Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Ledgie

Default New Rollingstone Interview

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...duo-lp-w488081
Old 06-15-2017, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

wow, didn't know about Christine's prescription problem.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"We are free of baggage," McVie says, chuckling.

Indeed.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Back in 2014, something wonderful happened to Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie. They tried writing songs together for the first time in ages – taking a tentative, low-stakes approach – and were overjoyed to discover that "within the first hour," as Buckingham puts it, "it was like, 'Holy ****, whatever we used to have—'" "—is still there," says McVie, sitting a few feet away.
I just love this!

Quote:
Adds McVie, 73, "We've always connected musically in Fleetwood Mac, because" – as the band's guitarist and keyboardist, respectively – "we're the only people who play more than one note. I'm not the best pianist, but I know how to interlace around what Lindsey's playing."
Loving Christine's humbleness here. And laughing about how only she and Lindsey can play more than one note!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I just love this!

Loving Christine's humbleness here. And laughing about how only she and Lindsey can play more than one note!
wow, there's some shade!!
Old 06-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
It's true though, isn't it? Although I'd have given John some credit as well. He's a fantastic bass guitar player.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonfan View Post
wow, didn't know about Christine's prescription problem.
i know that bit suprised me too
Old 06-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm glad they're enjoying their superiority as musicians.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 06-15-2017, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
It's true though, isn't it? Although I'd have given John some credit as well. He's a fantastic bass guitar player.
Yes indeed, he CERTAINLY knows more than one note. I'm a Stevie fan, but she's not a musician. She has musical ideas, but can't really present them due to her limited skills. Which is why it seems like Chris's comment has to be a reference to Stevie......
Old 06-15-2017, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie on Their New Fleetwood Mac Spinoff
The pair didn't want to stop after the Mac's last tour. So they hit the studio for the first time in decades

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie explain how they revived their studio collaboration and made their first-ever duo LP. John Russo
By Jonah Weiner
11 hours ago

Back in 2014, something wonderful happened to Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie. They tried writing songs together for the first time in ages – taking a tentative, low-stakes approach – and were overjoyed to discover that "within the first hour," as Buckingham puts it, "it was like, 'Holy ****, whatever we used to have—'" "—is still there," says McVie, sitting a few feet away. It's mid-May, and the Fleetwood Mac icons are on a soundstage in L.A., about to rehearse. Those new songs grew into an album, Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie, which will imminently give way to a new tour, so they've booked this space for five weeks of practice.

The pair's success was in no way guaranteed. Sure, back in the late Seventies, while working on Rumours and Tusk, McVie wrote epochal smashes like "Don't Stop" and "Think About Me," which Buckingham helped shape in the studio. (He also wrote plenty of hits, like "Go Your Own Way.") But the making of those LPs had been famously turbulent – drugs, fights, love triangles – and the ensuing years hadn't exactly been idyllic. "The Sixties-into-the-Seventies lifestyle ramped up, and by 1987? I don't know how we ever got Tango in the Night done," says Buckingham, 67. "We saw Stevie for a couple of weeks out of an entire year. Everyone was at their worst. Hard living."

Buckingham left the band for the better part of a decade. Not long after he rejoined, in 1997, McVie called it quits and returned to her native England. "I thought, 'I want to be home.' My dad was sick. I bought a house in Kent, and it had to be rebuilt brick by brick. I did that quite lovingly. Then my marriage [to musician Eddy Quintela] fell apart, and I found myself in this huge place, alone in the middle of nowhere. I got myself in a bit of trouble, really. I fell down the stairs, hurt my back and started taking pills for the pain. La-di-da, one thing led to the other, and I got a bit ...  isolated." She eventually "sought help with a therapist, and discovered I had other issues. Eventually I had to figure out what the hell I was going to do with my life." The answer? "I needed to find my way back to Fleetwood Mac."

She signed up for the band's 2014–15 On With the Show world tour. Before it started, she sent Buckingham some "nuggets of ideas" to reorient themselves. But creative sparks flew in both directions. "She'd take my stuff and come back with something magnificent," says Buckingham. Adds McVie, 73, "We've always connected musically in Fleetwood Mac, because" – as the band's guitarist and keyboardist, respectively – "we're the only people who play more than one note. I'm not the best pianist, but I know how to interlace around what Lindsey's playing." They vowed to return to the material, and there was a chance it would turn into a new Fleetwood Mac album, but Stevie Nicks was "busy with projects of her own," McVie says. ("I needed my two years off," Nicks said.) A duets album took hold. They started taking liberties with each other's songs in a way that wasn't previously possible. "In the context of the band, there might have been more politics," Buckingham notes. It helps that, amid the many romantic entanglements that crisscrossed the group, there was no such history between the two: "We are free of baggage," McVie says, chuckling.

Buckingham/McVie, featuring contributions from drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie, sounds crisp and upbeat, even when the pair are reckoning with subjects like what McVie calls her "hibernation." On tour, they will sprinkle in Fleetwood Mac numbers, and the Mac themselves will reassemble for bigger shows later this summer. Which Buckingham considers miraculous. "We were a dysfunctional family," he says. "But somehow we had the strength. ..." McVie grins and listens. "The heroics that got us through Rumours," he adds, "when everyone was crumbling and we realized we had a destiny to follow? That same strength has kept us all together."
Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes indeed, he CERTAINLY knows more than one note. I'm a Stevie fan, but she's not a musician. She has musical ideas, but can't really present them due to her limited skills. Which is why it seems like Chris's comment has to be a reference to Stevie......
Clearly. And that's why they make such a perfect duo with Lindsey. He's rubbing off on her.

Sarcastic much?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
lol ikr i was kinda surprised by that too since she obviously is referring to stevie. but it's not really a lie so she might not have meant it to be shady, more like a statement of facts.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why would it be directed at Stevie? She doesn't play any notes. Drums and bass are there for rhythm, and the pitch doesn't change much, so it's her keys and Lindsey's guitars that give the music its rich sound. It seems pretty obvious to me she was comparing herself and Lindsey to Mick and John, although she was in no way throwing shade.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The man is an orchestra, by himself, in the runs he plays.

I too, think it was a dig at Stevie.

Well played, Christine. There's another reason you've always been my favorite!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Why would it be directed at Stevie? She doesn't play any notes. Drums and bass are there for rhythm, and the pitch doesn't change much, so it's her keys and Lindsey's guitars that give the music its rich sound. It seems pretty obvious to me she was comparing herself and Lindsey to Mick and John, although she was in no way throwing shade.
Because when she goes on shows, and pretends to play piano, it's EMBARRASSING. For HER. She should stop that. Her people should stop her from doing that, but she'd probably fire them...