Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2002, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
All the feel-good talk about healing and reconciliation aside, no one can deny that the format of the Dance was nothing mroe than a business-inspired project. Otherwise we might have gotten songs Lindsey prefers, such as Eyes of the World and Gypsy, on the record instead of an anemic version of Dreams and Rhiannon without the raw emotion of the 1980 live album.

From an article that originated on the Music Central website, August 29th, 1997... and which can be found in the Blue Letter Archives.

Quote:
Music Central: Was there a lot of debate about what should and shouldn't be on The Dance?

Stevie: No, it was pretty obvious in a lot of ways. There are a lot of songs that we just knew to do.

Lindsey: There was some debate at the end because we deleted some of the more obvious choices and Warner didn't think that was a very good idea. I had taken off "Go Your Own Way" because I thought people have heard this enough so let's try to do the more interesting or surprising route. We were trying to get a little esoteric. When it came down to doing "Rhiannon" or "Gypsy," we were going to pick "Gypsy," but the label wasn't too happy with that.

If you're a "free-agent" in this business, then you can do whatever you want... release your album anytime you want, and in the exact form you want.
If you're bound to a record company by a contract, then at some point you are going to have to capitulate to their demands.

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
So go on living your fantasy about this band caring about you, if you must. And meanwhile, why don't you go out and buy yourself a fourth copy of Rumours? Oh wait, that IS the greatest hits album they're going to release, only this time with Silver Springs on it.
I harbor no delusions of Fleetwood Mac caring about me. They don't even have a clue as to who I am.
I remain, however, a very loyal fan.
Not because I am a mindless sheep... but because Fleetwood Mac writes, records, and performs the songs that make my existence on this planet that much more enjoyable.

I love a lot of artists, and I have a pretty sizeable CD/vinyl/cassette collection... but I always come back to Fleetwood Mac. No other band interests me, or inspires me, or entertains me to the continuing level that they do.

So yes, I will buy this Greatest Hits album... I'd also buy another copy of 'Rumours' if they re-mastered it and re-released it (it would be my sixth copy, by the way), and I will buy the new album whenever it's finally released.
Even if I'm the only one.

Johnny Stew
Old 06-26-2002, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You won't be the only one Johnny...

Pip
Old 06-26-2002, 04:02 PM
Ledgie

Wink LOL, Stewy!

Quote:
From an article that originated on the Music Central website, August 29th, 1997...
Somebody's gonna have to make a hard-and-fast rule about whether the written word, whether in a magazine or on a web-site, is to be taken as fact or not...if you get my drift!
Old 06-26-2002, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default To everybody concerned...

The following is directed to everybody concerned, and I realise that this point has been repeatedly made by many people in the past 24 hours or so, but seeing as I was initially involved, I'm going to say it:

