The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-25-2002, 11:56 PM

Default "Murrow" a single?

Okay, I'm going to make some assumptions here, and I hope at least a few Ledgies will work with me on this.

First let's assume "Murrow" makes it onto the new album. Next, let's assume that people actually "get" what Lindsey's saying in this song (which was the subject of a spirited thread here a few months ago).

Now, I admit this would require that listeners have some knowledge of history, current events, the media, government subterfuge and just an awareness that all is not what it seems in SUV-Land (North America). Sort of a Sixties fantasy. But I'm willing to give the CD-buying and radio-listening public the benefit of the doubt.

I've been enjoying the song tonight, and some things have come to me. For one, it's really a catchy tune with some nifty and even in-your-face guitar. Second, despite the fact that it was written years ago, it's incredibly timely considering the events of the past year or so. Third, in my opinion it represents a real "coming of age" for Lindsey--it's one of his more (if not most) political songs, outside the realm of the self-absorbed subject matters of love gained, love lost, depression, angst and so on.

Could this possibly be a successful and even powerful single from the new album? Or am I dreaming?

I'd love to hear some other opinions on this. Anyone care to take a shot?
Old 10-26-2002, 05:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well some posters reckon that Murrow will be Peacekeeper on the new album.

And we have also heard that Peacekeeper will be the first track released to radio!!

Of course there is no confirmation of this.............just rumours

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 10-26-2002, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Murrow's searing lyrics are only less powerful then the searing outro.

That guitar scorches!!!!!

First single though - seems kinds strange. I think (pff as if I know!) we'll find that if Murrow is Peacekeeper, the new song will be done a little differently?? More radio-friendly?

Otherwise I'd prefer Hit & Run (Shuffle Riff), the peerles Down On Rodeo, or Thrown Down ... of the songs I know. Like Murrow, Come might be a bit hard for first single as to throw off old skool Mac listeners.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:55 AM
joe

can someone hook me up with this "Murrow"/"Peacekeeper"???

Please help!
Old 10-26-2002, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I dunno if "Murrow" is a good choice for first single. I think the first single should be something a little more smoother, to capture listeners into buying the album. Also, the first single should be one where both Stevie & Linfsey chare vocals.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hit & Run?? what? where? who, how?? is that the Kingston trio song you're talking about? make this girl happy
Old 10-26-2002, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by nodmod
Well some posters reckon that Murrow will be Peacekeeper on the new album.
Those are two different songs.

I keep having nightmares that the Fleetwood Mac singles will sound as blandly machine-tooled & big-business-calculated as the Santana/Michelle Branch song (I'm not sure I've ever heard a song with a guitar god with quite so many edges smoothed out or so many bumps flattened into palatability). The first single should be a weird one, like "Tusk." The music climate out there is pretty weird. What radio listeners couldn't quite understand or stomach 20 years ago they could definitely stomach today. I doubt that the Mac album contains anything as weird as recent stuff from No Doubt or Snot or System of a Down.

IMO!!!!!
Old 10-26-2002, 10:41 AM

Default Murrow/Peacekeeper? Cool

Hey, Nodmod--I hadn't heard the Murrow/Peacekeeper rumor. That would be cool. And so timely.

Now, I don't know if Murrow (or whatever it will be) should be the FIRST single. As DownonRodeo suggested, Murrow might be off-putting to long-time Mac fans that haven't kept up with Lindsey's latest stuff.

Also, as Bluegrass noted (and I really agree), the first single should be one where Stevie and Lindsey share vocals. But who's to say the new arrangement doesn't do this?

Anyway, good comments everyone.

As for Joe wanting a copy of Murrow, drop me a note through the personal messaging. Perhaps I can get it to you.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

I am still convinced that David is Lindsey!
Old 10-26-2002, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: "Murrow" a single?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rainman
...Third, in my opinion it represents a real "coming of age" for Lindsey--it's one of his more (if not most) political songs, outside the realm of the self-absorbed subject matters of love gained, love lost, depression, angst and so on.....
Absolutely agree with you there. How many Mac songs are there which aren't in some form or another about "love"?

I can't think of ANY off the top of my head.......this would be a great change.

I really hope it makes it onto the album, but I think for it to be released as a single it's gonna need some changes...I'm not sure what though.

Also, your point about most people not understanding the song is unfortunately very true.....we live in a world dominated by sheep.....oh well.

Old 10-26-2002, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink To the slaughter we go!! LOL

Baaaaa

I love Murrow, it's wierd, quirky and unique...like...ME! LOL It DOES need to be cleaned up because it's hard to understand some of the lyrics. The solo kicks BOOT-AY tho!!

I would DIE if Red Rover were on the album too because it's tied with Come for fave GOS song...and with some cleaning up, it too could be added to my list of FAVE FM/LINDSEY songs!! Not that it isn't already, I just mean, for real...since it's just a demo I have...LOL
Old 10-27-2002, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David

Those are two different songs.
Come on David - what do you know that we don't??? Pleease? lol

Yeah after relistening to Murrow a few times I can hear it musically as a single, especially if reworked somewhat.

I recently had a thought that Down On Rodeo could be the opening track of the album??
Old 10-27-2002, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Down On Rodeo" as an album opener sounds interesting. "Twist of Fate" would definitley be a good album ender though.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Murrow as Peacekeeper? Doubtful

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo

Come on David - what do you know that we don't??? Pleease? lol

Yeah after relistening to Murrow a few times I can hear it musically as a single, especially if reworked somewhat.
Well, I personally am not "in the know" but I think it'd be a pretty safe bet that "Murrow" is not "Peacekeeper." First off, Murrow has nothing to do with keeping peace. Unless that's an ironic title, but I think that's a real stretch. So much so, in fact, I'm wondering how that rumor even got started.

It's more likely that Lindsey's song from the footage where he talks about "healing the wounds" is "Peacekeeper" - however, it's just as likely (perhaps more so) that we haven't heard "Peacekeeper" at all. Regardless, it's pretty safe to say that it's NOT "Murrow."

Heck, "Murrow" might not even be on the album at all for all we know, much less the first single! Again, I'm not some music biz expert, but I know enough to know that "Murrow" as the first single would be a bad idea. It's too different. I mean, there's clips of news programs buried in there and it starts off with his voice all eerie sounding. It doesn't really get rocking until the chorus (in my opinion).

Of course, being a lover of "I'm So Afraid," the take off on it that's the ending guitar solo appeals to me, but I think I heard somewhere that really long guitar endings aren't good for singles. Now, don't get me wrong, I like it well enough. However, it wouldn't be what I'd highlight to sell an album.

Last edited by sodascouts; 10-27-2002 at 03:35 PM..
Old 10-27-2002, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

To hopefully clear up some confusion...
to the best of my knowledge, "Peacekeeper" has circulated amongst Reprise execs (and undoubtedly amongst a few lucky fans, as well), on a sampler CD, and is definitely not an alternate title to, or even a re-working of, "Murrow."
It's a completely different song.

Before anyone asks, I haven't heard it.

Johnny Stew