danny Douma AllMusic Review by Rob Theakston

The opening harmonics on "Hurt to Pride" make it sound promising, but then the band kicks in and Danny Douma's debut recording seems mildly flaccid at first, echoing the musical DNA of several other southern California acts of the '70s. But as the recording continues, things pick up steam and Douma starts to develop a unique sound of his own. It's a polished effort through and through, with concerted efforts to break the mold of southern California rock. At times Douma succeeds with flying colors, and at other times he fails miserably. The big hit here, however, is "Hate You," a bluesy laid-back shuffle affair (think Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop"), which features everyone in the Mac (minus Stevie Nicks) and Eric Clapton as his backing band. Douma never made another album after this -- which is both a curiosity and an enigma, considering that his potential as a singer/songwriter could have been so much more with a bit more

https://youtu.be/2AcXBZWKFw4
Old 08-15-2020, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Men at Work were slated to open originally, but when Fleetwood's LA shows were postponed to late October, Men at Work was out because of scheduling conflicts and Dave Mason and Jim Krueger were hired to open. The two did an acoustic set at the Forum. Glenn Frey was an opener for the specially arranged Irvine Meadows show, a medical benefit (also featuring Don Henley, Boz Scaggs, Joe Walsh, and JD Souther) and in Oakland.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 08-15-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Old 08-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Men at Work were slated to open originally, but when Fleetwood's LA shows were postponed to late October, Men at Work was out because of scheduling conflicts and Dave Mason and Jim Krueger were hired to open..
Thanks you ! I was wondering when you were going to chime in

Old 08-16-2020, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We used to crack a tasteless joke about the Irvine Meadows (Verizon Wireless) show that Stevie Nicks was sharing a stage with four of her boyfriends (Mick, Lindsey, Don, and JD) and a fifth on the way (Joe). I think it still holds the world record.

Doug already mentioned Danny Douma and the Night Eyes. They were the opener in California in 1979. I have totally forgot what they sound like.

Speaking of openers, there was one time I recall where I loved the opener much more than the headliner's performance: Squeeze (one of the tastiest pop bands of its era, and I think fronted by Paul Carrack at that time) opened for Fleetwood in 1990 - and I think many of us really would have preferred that they stay onstage and Mac just stay backstage in the greenroom.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-16-2020, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Isn't it weird how great Christopher Cross was out of the gate, with 4 singles, and struggled hard after that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd1DTG9lwuQ
It's curious, I was just reading about C. Cross at Wikipedia and it calls the "curse of the MTV generation": After 1984, Cross's star quickly dimmed. As music television station MTV grew to dominate the mainstream music scene in the United States, Cross's style of music proved to be a bad fit for the network, and Cross' brand of adult contemporary music declined in popularity.

Reading that, now I wonder how would have been the Carpenters' future during the 80s if Karen had not died or suffered anorexia.

Last edited by Villavic; 08-16-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Old 08-16-2020, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
It's curious, I was just reading about C. Cross at Wikipedia and it calls the "curse of the MTV generation": After 1984, Cross's star quickly dimmed. As music television station MTV grew to dominate the mainstream music scene in the United States, Cross's style of music proved to be a bad fit for the network, and Cross' brand of adult contemporary music declined in popularity.

Reading that, now I wonder how would have been the Carpenters' future during the 80s if Karen had not died or suffered anorexia.
I'd guess the Carpenters probably would have faded as well, THEN had a resurgence a decade or so later.

I know Christopher Cross still tours, although I've never seen a date anywhere near me. I love that first album, and would go! Although I'll bet he's doing theaters, at best now.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'd guess the Carpenters probably would have faded as well, THEN had a resurgence a decade or so later.

I know Christopher Cross still tours, although I've never seen a date anywhere near me. I love that first album, and would go! Although I'll bet he's doing theaters, at best now.
Everytime I hear this song now, I think of you missing out wasting time at the concession stand waiting for a hot dog and popcorn. McDonald shows up for this one!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIza6AvI4MA

I think its an over statement that MTV killed Cross's career. He suffered a bit of a sophomoric jinx that came shortly. In 1981 he was top of the world. Several Grammy awards, Oscar for best song, 2 #1 songs and one #2 (ride like the wind) that really should have been #1 but I think "Physical" which was #1 for 9 weeks screwed it out of the #1 spot. His music was not as good as his first album as he embraced the synth pop of the mid 80's. Another star Paul McCartney also flopped mid 80s. He released 2 albums in the mid 80s that yielded NO hits let alone a hit video. It was because the music was crap. He embraced the synth pop which almost killed his career. This was post Say Say Say with Michael Jackson. Say what you will but Sailing and Ride Like the Wind hold up so much that they could be released today.

Popcorn anyone?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-17-2020 at 12:34 PM..
Old 08-17-2020, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Everytime I hear this song now, I think of you missing out wasting time at the concession stand waiting for a hot dog and popcorn. McDonald shows up for this one!!!

I think its an over statement that MTV killed Cross's career. He suffered a bit of a sophomoric jinx that came shortly. In 1981 he was top of the world. Several Grammy awards, Oscar for best song, 2 #1 songs and one #2 (ride like the wind) that really should have been #1 but I think "Physical" which was #1 for 9 weeks screwed it out of the #1 spot. His music was not as good as his first album as he embraced the synth pop of the mid 80's. Another star Paul McCartney also flopped mid 80s. He released 2 albums in the mid 80s that yielded NO hits let alone a hit video. It was because the music was crap. He embraced the synth pop which almost killed his career. This was post Say Say Say with Michael Jackson. Say what you will but Sailing and Ride Like the Wind hold up so much that they could be released today.

Popcorn anyone?
In Cross's case it did not help at all that he looked much more like a plumber than a member of Duran Duran.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Popcorn anyone?
Yeah, he was never much to look at, which certainly didn't help when MTV kicked in.

Y'all know the FM trivia on him, right?

He once drove a limo and drove members of FM one night.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In Cross's case it did not help at all that he looked much more like a plumber than a member of Duran Duran.
And that was a complete 80s and/or MTV factor.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
And that was a complete 80s and/or MTV factor.
My point exactly.