The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamMcConville View Post
Mirage Era - Live In Oakland, CA - 10.20.1982
I would like to dedicate this song, to Bill Graham, because he IS the velvet underground, he started us all...Its called Landslide.
I can still remember her saying this, 25 years later. And she praised Bill Graham at her RAL show because he had just open the Shoreline Amphitheater. Graham also introduced her at her WH Oakland show and the SF Chronicle review said it was because she came on so late that he felt he needed to apologize to the fans directly.

When I was about 16, I wrote to Bill Graham and complained about high ticket prices (they were probably $15 or something). He wrote a personal note and send me a gift certificate for tix.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In Carol Ann's book she says that Stevie dedicated it to her during the Tusk tour. I don't think she mentioned exactly when and where.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt View Post
I can still remember her saying this, 25 years later. And she praised Bill Graham at her RAL show because he had just open the Shoreline Amphitheater. Graham also introduced her at her WH Oakland show and the SF Chronicle review said it was because she came on so late that he felt he needed to apologize to the fans directly.

When I was about 16, I wrote to Bill Graham and complained about high ticket prices (they were probably $15 or something). He wrote a personal note and send me a gift certificate for tix.
The Shorline Ampitheater was created specifically for the US Festivals wasn't it? Or am I mistaken?

And Bill Graham, honestly, is my idol. I'm going to school to become an educator, but my dream job is to be a Concert Promoter. How he basically started the music administration business is incredible. Do you still have the note?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamz19 View Post
In Carol Ann's book she says that Stevie dedicated it to her during the Tusk tour. I don't think she mentioned exactly when and where.
Yeah, that part is a little hazy. CAH talks about the three Melbourne shows, the first being where Lindsey laid on the ground for three songs straight, taking the spotlight away from Stevie during Rhiannon and then mocking her during Sisters of the Moon by pulling his jacket over his head and following her around all over the stage. According to her the second night was a regular night and the third night, which would be the 3rd of March, was the show where Stevie missed World Turning because she was busy attacking CAH at the side of the stage and screaming at her that she hated CAH being with Lindsey and that she would never allow her to marry Lindsey because CAH was evil, evil, evil.

Then she says that the next morning she told Lindsey about what happened and that he got mad and went over to Stevie's hotel room to sort things out. They left for Brisbane that same day and according to her the show was that same night, which would make it the 4th of March. She said she wasn't looking forward to it, because she was afraid Stevie now had it in for her. Apparantly Stevie apologized and thought she got hives because of what she did and she dedicated Landslide to CAH that night. But the next show was really on March 7, not the 4th.

So, who knows? She might have all made it up and nothing happened, or she forgot a few details, like how they had 3 days off in between, not a new show immediately after. If Stevie really did dedicate Landslide to her, that would then have been the March 7, 1980 show in Brisbane.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
That's awesome.

Yeah, that part is a little hazy. CAH talks about the three Melbourne shows, the first being where Lindsey laid on the ground for three songs straight, taking the spotlight away from Stevie during Rhiannon and then mocking her during Sisters of the Moon by pulling his jacket over his head and following her around all over the stage. According to her the second night was a regular night and the third night, which would be the 3rd of March, was the show where Stevie missed World Turning because she was busy attacking CAH at the side of the stage and screaming at her that she hated CAH being with Lindsey and that she would never allow her to marry Lindsey because CAH was evil, evil, evil.

Then she says that the next morning she told Lindsey about what happened and that he got mad and went over to Stevie's hotel room to sort things out. They left for Brisbane that same day and according to her the show was that same night, which would make it the 4th of March. She said she wasn't looking forward to it, because she was afraid Stevie now had it in for her. Apparantly Stevie apologized and thought she got hives because of what she did and she dedicated Landslide to CAH that night. But the next show was really on March 7, not the 4th.

So, who knows? She might have all made it up and nothing happened, or she forgot a few details, like how they had 3 days off in between, not a new show immediately after. If Stevie really did dedicate Landslide to her, that would then have been the March 7, 1980 show in Brisbane.
Alright, you just earned yourself a spot in the Liam hall of fame.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's awesome.

Wow good job . Something about that incident really struck me, but I'll discuss it in the Storms thread.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamMcConville View Post
The Shorline Ampitheater was created specifically for the US Festivals wasn't it? Or am I mistaken?

And Bill Graham, honestly, is my idol. I'm going to school to become an educator, but my dream job is to be a Concert Promoter. How he basically started the music administration business is incredible. Do you still have the note?
No, Shoreline is in the Bay Area just a few miles from Stevie's Atherton high school. US festival was just a southern california gig, right?

Sadly, the note is one of many things I could strangle myself for not keeping. I do know that my letter talked about how much more I had to pay to see Huey Lewis and the News compared to what I paid to see Rick Springfield (such fantastic taste in music I had as a teen) and BG wrote a pretty extensive explanation of why Huey Lewis was far more accomplished and worthy of higher ticket prices.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That's wild. It's hard to believe that the Harris Version Of Things really occurred just like that. Sounds very anecdotal on her part, like "The One That Got Away" stories.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
US festival was just a southern california gig, right?
Yes. Both US Fests ('82 & '83) were at the same spot in Devore, which is off the 10 freeway in San Bernardino. I sort of got the feeling that there would have been more US Fests in later years, but that's about when the whole Live Aid & all its progeny (like Farm Aid & Amnesty International) got going -- the mid '80s. So those big festivals probably made Steve Wozniak's purely capitalistic enterprise (rock festivals with huge fees for the performers & cheap marketing for Apple Computers) seem rather crass. Rock fans wanted to help fight "world hunger" & bring amnesty to prisoners of conscience, not just put millions more in the pockets of the PC industry. Personally, I have nothing against the latter, but I thought the location for the US Fests really sucked. For those who don't know, it's unbearably hot out there from late spring through late fall. It's pretty junky out there, even today, when they've built a permanent amphitheater (they sometimes hold Ozzfest out there now).
Old 08-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Registered

Quote:
No, Shoreline is in the Bay Area just a few miles from Stevie's Atherton high school. US festival was just a southern california gig, right?

Sadly, the note is one of many things I could strangle myself for not keeping. I do know that my letter talked about how much more I had to pay to see Huey Lewis and the News compared to what I paid to see Rick Springfield (such fantastic taste in music I had as a teen) and BG wrote a pretty extensive explanation of why Huey Lewis was far more accomplished and worthy of higher ticket prices.
"In the mid 1980s, in conjunction with the city of Mountain View, California, and Apple Inc. cofounder Steve Wozniak, he masterminded the creation of the Shoreline Amphitheatre, which became the San Francisco Peninsula's major venue for outdoor rock concerts."

Thats where I got the whole US Festival being there.

Thats a shame. I'm sure its a fond memory.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That's wild. It's hard to believe that the Harris Version Of Things really occurred just like that. Sounds very anecdotal on her part, like "The One That Got Away" stories.
Have you read it? Your description fits the entire book, not just that part.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Have you read it? Your description fits the entire book, not just that part.
Nah, I probably would stare at it for a little bit & then set it aside. I've enjoyed the excerpts on the Ledge, however, as well as everyone's discussions.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Nah, I probably would stare at it for a little bit & then set it aside. I've enjoyed the excerpts on the Ledge, however, as well as everyone's discussions.

You still crack me up and I am sure glad you decided to start posting again. Your wit and knowledge has been missed.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey