The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thought this might be a good place for a couple vintage virtual clippings about Peter...

Rolling Stone Apr 16, 1970

Peter Green to Emulate Christ?

LONDON - Peter Green, guitarist with Fleetwood Mac, may or may not give away all his money except enough for an occasional handful of rice. "Why should I have any more money than anyone else?" Peter asks rhetorically.
     Peter made the announcement that he was going to give it all away shortly before Fleetwood Mac left on a European tour. But no sooner was he out of town than his manager's office began changing his mind for him.
     Said a spokesman: "If Peter does give money away, it will be done quietly. We do know that he plans to do a charity show in April." And it is suspected that Green will continue to give the odd penny to the sidewalk beggars as well.
     Added the spokesman huffily: "Whether Peter will or not give his money is up to him. This is not the kind of publicity we want."
     One of the persons most surprised to hear about Green's planned beneficence was his father. "He could do a lot better by buying us a new house," the practical Mr. Green senior told the Daily Mirror.

Rolling Stone May 14, 1970

Peter Green Is On the Loose

LONDON - Fleetwood Mac loses leader Peter Green. Singer, songwriter, and one of the best rock guitarists in the country, Green is quitting the group after three years and giving a large part of his money to charity: "I want to lead a freer and more selfless life along Christian principles."
     He is going ahead with plans for solo albums and free concerts, "with friends I like jamming with."
     "I've got to do what God would have me do, start some kind of positive action, despite newspaper distortion or whatever," says Green of his decision. "I'm not worried if it means I'll fade from public view - it's better to set a good example."
     Since his decision became public property, Green has received upwards of 500 begging letters. But he intends donating the money (just how much he won't say) to a major international charity.
     "Money is not important. We should love one another, care for one another. One of the most common attitudes in pop today is that you've got to make it while you can and stash it away for the future. That's rubbish. I know I'll always be able to play, always be able to work."
     He leaves the group, he says, with no hard feelings on either side.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
Thought this might be a good place for a couple vintage virtual clippings about Peter...

Rolling Stone Apr 16, 1970

Peter Green to Emulate Christ?

LONDON - Peter Green, guitarist with Fleetwood Mac, may or may not give away all his money except enough for an occasional handful of rice. "Why should I have any more money than anyone else?" Peter asks rhetorically.
     Peter made the announcement that he was going to give it all away shortly before Fleetwood Mac left on a European tour. But no sooner was he out of town than his manager's office began changing his mind for him.
     Said a spokesman: "If Peter does give money away, it will be done quietly. We do know that he plans to do a charity show in April." And it is suspected that Green will continue to give the odd penny to the sidewalk beggars as well.
     Added the spokesman huffily: "Whether Peter will or not give his money is up to him. This is not the kind of publicity we want."
     One of the persons most surprised to hear about Green's planned beneficence was his father. "He could do a lot better by buying us a new house," the practical Mr. Green senior told the Daily Mirror.

Rolling Stone May 14, 1970

Peter Green Is On the Loose

LONDON - Fleetwood Mac loses leader Peter Green. Singer, songwriter, and one of the best rock guitarists in the country, Green is quitting the group after three years and giving a large part of his money to charity: "I want to lead a freer and more selfless life along Christian principles."
     He is going ahead with plans for solo albums and free concerts, "with friends I like jamming with."
     "I've got to do what God would have me do, start some kind of positive action, despite newspaper distortion or whatever," says Green of his decision. "I'm not worried if it means I'll fade from public view - it's better to set a good example."
     Since his decision became public property, Green has received upwards of 500 begging letters. But he intends donating the money (just how much he won't say) to a major international charity.
     "Money is not important. We should love one another, care for one another. One of the most common attitudes in pop today is that you've got to make it while you can and stash it away for the future. That's rubbish. I know I'll always be able to play, always be able to work."
     He leaves the group, he says, with no hard feelings on either side.
EUREKA! Thanks Becca! Acid casualties usually don't articulate their terms for leaving rock bands. Mick Fleetwood has been trying to hide that for years, because it means that Peter Green left, and crushed his ego of what FM could've been. Personally I'm with Mick Fleetwood, FM could've been a jam band force with a crossover to hard rock bands of the early 1970's. Peter Green's FM inspired Steven Tyler, and Joe Perry to form Aerosmith. I bet Perry was there at all 2/70 Boston Tea Party concerts.

Last edited by slipkid; 01-12-2014 at 01:14 AM..
Old 01-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What If

They were better than the Dead in early 70 and the Allman Brothers were not really there yet. While the sentiment is right, the truth is Peter did what he felt he had to do. He did not want to be a millionaire rock star. Mick Fleetwood did. If Peter left, ultamately it enabled Mick to have "his Dream". as always "Be careful what you wish for"
Old 01-13-2014, 01:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=doodyhead;1117009]They were better than the Dead in early 70 and the Allman Brothers were not really there yet. While the sentiment is right, the truth is Peter did what he felt he had to do. He did not want to be a millionaire rock star. Mick Fleetwood did. If Peter left, ultamately it enabled Mick to have "his Dream". as always "Be careful what you wish for". [QUOTE=doodyhead;1117009]

That is HIGH praise for FM. The typical deadhead loyalist of the time today (not you) would remember Peter Green's FM, but they would not admit it. They want to talk about Pigpen, and Jerry. In their memory FM with Peter Green was just a blip in the road. What makes this important is that the best the Grateful Dead ever offerred was 1970-fall 71. By 1972, the Dead went laid back/american country blues. By 1973, they were near comatose.

The recordings prove that Fleetwood Mac was the better Jam Band than the Grateful Dead by early 1970.

As for Mick Fleetwood, during the years had made tons of money, he would play old Peter Green FM to his pop star band under cocaine hangovers. Mick is holding a lot of guilt. Mick admitted that for the BBC 2007 Peter Green documentary.

Mick felt guilty for Danny Kirwan, and he found him in the early-mid 90's. He was living in a London homeless shelter with a UK government paycheck enough to buy beer.

Last edited by slipkid; 01-13-2014 at 01:39 AM..