User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Just put it out as a Lindsey and Christine album, featuring John and Mick.
Or, just call it Fleetwood Mac. They've already done two with three out of four members, why not one more?

But Stevie's really not holding them back right now. They're playing a political game so that they don't burn their bridges with the record label the band has been on since 1970. Lindsey and Christine have both said Stevie's on board for the next record, it's only Mick and Stevie that haven't gone quite that far. Do the math. Stevie is the only one promoting a solo record while not touring it, and has even said that she owed the label a record.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 11-07-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Old 11-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I mean, it doesn't take a lot of brains to figure out a Fleetwood Mac album with all five members of the classic lineup will certainly do better than anything anyone of them could do outside of Fleetwood Mac. Even if it was just to further her solo career, Stevie would do whatever it took to be a part of a new Fleetwood Mac album if Christine McVie and Lindsey Buckingham were in the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Or, just call it Fleetwood Mac. They've already done two with three out of four members, why not one more?
thanks you! exactly!! what kind of bs is that calling it something other that FM?

Quote:
But Stevie's really not holding them back right now. They're playing a political game so that they don't burn their bridges with the record label the band has been on since 1970. Lindsey and Christine have both said Stevie's on board for the next record, it's only Mick and Stevie that haven't gone quite that far.
and you know all this how? did you talk to them?

it's a nice conjecture and i respect your expertise in the industry, but these people are... well, weird. rime or reason may not actually apply to them. and i hope they are not courting WB for this album. if they want to be on the big label cause they are too lazy to hire the right people to promote them if indie, then at least go court Interscope or something!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
thanks you! exactly!! what kind of bs is that calling it something other that FM?

it's a nice conjecture and i respect your expertise in the industry, but these people are... well, weird. rime or reason may not actually apply to them. and i hope they are not courting WB for this album. if they want to be on the big label cause they are too lazy to hire the right people to promote them if indie, then at least go court Interscope or something!
Exactly. Warner is big but they seem to be horrible with promotion (at least with Fleetwood Mac).

As far as a new album goes, maybe Stevie can do her tracks when they have the assumed break between the US and UK tours (which they plan to announce Monday). If not, I really don't care. I wish I could hibernate all through 2015. 2016 can't come soon enough for me.

Jamie
Old 11-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
The same way I figured out 24KG was a contractual rush job done to enable Stevie to dedicate the foreseeable future to Fleetwood Mac. Just a basic understanding of industry politics.

Quote:
OR, it's simply easier to have the entire catalog available (at least in North America) on one label.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

as I said, I believe there would be business/legal complications. If Stevie says I didn't quit FM, but they've released an album without me there could be problems. I am sure there are contracts in place that define what/who "Fleetwood Mac" means unless otherwise agreed to by the parties involved.

I'm not talking about how can they put out an album to sell the most copies. That's a bit of a moot point these days.

I'm saying that if this group of people minus Stevie has a collection of music that they would like to put out as the next (possibly final) collection for people to hear for ARTISTIC reasons, not especially sales, then they should do it. Call it whatever.

I still believe the producer issue is the sticking point for Stevie, followed by time that she wants to spend on solo stuff. She wants to do her alternating back-and-forth between careers thing. Understandable. But time is running out. She's made it clear she's likely NOT going to do the Goldfish & Ladybug project, doubtful on the Rhiannon project, or the memoir in the next five or ten years. She's mentioned a SFV vol 2…well, how long did it take her to do Vol 1? So realistically, how long would it take her to do Vol 2? A couple months? 6 months? In any case it won't eat up an amount of time that precludes a Mac album.

I agree with those who say it makes absolutely zero sense that she doesn't at least say "Fleetwood Mac still has some chapters to be written" or "This band's not over yet, we may surprise you with more new music" or something that doesn't pin her to a timeframe but does indicate she is indeed onboard.

But like others have said, this band is special. Bless their hearts.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
haha no. the end of stevie is the end of fleetwood mac.
I don't think that's true at all. Considering musically she has very little to do with the other two songwriters songs I think they would carry on without her if she decide she wanted to focus on her solo career instead of continue with the band. Christine's all in now she's not going to quit and I don't see Lindsey quitting either. I don't think she would ever quit though even if she wanted to.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I agree with those who say it makes absolutely zero sense that she doesn't at least say "Fleetwood Mac still has some chapters to be written" or "This band's not over yet, we may surprise you with more new music" or something that doesn't pin her to a timeframe but does indicate she is indeed onboard.
I think she's the only one who's said something to the effect of "I hope this tour goes on forever". The others have all expressed a strong desire to make an album. Well John hasn't said much of anything as usual, but he's participated in everything. I'm sure he wants an album too.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 11-08-2014 at 12:39 AM..
Old 11-08-2014, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
An album like that would sell like 20K tops.
I would doubt it. There's so much interest in the tour (and many of the punters only casual Fleetwood Mac fans) that you can almost guarantee decent, if unspectacular, album sales whatever the line-up.

I think an album under a moniker such as 'The Mini-Mac' would do well simply due to the fuss it would cause. There'd be a lot of debate in the music press which would give it a high profile. You never know, if Christine and Lindsey have been able to do their magic together they could even pop out a hit song which would boost sales. If FM do ever have another hit single it will undoubtedly come from Christine.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
as I said, I believe there would be business/legal complications. If Stevie says I didn't quit FM, but they've released an album without me there could be problems. I am sure there are contracts in place that define what/who "Fleetwood Mac" means unless otherwise agreed to by the parties involved.
Didn't the Monkees make an album with just Peter and Mickey, because Davy, although touring, refused to make new music with the band?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Didn't the Monkees make an album with just Peter and Mickey, because Davy, although touring, refused to make new music with the band?
I don't know about the Monkees, but Steve Walsh of Kansas just recently retired from the band and immediately in the band's introduction press release they brought up the possibility of new music with the new singer when they haven't released an album since 2000. Clearly Steve was holding them back in the regard. They'd even released an album about 5 years ago under a different band name even though it was essentially Kansas (the current lineup at that time) without Steve Walsh.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
Exactly. Warner is big but they seem to be horrible with promotion (at least with Fleetwood Mac).

As far as a new album goes, maybe Stevie can do her tracks when they have the assumed break between the US and UK tours (which they plan to announce Monday). If not, I really don't care. I wish I could hibernate all through 2015. 2016 can't come soon enough for me.

Jamie
Me too! I was really hoping for a short Stevie solo tour this spring/summer before FM went to Europe.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu28 View Post
Me too! I was really hoping for a short Stevie solo tour this spring/summer before FM went to Europe.
I was hoping for that too
Old 11-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Short solo tour? No freaking way. We want songs with FM that will last forever recorded with the classic lineup that hasn't really recorded together since 1987.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Short solo tour? No freaking way. We want songs with FM that will last forever recorded with the classic lineup that hasn't really recorded together since 1987.

HELLO! Get this Fleetwood Mac album out!