The only thing that is not an opinion on The Ledge is the FACT that this IS a Fleetwood Mac DISCUSSION board. NOT a Fleetwood Mac "PRAISE" board. Unless you went out of your way to sign up to the biggest FM discussion forum on the web to simply (and only) say negative things about them (which I don't think anybody here is "guilty" of), then chances are you like the band and are a fan. Although there is no such thing as "the world's biggest Fleetwood Mac fan", it is clear that we all like the band to different degrees - it's the essence of being humans and not clones - and that in turn is the essence of a good discussion about ANYTHING.
I fell in love with this band back in 1987, and have only liked them more and more as the years have gone by. On announcement of the news that a "greatest hits" package would be released before a new album, I, for the first time since 1987, had my first ever "negative" feeling about the band. Therefore in the same way that I have always replied to threads that I have had an opinion on, I clicked "reply" and wrote my thoughts: I was not rude to anybody, I did not even suggest anything bad about any member of The Ledge or Fleetwood Mac, I simply gave my opinion on the matter and said why I thought they (being FM) were doing it - I even put a winking emoticon next to it so that just in case on the one in a trillion off-chance that any member of Fleetwood Mac read my post, who are the only people who (if they were having a seriously bad day and they knew for a fact that my opinions were totally incorrect compared with the truth) may have not liked what I had written, would take it "with a pinch of salt".
I was NOT expecting the explosive replies of the first few people who replied. I realise that I was not the only one who made a "negative comment" about the forthcoming Greatest Hits album (and I am "representing" only myself here, I am not speaking for anybody else who wrote anything negative) and therefore I'm sure that I was not being victimised, but even if 1% of those comments were directed towards me, I found that really unfair.
I read threads on The Ledge so that I can "hear" other people's views about all things related to Fleetwood Mac - my favourite band of all time, and the band whose lead guitarist is my favourite musician of all time. Therefore it is unsurprising that 99.999% of my posts are totally positive ones. However, I do NOT visit The Ledge to simply praise Fleetwood Mac NO MATTER WHAT, simply as a "daily ritual". It just so happens that neither the band, nor any of its members, nor anything to do with it, had ever given me a negative feeling. Now yesterday I read a piece of news that for once I didn't like, related to Fleetwood Mac, and gave my thoughts. (And even that piece of news, is really not a big deal...ok so they're going to release another GH album, I personally don't like that idea...but so what? it's just my opinion and is in no way going to affect the course of ANYTHING even vaguely related to Fleetwood Mac, and I am not even suggesting that any other member of The Ledge should share my sentiments in any way.)
I would say that the next time I want to express an even remotely negative opinion on The Ledge, I feel that I shouldn't have to a few hours later write an ESSAY explaining myself to those who don't like my opinion (which is how I felt, whether they meant it or not), but now I am in two minds about ever posting any negative view ever again, if only "pro" views are univerally accepted by Ledgies. The friends and "cyber-friends" that I've made thanks to this site mean a lot to me as it's extremely rare to find anybody by coincidence who shares our love for this band and its people, and therefore I will continue to post. If this wasn't the case, I don't think I would visit this site ever again.
Those of you who "know" me, know to what massive levels I love this band and its people, and that was the first, and last, time that I will ever waste my time verbally proving that fact to anybody on this site.

Last edited by seteca; 06-26-2002 at 07:34 PM..
Old 06-26-2002, 06:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

I like to see both sides of the situation regarding the possible Greatest Hits album as presented by some on this thread. However, if one does not like an opinion shared by another, must they respond?
I began to read another thread on this board about what songs shouldn't be played next tour. In my opinion, some of the suggestions were downright ludicrous! *But*, ladies and gentlemen, I had the decency to keep it to myself and just look at the next response. I didn't feel the need to bash someone's opinion.
-Brian
Old 06-26-2002, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Posted by bjk3047:I didn't feel the need to bash someone's opinion.

So...ummm Brian how do you feel about the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac touring together next year?!

Joe
Old 06-26-2002, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default New Album GH Repeats

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
I never said I was going to "boycott" the GH either, I simply was stating my opinion that I am not happy about the fact that I may get a GH album with a couple "new" songs and then, whenever the fully new album comes out, could very well be buying them again because THEY (notice the intended vagueness on my part again) could include them (same versions and all) on the new CD as well again. I'm simply stating a possibility, I'm not saying I know it will hapopen or anything, just my own personal randon thoughts which as Johnny Stew says, we are all allowed to express here.

John

Do you really think they would rerelease the new songs they put on the new GH on the next new studio album? That would suck! I'm unfamiliar with this marketing strategy - does it happen often? It seems ridiculous to do such a thing!

Old 06-26-2002, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: To everybody concerned...

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca

I even put a winking emoticon next to it so that just in case on the one in a trillion off-chance that any member of Fleetwood Mac read my post, who are the only people who (if they were having a seriously bad day and they knew for a fact that my opinions were totally incorrect compared with the truth) may have not liked what I had written, would take it "with a pinch of salt".

OH PLEASE NO! I hope to death no members of FM read this (luckily, I doubt they are very internet-savvy). Imagine what they would think of us! Then again Mick DOES have his own site (if and when he decides to make it do more than display his picture). And he would no doubt love the ego stroking found on this board most of the time. ;-)

Perhaps I'm projecting my own insecurities onto this board. I have nightmarish visions of Lindsey coming across my own site and being so filled with horror that he sics lawyers on me to "Cease and desist" from my frighteningly obsessive adoration! lol

Old 06-26-2002, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: To everybody concerned...

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
OH PLEASE NO! I hope to death no members of FM read this (luckily, I doubt they are very internet-savvy). Imagine what they would think of us! Then again Mick DOES have his own site (if and when he decides to make it do more than display his picture).
He (or his "Webmaster") put up some drum loops here:

www.mickfleetwood.com/loops.htm

& also here:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/loop_lib...op.asp?PID=702

Apparently, this is his newest business venture in music technology -- he's hocking some drum samples.

