User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
There are a few instances in recordings of the Rumours lineup of Mac that we get a perfect balanced three part harmony from Buckingham Nicks and McVie. "Love In Store" is one of them and I love the beautiful harmony on the chorus ("Honey Hi" is another fine example of the shared harmony).

I've always considered "Mirage" to be one of THE MAC's finest underappreciated gems. I love the record and parts of it age very well, like a fine wine.
Mirage is by the far the band's most underrated album. I, too, love all the vocal harmonies, as well as what I think of as the "music box" melodic feel to so many of the songs. Where Rumours is rock, Mirage is pure prettiness. And I agree that "Love in Store" is an amazing song.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Mirage is by the far the band's most underrated album. I, too, love all the vocal harmonies, as well as what I think of as the "music box" melodic feel to so many of the songs. Where Rumours is rock, Mirage is pure prettiness. And I agree that "Love in Store" is an amazing song.
KenB, you have described "Mirage" in such an ELOQUENT manner. I have been engaged "in a timeless search" to find a way to describe "Mirage" and I think your words "MUSIC BOX" are the PERFECT label. The record is just that, a "music box" and "pure prettiness". It's held up so well and stood the test of time. I can play "That's Alright", "Book of Love" and "Only Over You" on surround sound and it's PURE MAGIC 32 years later. For the life of me, I don't understand WHY this album is not listed as one of the greats.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, lot of us agree with the idea that Mirage is one of the most underrated works of FM, from the whole history of the band. And its songs too, obviously.

Personally, I really like every song from this album, and Love In Store is one of my favourites. And if you listen to the demos, you'll see how many changes had the song before the final version. Chris' voice, Lindsey's backing vocals, and the vocals of Stevie (in the last moments?). It's really amazing to hear them singing together, and the work of Buckingham/Nicks really gives to the song a special touch.
What never changed, were drums and bass. Lindsey added acoustic guitars in the definitive version, so instrumentally, it's simply amazing.

And about the album, yes, I really don't like to see that it's definitely "not so popular". It's just the change between the last pieces of rock from the 70s to the synth-pop-rock-you know from the last years of the 80s. Mirage sounds really good, even when was not remastered properly yet. The songs are so underrated, I'm not telling nothing new!
Regards,
Mark.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
KenB, you have described "Mirage" in such an ELOQUENT manner. I have been engaged "in a timeless search" to find a way to describe "Mirage" and I think your words "MUSIC BOX" are the PERFECT label. The record is just that, a "music box" and "pure prettiness". It's held up so well and stood the test of time. I can play "That's Alright", "Book of Love" and "Only Over You" on surround sound and it's PURE MAGIC 32 years later. For the life of me, I don't understand WHY this album is not listed as one of the greats.

Well, thank you for the compliment. I guess my 15-plus years as a music writer were good for something, at least! (Unfortunately, I'm not currently employed in that field, so if won't be writing any reviews of the upcoming Mac tour.)
Old 08-15-2014, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always been fond of "Love In Store" for all the reasons mentioned here, but ultimately, I do find it a little on the bland side. It does seem somewhat contrived to me, in terms of attempting to recapture the three-part harmonies and band cohesion of Rumours after the (relatively) commercial failure of Tusk. I agree with another poster that the live version is superior.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Love In Store" is one of those pure Fleetwood Mac songs. It's up there with "The Chain". It showcases how well the band gelled together and worked so well together, with every member being showcased.

I'm in agreement about "Mirage" being under-rated. It was quite a safe record, but that's not a bad thing. It's still a great record. And production wise, I think it's the least dated of the big 5. "Gypsy" or "Hold Me" could easilly be a modern hit.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 AM
McLamb
This message has been deleted by McLamb.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
There are a few instances in recordings of the Rumours lineup of Mac that we get a perfect balanced three part harmony from Buckingham Nicks and McVie. "Love In Store" is one of them and I love the beautiful harmony on the chorus ("Honey Hi" is another fine example of the shared harmony).

I've always considered "Mirage" to be one of THE MAC's finest underappreciated gems. I love the record and parts of it age very well, like a fine wine. Tracks like "That's Alright", "Only Over You", "Wish You Were Here", "Love In Store" and "Gypsy" have stood the test of time and still sound great 30 years later. The same CANNOT be said about later efforts such as "Tango" and "Behind the Mask"--those records sound very DATED to me.
I disagree a bit. "In The Back Of My Mind" could find its way on the country charts today. The same with "Stand On The Rock" and "When It Comes To Love." "Save Me," "Skies The Limit," and the other tunes would have the difficulty. "Freedom" could find its way out too as it sounds like another modern-day country song.

Hahaha, I think if BTM had been steered more toward the country charts (a la Taylor Swift going toward the pop ones,) it probably would've been more successful. (Note: I do not like Taylor Swift.)