User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, he probably laughs because he teases her with it. I don't think he sees getting into FM as such a great thing that he has to hold it over her head seriously. The bigger coup for him was the power he had once they were actually IN and the band began to see him as one of the main reasons for their success. That gave him a lot of power as to the albums, which Stevie endlessly complained about. I think he enjoyed that power a lot more than he enjoyed being the one to get her or himself into FM. So, I don't think the "package deal" is a big triumph in his mind other than something that he genuinely laughs about -- not laughing to make the truth go down easier.

Before FM, Stevie is the one who says that the record company wanted him, not her when they left Fritz and I've never even heard him bring that up. I don't think it gives him lots of satisfaction to be able to say someone wanted a guitarist. I think if he wants to go na-na-na-na-na about something it would more be that he feels he has crafted their sound -- or at least the parts of their sound that he considers to be any good.

Michele
I think you are right about your assessment of Lindsey. The only thing I wanted to add was about the "package deal". Unfortunately for Lindsey it seems that a lot of things about Fleetwood Mac are a double edge sword and this is one of them. Lindsey clearly loved the Buckingham Nicks duo and saw them (and I believe still does see them) as a team. I think Lindsey is also proud of himself (and I think he should be) that he was loyal to their Buckingham Nicks duo and insisted to Mick that if they want him they had to take Stevie too.

It's kind of weird too if you think about it. Mick wanted Lindsey (without Stevie) to join the band, but it was Stevie that talked Lindsey into joining the band and Lindsey insisting to Mick that he and Stevie were a package deal that allowed her to join the band too. It's very much like the cyclical thing Lindsey always talks about.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post

As to journalistic integrity, I agree many writers misquote whoever they are interviewing or sometimes even just make stuff up to add to their story, but I don't think the writer did that in this case because to me it sounds like something Lindsey would say (but who knows :shrug).
Yeah, I saw Lindsey say that on tv. In the same interview where he said that when they met at that youth gathering, Stevie recited some of her poetry and he said that she considered herself a poet even then. He said he was quick to criticize what she quoted to him and he said, "that hasn't changed."

Michele
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think you are right about your assessment of Lindsey. The only thing I wanted to add was about the "package deal". Unfortunately for Lindsey it seems that a lot of things about Fleetwood Mac are a double edge sword and this is one of them. Lindsey clearly loved the Buckingham Nicks duo and saw them (and I believe still does see them) as a team. I think Lindsey is also proud of himself (and I think he should be) that he was loyal to their Buckingham Nicks duo and insisted to Mick that if they want him they had to take Stevie too.

It's kind of weird too if you think about it. Mick wanted Lindsey (without Stevie) to join the band, but it was Stevie that talked Lindsey into joining the band and Lindsey insisting to Mick that he and Stevie were a package deal that allowed her to join the band too. It's very much like the cyclical thing Lindsey always talks about.
Well, Keith told Mick up front he wouldn't get LB without Stevie. Stevie wanted a steady income from performing, but I don't think she was immediately on board with it - she may have felt a little threatened. Waddy talked to Lindsey about it and encouraged him that FM could actually be a great "backup band" for BN. The deal was presented to LB in the form of, we'll gain some much needed exposure this way and then go back to BN. But, that didn't happen...
Old 09-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Well, Keith told Mick up front he wouldn't get LB without Stevie. Stevie wanted a steady income from performing, but I don't think she was immediately on board with it - she may have felt a little threatened. Waddy talked to Lindsey about it and encouraged him that FM could actually be a great "backup band" for BN. The deal was presented to LB in the form of, we'll gain some much needed exposure this way and then go back to BN. But, that didn't happen...
we actually have like 5 different versions of how those phone calls and convos went, so who knows what is the actual truth. probably nobody, at this point.

Mick and Lindsey usually tell version where Mick asked Keith for Lindsey's phone number and call him directly. you also have embellished this year's WY intro version which goes somewhat like this:
ring. ring.
hello?
hello lindsey, it's mick.
hello mick.
hey lindsey, would you like to join fleetwood mac?
uhm mick?
yes lindsey?
if you take me, you got to take my girlfriend too.

and then we heard Keith say in one of his versions (in Sound City doc) that he immediately told Mick that Lindsey won't go without his gf.

so who knows how it exactly went lol.

i would think the same 5+ versions of "truth" exist for the rest of the above post (Waddy talked to... and blah blah blah... Stevie convinced Lindsey, etc etc)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I take the WY intro to be more of a stand up comedy routine than anything else.

Michele
Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
we actually have like 5 different versions of how those phone calls and convos went, so who knows what is the actual truth. probably nobody, at this point.

Mick and Lindsey usually tell version where Mick asked Keith for Lindsey's phone number and call him directly. you also have embellished this year's WY intro version which goes somewhat like this:
ring. ring.
hello?
hello lindsey, it's mick.
hello mick.
hey lindsey, would you like to join fleetwood mac?
uhm mick?
yes lindsey?
if you take me, you got to take my girlfriend too.

and then we heard Keith say in one of his versions (in Sound City doc) that he immediately told Mick that Lindsey won't go without his gf.

so who knows how it exactly went lol.

i would think the same 5+ versions of "truth" exist for the rest of the above post (Waddy talked to... and blah blah blah... Stevie convinced Lindsey, etc etc)
Yeah, Michele's right about the WY pretend call LB was doing.

