User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
And that is why you have a problem with my interpretation? What I see here happen, is that people work really hard on Sainthood for Mike Campbell and that is just delusial. So I'm entitled to bring a dose of reality here as much as the people who decided to gloss over the facts. And if you don't like it, okay, but the fact that Mr. Campbell himself said the things I copied and pasted remains. And that leads to only 2 possibilities. He is either a crass opportunist or an idiot talking BS in interviews. Chose your pick.

or
c) You've taken quotes from a short, second hand article that's culled snippets from a larger article. That larger article has itself cut down interviews with 5 or 6 different people and merged them into one larger article. Thus the quotes you've taken are far watered down from the original interview and intended sentiment.

He's a good, honest, talented pro who recently lost a top friend. We might not want him as Fleetwood Mac's guitarist but there's no need to make him out to be a bad person.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Aretha has just died.

In the wake of this devastating loss I will refrain from continuing this conversation for now.

Rest in peace, my Queen.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And David Hasselhoff is not ours, we can only hope to burrow him from time to time to make our country better and braver.
“Proving my theory Germans love David Hasselhoff” was an ongoing joke by Norm MacDonald on Saturday Night Live back in the early ‘90s

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
According to his own words, the "teamplayer" Mike Campbell managed to stand next to the dying Tom Petty each night without even realizing his failing health! I wouldn't want someone so unheeding and detached in any team.
Tom needed a hip replacement and was in serious pain but couldn’t get an effective pain killer given his history of heroin addiction. He ultimately died of an overdose. Mike, like everyone else, could see Tom was suffering, but wasn’t qualified to do anything to help (i.e. he’s not a medical professional).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Aretha has just died.

In the wake of this devastating loss I will refrain from continuing this conversation for now.

Rest in peace, my Queen.
It is truly a sad day. What a talented and gifted lady she was.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
It is truly a sad day. What a talented and gifted lady she was.
Very gifted/talented!!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Aretha has just died.

Rest in peace, my Queen.
Whew! For a second, I thought you were going to blame Mike Campbell for her death like you did with Tom Petty.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are in a completely different class than the rest of the listed people.
Different class? Higher class? Lower class? Who's talking about class? In fact, my point was that individual class of musician is largely irrelevant in any consideration of the rightness of "fit" within a band. Did that point soar over your head, Steve?

Quote:
I think it’s too early to tell. And, who said it was going to be another classic lineup? I don’t think anyone, even those of us who are excited about it, believes it could possibly be mentioned in the same breath as the Peter Green or Rumours versions of Fleetwood Mac.
But that absence of potential is precisely what's frustrating a bunch of Rumours fans—they lost a classic grouping (even past its heyday) and got stuck with a . . . federation of more-or-less interesting individuals. Dave Walker was interesting (I love "The Derelict"), Burnette was interesting, Vito was interesting, Sheryl Crow would have been interesting. But these individual ingredients didn't (or wouldn't) capture the imaginations of generations; they'd have left no lasting mark on the culture. The effects of the 1990 Fleetwood Mac have long since dissipated, and the 1994 Fleetwood Mac never reverberated at all. My point is that the current lineup does not have the potential to make any sort of lasting artistic statement because it isn't anything more than a collection of interesting musicians and songwriters, and that's a sad end to the band.

Quote:
Still, it certainly has the potential to be compelling, if not great.
You may find it so. Many others of course don't. I find the current lineup potentially no more compelling than Coldplay. These are subjective matters; you can't issue a ruling on them.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Whew! For a second, I thought you were going to blame Mike Campbell for her death like you did with Tom Petty.
I think your fixation on Mike Campbell goes a little too far.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think your fixation on Mike Campbell goes a little too far.
LOL you say Mike Campbell is to blame for Tom Perry's death, and I'm the one with a fixation?
Old 08-16-2018, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
LOL you say Mike Campbell is to blame for Tom Perry's death, and I'm the one with a fixation?
I love me some Tom Perry! He rocks!
Old 08-16-2018, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
If I'm honest. I've always thought TP and the HB are one of the most boring bands out there. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Crowded House: I don't really have an opinion. ehhhhh (there's my opinion)
I agree. No disrespect to Tom and his talent, he made some great songs but I always thought they were one of the least interesting of the classic bands. Tom's cool, laid back persona and voice is what them appealing if you ask me. Not their actual music.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Different class? Higher class? Lower class? Who's talking about class? In fact, my point was that individual class of musician is largely irrelevant in any consideration of the rightness of "fit" within a band. Did that point soar over your head, Steve?
Yes, but at this stage of the game, I disagree, at least somewhat. Sure, the primary reasons they were brought in is their talents and name recognition to help make up for Lindsey’s absence. However, these guys potentially bring in something else.

There aren’t albums left for this band, so whoever they bring in has to be able to hit the ground running. Lindsey often talks about how Fleetwood Mac lacked any creative leadership during the time between him and Peter Green. I think the same was true between 87-95. While I’m still 50/50 on whether or not there will be new music, IF there is, Finn has been a/the driving force in bands with multiple singers/songwriters and where he primary singer/songwriter, and both he and Campbell have also been producers. They might be able to pull off a great album, even if it’s effectively a one-off.

Quote:
But that absence of potential is precisely what's frustrating a bunch of Rumours fans—they lost a classic grouping (even past its heyday) and got stuck with a . . . federation of more-or-less interesting individuals.
Remember, I agree that it’s ridiculous that this happened. However, they could have completely blown the federation.

Quote:
Dave Walker was interesting (I love "The Derelict"), Burnette was interesting, Vito was interesting, Sheryl Crow would have been interesting. But these individual ingredients didn't (or wouldn't) capture the imaginations of generations; they'd have left no lasting mark on the culture. The effects of the 1990 Fleetwood Mac have long since dissipated, and the 1994 Fleetwood Mac never reverberated at all.
Bramlett, Burnette, Vito, and Walker were glorified side players. Not just in Fleetwood Mac, but throughout their respective careers. Mason was a creative burnout by 1978. Sheryl Crow is a great pop singer with catchy songs, but her music lacks artistic and human depth.

Quote:
My point is that the current lineup does not have the potential to make any sort of lasting artistic statement because it isn't anything more than a collection of interesting musicians and songwriters, and that's a sad end to the band.
I agree that the current lineup does not have the potential to make any sort of lasting artistic statement, but not for your reasoning. There just isn’t time to develop it into something. The clock has run out for that.

Quote:
You may find it so. Many others of course don't. I find the current lineup potentially no more compelling than Coldplay. These are subjective matters; you can't issue a ruling on them.
I DON’T find it compelling, just that it has the potential to be. It hasn’t happened, yet. It’s too soon to pass judgment either way.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-17-2018, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I love me some Tom Perry! He rocks!

via GIPHY

Old 08-17-2018, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Aretha has just died.

Rest in peace, my Queen.

via GIPHY