Maybe if Mick did visit some of these Fleetwood Mac fan sites, it'd be good for him. It might begin to sink in that the band has seriously minded fans who follow its career the way people follow the careers of some moviemakers or actors -- people who would be interested in more than just drum samples on an unfinished Web site.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, there's a difference between saying the GH cd is a bad idea and saying the band is just money grubbing and making pawns of its fans. There's really only one person saying that...and that's all I have left to say about this matter.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink "Can't we all just get along?" LOL

I know how much seteca and EVERYONE here loves FM or you wouldn't be a Ledgie in the first place! I love hearing people's opinons and I wish we could stop with the bashing. That is why I love reading posts that get people going, but there are pros and cons to it, it sparks conversion (which is what we need in this "dry" FM time!!!) and makes people think, BUT then again, some people can't be grown-ups and debate on a mature level. Bummer. Kinda like politicians, huh? I respect everyone's opinon, if you don't like the GH idea, cool, if you love it, cool. Don't attack, just comment and debate. Hee, that is all, over and out, good buddies.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
Well, there's a difference between saying the GH cd is a bad idea and saying the band is just money grubbing and making pawns of its fans.
You're right, bud... and that's the entire reason why I decided to add my two cents on the matter.
I never said anyone had to like or agree with every single thing the Mac does... nor did I say that only positive, cheery talk about the band was acceptable... I just feel it's unfair to condemn them over something like this.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see them release the new album in late August or early September (right around my birthday would be really cool! ), and then go out on an extensive tour... so that fans all over the world can have the chance to see them again.
Then I'd like to see them go back into the studio in late 2003, perfect the "leftover" songs from the current recording sessions, and release another new album by Christmas of that year.

An elaborate and extensive boxed-set, timed to coincide with their 40th anniversary in 2007 would then make a perfect capper to their career.

But it's simply not going to happen that way. So instead I'll just take whatever comes, and I'll be content with it.
They don't owe me anything. Hell, they've already given me plenty.
And I remember a time when it didnt seem like there would EVER be another Fleetwood Mac record... especially not involving Lindsey and Stevie. So I'm just blown away that the band is recording ANYTHING together at this point.

Again, I say that it's perfectly understandable if someone doesnt want to buy this Greatest Hits album. I wouldn't think anyone was less of a fan if they didn't.
If you already have everything on it, and can't justify the purchase, or if you just plain dont want it... it's no one's business but your own.

But I'm going to buy it. I'll probably even pass up buying an album by someone else, to get it.
And I won't grumble that the band is stealing my money... since it'll be MY choice whether or not to own it.

Then I'll just patiently wait for the new album in 2003.

Johnny Stew
Old 06-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew

You're right, bud... and that's the entire reason why I decided to add my two cents on the matter.
I never said anyone had to like or agree with every single thing the Mac does... nor did I say that only positive, cheery talk about the band was acceptable... I just feel it's unfair to condemn them over something like this.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see them release the new album in late August or early September (right around my birthday would be really cool! ), and then go out on an extensive tour... so that fans all over the world can have the chance to see them again.
Then I'd like to see them go back into the studio in late 2003, perfect the "leftover" songs from the current recording sessions, and release another new album by Christmas of that year.

An elaborate and extensive boxed-set, timed to coincide with their 40th anniversary in 2007 would then make a perfect capper to their career.

But it's simply not going to happen that way. So instead I'll just take whatever comes, and I'll be content with it.
They don't owe me anything. Hell, they've already given me plenty.
And I remember a time when it didnt seem like there would EVER be another Fleetwood Mac record... especially not involving Lindsey and Stevie. So I'm just blown away that the band is recording ANYTHING together at this point.

Again, I say that it's perfectly understandable if someone doesnt want to buy this Greatest Hits album. I wouldn't think anyone was less of a fan if they didn't.
If you already have everything on it, and can't justify the purchase, or if you just plain dont want it... it's no one's business but your own.

But I'm going to buy it. I'll probably even pass up buying an album by someone else, to get it.
And I won't grumble that the band is stealing my money... since it'll be MY choice whether or not to own it.

Then I'll just patiently wait for the new album in 2003.

