The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Edge Of Seveteen vs Stand Back - Which do you prefer?
Edge Of Seventeen 36 70.59%
Stand Back 15 29.41%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Ledgie

Default Edge Of Seventeen vs Stand Back

For the majority of Stevie Nicks fans, I'd say these two songs are in the Top 5 (or in my case, the Top 2.)

Since they are both really high regarded in the community, I'd like to see which one is preferred. I'm sure the difference will be marginally different, because I know these two are the most universally liked Stevie Nicks songs.

For me, Stand Back just edges it. The song is irresistible, the 2 awful yet brilliant music videos, the mammoth performances of it live. It's just perfect. Edge of Seventeen is my 2nd favourite Stevie Nicks song, and is still an 11/10. But Stand Back just edges it.

What is your opinion?
Old 05-20-2015, 04:09 PM

Live: Stand Back hands down
Studio: Edge Of Seventeen forever
Old 05-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I voted for Edge but I have fond memories of Stand Back. I remember Stand Back on the Friday Night Videos on ABC and the video went up against 38 special (I think). I used to listen to the American top 40 every week to chart its success finally peaking at #5 in August of 1983. It was the hot summer of love and the Wild Heart. Stand Back was on every rock station and top 40 station. It was even on HBO's monthly video show.
But Edge of 17 has epic lyrics and like it better lyrically
Old 05-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

I love Stand Back, especially some of those live performances (SNL'83, Today '05), but EO17 is like going on an adventure...
Old 05-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ironically, I've never been too keen on the songs that the record company has chosen to promote for her singles. I've always been more partial to the "deep cuts" (How Still My Love, Sable On Blonde, Rock A Little, Ooh My Love, etc, etc).

Obviously Edge and Stand Back are her two most well known solo songs...especially for the casual fan or music aficionado...and that has always kind of bothered me. If she never performed these two songs live ever again I wouldn't shed a tear.

Please don't stone me or take away my fan club membership card!!!

BUT...If I had to pick one, I guess I enjoy "Edge" a little bit more. It's got the great hook and that badass "wail" she does after the bridge. It also takes me back to Kindergarten. I have vivid memories of always hearing this on the radio on the way to school back in '81.

"Stand Back", honestly, has never done much for me. It's a sub par song that was released with a sub par video. I honestly wish they would've just released the "Scarlet" version instead. At the very least, it makes the whole "Stand Back" experience entertaining.

As always, just my humble opinion...
Old 05-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Ironically, I've never been too keen on the songs that the record company has chosen to promote for her singles. I've always been more partial to the "deep cuts" (How Still My Love, Sable On Blonde, Rock A Little, Ooh My Love, etc, etc).

Obviously Edge and Stand Back are her two most well known solo songs...especially for the casual fan or music aficionado...and that has always kind of bothered me. If she never performed these two songs live ever again I wouldn't shed a tear.

BUT...If I had to pick one, I guess I enjoy "Edge" a little bit more...

"Stand Back", honestly, has never done much for me. It's a sub par song...
I agree with every last bit of this, especially the part I bolded. I definitely wouldn't put either Stand Back or Edge in my top 5. To me, neither one are really indicative of who Stevie is as an artist. Those were songs carefully hammered into a specific form by men to make her 'rock radio palatable.'

If I had to chose between the two I'd chose Edge, though. The lyrics are a bit more introspective, and the lack of synthesizers is a good thing.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

just can't decide which one, love both!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The live version of Edge from Soundstage is a masterpiece.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I much prefer Edge of Seventeen. This song has amazing imagery and really tells a story IMO. For me, it's one of Stevie's masterpieces, no matter how many times I may get tired of hearing it. I can't say the same thing about Stand Back though - it's a good song, and I like it, but overplaying HAS ruined that one for me... plus I'm not as fond of the lyrics or music.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What's sad about the live version of "Edge" is that Stevie no longer sings the full song. The bridge ("The clouds never expect....") is the best part! I wouldn't mind hearing one or two fewer songs in the set if it would help her voice get through the set and allow her to do "Edge" in its full glory.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Ledgie

"Edge" goes on forever. Was the single version edited or full-length? I'm not sure. But, for me, this song grows tedious. Maybe I've just heard it too many times.

I'm gonna vote for "Stand Back" for the touch of Prince. It probably shouldn't work. The lyrics are strange, to say the least. She's in full-on goat mode vocally. But somehow the team pulls it off.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post

BUT...If I had to pick one, I guess I enjoy "Edge" a little bit more. It's got the great hook and that badass "wail" she does after the bridge. It also takes me back to Kindergarten. I have vivid memories of always hearing this on the radio on the way to school back in '81.

"Stand Back", honestly, has never done much for me. It's a sub par song that was released with a sub par video. I honestly wish they would've just released the "Scarlet" version instead. At the very least, it makes the whole "Stand Back" experience entertaining.

As always, just my humble opinion...
My feelings exactly on the bolded. You can also add Landslide to the list. I like all three songs, but I wouldn't put them in my top 20 of Stevie songs. I prefer the lesser known solo songs.

Anyway, I voted for Edge just for the lyrics and guitar riff.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I agree with Spy Note..

about the forgotten bridge.. but Edge of Seventeen has my vote as I'm in love with the version from "Crystal Visions".. "somewhere deep in the middle of the night, I think about you..." this is why I love Stevie Nicks.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She did do the bridge on many stops on her last solo tour in 2012. I know for a fact she sang it in Niagara Falls in July 2012, and it included the best wail I've heard her do at least in person.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 05-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I too mostly prefer Stevie's solo deep cuts to her solo radio hits, but the exception are these two songs, which are also great expansions of her songcraft that rival her classic FM songwriting.
I'm old enough to remember these songs being unleashed to the public via popular radio. "Edge" stood out above anything being played at the time. It was urgent, catchy, idiosyncratic, but unmistakably Stevie Nicks. "Stand Back" was a nice change-up musically (which could of been considered a risk at the time) but it added a stylish element of surprise to Stevie's already mysterious & eclectic mystique. Stand Back was one of the best singles released the summer of '83, period! But if I had to choose between the two "Edge" easily gets the nod. It's just epic in so many ways. Those evocative lyrics. Stevie's intense and flawless vocals. Lori & Sharon provide their most haunting & effective background vocals of their career on this track ("All The Beautiful Worlds" is a close second ) And of course, that iconic Waddy riff - who cares if it's slight modification of The Police track "Bring On The Night." The inspiration for what became the guitar riff used on "Edge Of Seventeen" is far more effective on Stevie's composition.
Both great songs. Top tier Stevie compostions that rival her best both solo and with Fleetwood Mac.