The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It must be hard on both sides of the table is two fold .

Looking at it with a singers view.

And the producer looks at it as a producer.

I would more let the talent flow with their input and later decide if it would sound good.

With all the years and time and experience she has in the studio she could produce her own albums .She always can have a producer shadowing her as she goes on with her recording if she does not feel comfortable by herself.Also she has Waddy there to help too.He probably has clocked more hours in the studio then Stevie and FM has.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Must be David Foster

If David this David that, I choose David Foster
Old 12-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by galestreet View Post
If David this David that, I choose David Foster
didn't she say once upon a time that she'd like to do a record with him??
Old 12-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Ledgie

I really like the arrangements of "24KG", but I have some problems with the vocal production. Although the overall sound of these songs has this kind of "live"-atmosphere, her different vocal takes extremely differ in quality and it's especially when one line has a crisp vocal and the next line sounds muffled and compressed.

I was actually surprised that something like this can happen in 2014. I mean, apart from dynamics and analog vs. digital stuff, I've rarely come across a recording where different vocal takes were THAT obvious.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As mention while back.I have not heard any strange sounds on the 24K album as reported.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 05-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've just been listening to YCFT and kept telling my patient and slightly amused hubbie how great it would be if Stevie did a whole album with the likes of Dave Grohl or Billy Corgan. I still think it's amazing how many grunge and/or rock artist in the 90s paid tribute to Stevie and helped raising her profile again (in conjunction with 'The Dance', of course). I'm also thinking of people like Sheryl and Courtney. Anyway, maybe I'm just nostalgic, but at the time I was so happy to read music magazine that published interviews with 'hot' and 'credible' artists that praised Stevie's songwriting talents and her influence on rock music.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I've been listening to 24karat Gold a lot lately, and I kinda forgot about You Can't Fix This. Then it came up in the shuffle on my iTunes today. I was really taken aback by the difference in the quality of the sound of compared to any of the tracks on 24k. Night and day to my ears. None of the digital muckery on 24k can hold a candle to that analog sound on YCFT. Her vocals are really warm, there's none of that "spitty" or slurry distortion that riddles her vocals on 24k, and the vocal edits are not glaringly obvious like on 24k. The bass is warm and fat... I could go on but you get my point.

The song itself goes on waaay too long, but then so do nearly all the songs on 24k.

I think Grohl really channeled the vibe of old-school Stevie, down to the reverb on her vocals (though far, far, far less than say Bella Donna, etc). But Dave Stewart uses none and that, combined with the flat sound of the compressed digital files really doesn't do her justice. (And that weird digital 'bass' sound on the beginning of Belle Fleur that makes me think of that "Oh yeah" song in Ferris Bueller's Day Off...don't get me started.)

Does anyone else feel this way?
No. Dave Stewart makes Stevie songs work. You Can't Fix This has great production but ultimately doesn't work, mostly due to her bad lyrics.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I've been listening to 24karat Gold a lot lately, and I kinda forgot about You Can't Fix This. Then it came up in the shuffle on my iTunes today. I was really taken aback by the difference in the quality of the sound of compared to any of the tracks on 24k. Night and day to my ears. None of the digital muckery on 24k can hold a candle to that analog sound on YCFT. Her vocals are really warm, there's none of that "spitty" or slurry distortion that riddles her vocals on 24k, and the vocal edits are not glaringly obvious like on 24k. The bass is warm and fat... I could go on but you get my point.

The song itself goes on waaay too long, but then so do nearly all the songs on 24k.

I think Grohl really channeled the vibe of old-school Stevie, down to the reverb on her vocals (though far, far, far less than say Bella Donna, etc). But Dave Stewart uses none and that, combined with the flat sound of the compressed digital files really doesn't do her justice. (And that weird digital 'bass' sound on the beginning of Belle Fleur that makes me think of that "Oh yeah" song in Ferris Bueller's Day Off...don't get me started.)

Does anyone else feel this way?
I liked both. But grohl only did one song. So it's hard to judge.

Stewart made IYD so polished. A pop album. Then he turned around and made 24 kg the opposite. It's raw and very under produced. A nice change of pace. Kind of like rumours to Tusk but not as dramatic. Your not really hearing distortions or computerized touch ups. What your hearing is a lack of those. Don't you know that? Where have you been?

I really like how you can hear her take a breath before she starts singing Belle Fluer. 24 kg is kind of like a live album.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
No. Dave Stewart makes Stevie songs work. You Can't Fix This has great production but ultimately doesn't work, mostly due to her bad lyrics.
you CANNOT blame Grohl for that.
imagine Grohl producing 24K
hell, let him have a crack at 2.0
and then we can discuss this properly