Johnny Stew
I agree with you both 100% and that's why I felt the need to post also. My point was not whether or not the GH thing is a good or bad idea but that it's just not necessary to condemn the band members by calling them money grubbers, greedy, etc. for something that may or may not even be in their control and at the same time, belittle the rest of us for being loyal and dedicated fans. In fact, I think on a related thread the word "stupid" was even used. That's just not cool.

Positive and negative opinions are what make the forum go 'round. It wouldn't be interesting if we all agreed all the time, now would it? It's just a very small minority that push the envelope a little too far and get a little nasty at times.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default in my perfect world

the tour wil be rather short. I want another Stevie solo tour. I'm sorry, But i want that much more then a FM tour. My concert was one of the cancelled ones, and honestly i still can't sleep some nights because of it. September 12th might have been the only chance i will ever get to see Stevie in top form. If things get delayed too long Stevie's health and abilities could suffer (I really hope not) So the point as it purtains to THIS thread is, why the hell must they take this long. They are in there freaking 50's. They need to do things quicker. If they've got so much material USE IT. But stop being slugs. Yeah I'm talking to you Lindsey. I hope he reads this, not cause i'm mad at him, but because i'm giving constructive advice. If other bands can do this stuff quicker why can't you guys. Again i'm not saying anyhrting negative here. The GH things to me is an excellent idea. if the album MUST be delayed, atleast they're throwing us a bone(even if it's just a doggie biscut)

He Will Burn You Down
Old 06-27-2002, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

SORCERER386 & WILD HEART - I don't know if I am the "one person" being referred to as the one that "still thinks FM are money grubbers (etc.)" but in case it is me, I will state again what I stated in my last "lengthy" post. I DON'T KNOW if it is the band or the record company doing "those things" after reading Johnny Stew's posts, it's obviouis to me that Johnny knows much more about the record business then I do so it probably is the label and not the band BUT I (or, dare I say "we" as a group of fans?) REALLY JUST DON'T KNOW FOR SURE. So rather than point a "direct finger" and either party, I simply used the word "they" which will apply to the correct party whoever it may be once we DO find out for sure when we are 75 years old or whenever it is(!). I admit that I did use the phrase "pawns" but once again I was using the term "they" in that train of thought. I did not use any of the other terms quoted in each of your last posts so that's why I wasn't sure if it was me that was THE person or not. Sorry for all this if it wasn't me and sorry for the miscommunication if it was me. OK?

SODASCOUT - Once again, I don't know for sure, it hasn't happened with any bands that I personally have collected before but I have read some articles by various discographers in magazines like "Goldmine", "Discoveries", "Record collector" etc. that have made such claims about artists I didn't particularly care for at the time so I didn't really "investigate" it further but I'm sure I have heard of it happening in some way and I'll be the first to post about it here if I can remember/find a particular "case". I will say that this kind of 'repitition" thing to me DOES seem like something that a record company would be more likely to do than a band/artist as the band/artist in question would know that they would have to deal with the wrath of the fan's tongues about it (assuming that the band/artist in question do care about what it's fans think about them etc. which I'm sure many do) whereas a record company could probably care less what people on the street think about them so the record company would most likely have no bones about pulling a stunt like that. Also, I was trying to be as clear as I could about saying that I DON'T KNOW if this will happen with them or not, I simply pointed it out that it COULD happen and just how I would personally be dissaponted if this happened that I would have had to have bought the GH as I/we would have to at the time go by the assumption that the songs would not be released anywhere else (as I/we would not know (or it would be highly unlikely that we would know what) the tracklisting for the "new" album at the time of the release of the GH package would be) and it seems this would be dissapointing to you too (going by how you said you thought that would "suck" IF that happened). So I just personally hope it doesn't happen that way that's all I was saying everybody OK?

Also, there was someone earlier (sorry I can't remember who it was off the top of my head) that pointed out the possibility that "it may not be a GH but a B-sides compilation. I personally would LOVE that! However, going by what Ken C. had to say about how WB/Reprise (or I should say record companies in general) seems to feel about that kind of collection in his Penquin Q & A a while back, I don't think that would happen but once again I/we don't know for sure so I'll just end this off by saying what I'm sure we all agree on which is that it would be great if it did! So I guess we'll all just have to hope we are happy with it (whatever it is) when it does come out. Here's hoping!

John