My synopsis was based more on Keith & Waddy's memories, which I think are fairly good. Also, Crystal Zevon stated in her book that Lindsey had been talking to all of them on the Everly tour about joining, so I think he was trying to get some advice from a lot of friends. I do believe Stevie eventually saw that it was going to be a very good practical move for them to get some money coming in and if it didn't work out they could live off it for a while and finish their BN 2 album. Stevie probably got on the ship faster with Keith's prodding and the two of them convinced Lindsey that it would be the best thing for them to do. Since BN was getting a little recognition finally in the South though, the decision to change gears and leave something where he was in full artistic control was harder for him. But, keeping a happy girlfriend was probably a great motivation too.

Last edited by CADreaming; 09-11-2013 at 11:04 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My synopsis was based more on Keith & Waddy's memories, which I think are fairly good. Also, Crystal Zevon stated in her book that Lindsey had been talking to all of them on the Everly tour about joining, so I think he was trying to get some advice from a lot of friends.
yeah. i have no idea how good Keith's, Waddy's, Lindsey's or Mick's memories are. i have heard Keith tell several versions, in some of them he just gave Mick Lindsey's phone number, in others, he himself told Mick everything he needed to know. who knows which of these versions is true lol.

plus as we all know in general, people like to tell the same story in several different ways, whatever suits occasion and may elicit better reaction. WY intro is one of those ever changing versions. if audience laughed at certain lines, they stayed in Lindsey's WY intro story, and kept being augmented.

not sure why it's important anyway.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yeah. i have no idea how good Keith's, Waddy's, Lindsey's or Mick's memories are. i have heard Keith tell several versions, in some of them he just gave Mick Lindsey's phone number, in others, he himself told Mick everything he needed to know. who knows which of these versions is true lol.

plus as we all know in general, people like to tell the same story in several different ways, whatever suits occasion and may elicit better reaction. WY intro is one of those ever changing versions. if audience laughed at certain lines, they stayed in Lindsey's WY intro story, and kept being augmented.

not sure why it's important anyway.
Of course it's important.

Keith has always been pretty solid in his comments from what I've read and heard. I think Keith did all of that - he told Mick what he needed to know, gave him their number and stayed up all night talking to Stevie & Lindsey about it.

The only real discrepancy I've heard is the time frame. It was apparently stewing a little bit longer than they remember.

Last edited by CADreaming; 09-11-2013 at 11:18 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course it's important.

Keith has always been pretty solid in his comments from what I've read and heard. I think Keith did all of that - he told Mick what he needed to know, gave him their number and stayed up all night talking to Stevie & Lindsey about it.

The only real discrepancy I've heard is the time frame. It was apparently stewing a little bit longer than they remember.
interesting re different time frames - what are they?

maybe Keith was trying to make sure he gets rid of that woman who was doing such crappy job cleaning his house (considering he told her she and her bf should just move in with him, b/c he had enough of paying her for that)?

so maybe Keith actually did tell Mick LB won't join without SN and screwed up Lindsey for life of being stuck with Stevie? and LB was actually considering just saying yes on his own? since he knew Stevie went to Aspen while he's with Everlys so she can kinda keep and eye on him, but at the same time contemplate whether or not she should just dump him and whether she can find someone better. (if nothing else, Monday Morning from that time frame clearly says he was well aware of her going back and forth on their relationship.)

kids, just in case someone get all twisted about the above, i just made up that last paragraph on the spot.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
interesting re different time frames - what are they?
I don't know, but Lindsey apparently had enough time to tell the people he was touring with that he and Stevie were contemplating joining FM because the one guy from Zevon's book asked Lindsey why he would consider it, since he thought that Lindsey was earning sufficient money with them on the tour already and that joining FM would be a step down.

Michele
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Touchy, Touchy OK, next time I will call you dude, so you know I am not trying to feminize you.

...and there are a lot of people that misquote a person or embellish...

I prefer Iceman, but call me what you like.

Misquotes, embellishments??????
Who on this board would do such
a thing?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I prefer Iceman, but call me what you like.
I'll just call you Ice it's easier, or maybe maverick sounds better?
Old 09-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you don't like That's Enough For Me?
I dislike the song as well. In fact, its the only song on Tusk I don't like at all.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, Stevie is well aware that she wasn't supposed to be in the band. They've talked about that for years and made it the showcase of the current tour, but I don't think Stevie is talking about herself in that quote. I think she calls it an air relationship because she is criticizing the authenticity and depth of Lindsey and CAH's feelings and commitment.

Michele
My thoughts exactly. I think she was discussing CAH and Lindsey in that quote.

Last edited by Dreamz19; 09-14-2013 at 07:58 PM..
Old 09-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I definitely think she is referring to herself. When she speaks of "air relationships," I think she's talking about their astrological signs.