User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Why would Stevie be the " "b*tch" that didn't come back." What a double standard some fans hold Stevie to. Was Lindsey considered the "b*itch" when he suddenly quit spitefully (some would consider his exit "burning bridges") only to come back to the band 9 years later.
He did not quit spitefully. He quit after completing an entire album for the band. But yes, he was disparaged for leaving. Disparaged by some of the band members even.

Michele
Old 11-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
I also agree with you that definitely would be a double standard if Stevie left the band. She would probably get a lot more backlash.
How so?

There WAS backlash against Lindsey in 1987.

Christine's departure didn't just happen in 1998. She quit touring after 1990 and made it clear she was done on the "Time" album. The point being that Christine was clearly in the process of leaving the industry altogether, not just the band, in 1998. She only did a solo album in 2004 because her nephew initiated the project, and even then she did almost nothing to promote it.

Quote:
I don't believe Stevie should be crucified at all, but unfortunately she probably would be.
It depends entirely on how she handles it. If she does it in a way that is respectful to the band and the split is as amicable as possible, then she won't be crucified. If it becomes a mini-soap opera, then she'll probably get crucified.

If that is in fact the case.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
It was sarcasm.
I wouldn't know sarcasm if it had big teeth and bit me in the @$$
Old 11-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
in retrospect it would have been better to not have booked this tour right away…
I think the tour was ill-conceived, but I don't think it was an either/or proposition. If there had been no tour, Stevie probably still wouldn't have wanted to do an album. It's the process of making an album that she doesn't seem to like, not the time. It's not like it would be as easy to spend one year making an album with FM as it is to spend one year touring. Not to her.

Michele
Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1980 View Post
I admire her for being honest about not being on board for a new record and not knowing if she ever will be, instead of giving promises and do things that perhaps she knows will not make her happy and do it just out of duty and not with her heart in the right place.
But beyond a band, it's a business, and if this is the case, she's holding up the business, and now there's an urgency to get an album out.

Quote:
She commited to a new, quite extensive tour with FM right after getting back from a huge tour - jumping on a new tour that NEVER would have happened if it weren't for Christine returning. So even if it has been Stevie's dream to have Chris back why should she feel obliged to commit to everything that the rest of them wants just because Chris is back???
Because she basically intimated that she would since about 2009.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-13-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
But beyond a band, it's a business, and if this is the case, she's holding up the business, and now there's an urgency to get an album out.

Because she basically intimated that she would since about 2009.
Yes, those were her words. lol
Old 11-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
2. Can they not just go in the studio and get a record done in 2 months? They have a large percentage of it done already.
They could be done even sooner if they wanted.

Quote:
3. Could it be that Stevie doesn't have any new songs
Even if that's the case, why not find 3 or 4 appropriate covers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
The band should just give her an ultimatum at the end of the tour: You're in or you're out, but we are going ahead with an album. I'll bet she get in the studio in a hurry then.
Or it could further alienate her, and cause whatever (if any) riff to widen. That could seal her fate with the band, something I'm sure keeps Mick awake.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-13-2014, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Yes, those were her words. lol
The thing is, she's not keeping FM from doing an album. They are stupid for waiting for her. It's been clear to me that she didn't want to do an album since March and she obviously told the band that before March.

They knew she wouldn't agree to an album. They knew she wasn't being silent about her plans because she assumed everyone knew she was on board or because she was shy and quiet by nature and doesn't like to talk about herself.

There's been a stand off and they should have just gone ahead and recorded an album. What are they waiting for? Either she wouldn't have been on the album or it would be one of those "leave them alone and they'll come home, wagging their tails behind them" kind of deals and she would have joined them at the last minute. But them doing nothing was and is unacceptable. You don't sit around and wait indefinitely when you are seventy years old.

Stevie has said they thought that Christine would change her mind about leaving and that they actually put off SYW for awhile hoping that would be the case. Well, it didn't happen then and there's no room for a similar delay 10 years later, hoping Stevie will change her mind now. They should put out an album and if she wants to record with them in 2017, then that could be the band's swan song, all 5 together. But the idea that if there's no Stevie there's no album right now is outrageous.

Obviously, I wouldn't expect them to tour without her, because they need her for money. But that's not the case with an album. Indeed, her not being on the album would give them something different to talk about in interviews promoting the thing and, for good or bad, could be a focus of the record reviews.

The new thing Mick has been saying about Lindsey releasing a solo album is maddening. Christine and Lindseys' songs need to be released. Together.

Michele
Old 11-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a theory (and this is JUST my OPINION) but...

Stevie rushed to record and release 24KG before rehearsals to fulfill her final obligation with Warner Brothers. She's made it clear in interviews recently that she wants to be able to record more albums.

Fleetwood Mac does not have a contract with Warner Brothers anymore.

Could it be that she's holding out on telling the band she'll record a new album with them as a "negotiation tactic" with Warners?

Like, if this current tour ends, and Warner Brothers comes courting the band members with a new contract, could it be that Stevie is waiting to tell Warner Brothers, "Yes I will record a new album with Fleetwood Mac, but my terms in doing that requires a new contract with you for my future solo endeavors."

Warners knows a new Fleetwood Mac album WITHOUT Stevie wouldn't sell quite as much as it would WITH her on board. So maybe that's what her thinking is right now?

It's like she knows damn well she wants to record a new album with the Mac (and will), yet she's holding all her cards close and keeping quiet before "renegotiating" with Warner Brothers.

And like I said, just my opinion.

P.S. Oh, and I also agree that this current "cash grab" tour was a HUGE MISTAKE as well!

Last edited by sorcerer999; 11-13-2014 at 02:28 PM..
Old 11-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Let's face it...

If the priority of all members was to do an album, to be creatively active, we would have had an album a long time ago. Lindsey could have very well said to the band that he would not tour if there was no new material. As much as he continues to discuss new songs, he has seemed more than willing to just go and tour the hits (keep in mind, this is the THIRD tour in a row without any new album - the EP hardly qualifies). This is a band that seemed to lose the spark of working in the studio together a long time ago. Yes, Lindsey and Christine have been producing new music and they do seem very happy with how it has been going. However, at the end of the day it seems like a side note to all of the band. Fleetwood Mac will continue to be a greatest hits touring act until they call it a day. I think we will be lucky to get some solo work, but as a band they fully realize that the money is in the touring, and touring behind songs from their heyday (it is quite something to think that the most recent songs featured in the On With The Show tour were written in 1986/1987!).

Don't get me wrong, they still do put on one hell of a rock show. However, from an artistic standpoint, they seem to have lost whatever it is that drove them to write all of the incredible material from their previous studio work (I would argue that they lost it after Tusk, despite some stellar individual tracks from the 80s).

Old 11-13-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The thing is, she's not keeping FM from doing an album. They are stupid for waiting for her. It's been clear to me that she didn't want to do an album since March and she obviously told the band that before March.

They knew she wouldn't agree to an album. They knew she wasn't being silent about her plans because she assumed everyone knew she was on board or because she was shy and quiet by nature and doesn't like to talk about herself.

There's been a stand off and they should have just gone ahead and recorded an album. What are they waiting for? Either she wouldn't have been on the album or it would be one of those "leave them alone and they'll come home, wagging their tails behind them" kind of deals and she would have joined them at the last minute. But them doing nothing was and is unacceptable. You don't sit around and wait indefinitely when you are seventy years old.

Stevie has said they thought that Christine would change her mind about leaving and that they actually put off SYW for awhile hoping that would be the case. Well, it didn't happen then and there's no room for a similar delay 10 years later, hoping Stevie will change her mind now. They should put out an album and if she wants to record with them in 2017, then that could be the band's swan song, all 5 together. But the idea that if there's no Stevie there's no album right now is outrageous.

Obviously, I wouldn't expect them to tour without her, because they need her for money. But that's not the case with an album. Indeed, her not being on the album would give them something different to talk about in interviews promoting the thing and, for good or bad, could be a focus of the record reviews.

The new thing Mick has been saying about Lindsey releasing a solo album is maddening. Christine and Lindseys' songs need to be released. Together.

Michele
How about two solo albums from Chris and Lindsey. Tour as a double bill. Special guests Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Rick Vito...

They both have many albums to choose from in their set lists.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
How about two solo albums from Chris and Lindsey. Tour as a double bill. Special guests Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Rick Vito...

They both have many albums to choose from in their set lists.
...what would be the point in solo albums when they could make a great one together and sell at least 5 times as many as two solo ones combined? As has been mentioned, the fuss caused by no Stevie would drum up interest.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Could it be that she's holding out on telling the band she'll record a new album with them as a "negotiation tactic" with Warners?

Like, if this current tour ends, and Warner Brothers comes courting the band members with a new contract, could it be that Stevie is waiting to tell Warner Brothers, "Yes I will record a new album with Fleetwood Mac, but my terms in doing that requires a new contract with you for my future solo endeavors."
I have been saying that her reluctance to say anything was more a political thing for a while. 24KG screams contractual obligation rush job, and her silence is a way to keep her focus in interviews on the promotion of an album she's not touring behind, so as not to alienate the label that has invested in the album (and the label the band's catalog has been on since 1969).

THIS, however, is an angle I hadn't considered. I think you may be on to something.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
They can't tour and make records as far as she sees it.....they made the decision to tour first, so the Album will have to wait.
Obviously, she doesn't remember recording Rumours and going on the road during breaks in recording sessions. And, the rest of the band obviously has forgotten that they used to "try out" new songs live before tightening them up in the studio (GYOW, YMLF & SotM come to mind right away in that regard).

Lately, I think they've just gotten really full of s**t when it comes to how they run things. They sure know how to ruin the good vibes of Christine's return.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
...what would be the point in solo albums when they could make a great one together and sell at least 5 times as many as two solo ones combined? As has been mentioned, the fuss caused by no Stevie would drum up interest.
Right. Make no mistake, the album is not going to sell big, no matter what. But it would sell a lot more and get more publicity, released as an FM album.

Michele