User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
Oprah might think Stevie's "too rock" and given her witchy persona, might fear audience backlash.
I don't think Oprah ever has to worry about audience backlash, especially in her final season.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Could Stevie and Fleetwood Mac be a 'white thing'? In my 28 years of concert attendance, I don't think I've ever seen a black person at either a Stevie or Mac concert, except on stage. If I remember correctly, and I may not be, in "The Dance" dvd, the camera cuts now and then to one tall black man in the audience, and wow is he outnumbered.
Maybe Oprah doesn't "get" Stevie- who isn't as obvious in every way (thankfully!) as Celine Dion whom Opie has had on regularly. I know that Opie has a large white audience, but I think maybe Stevie isn't quite on Oprah's "radar"-- I recall once that Aretha Franklin said "Stevie Who??" when Stevie was selling a huge amount of albums in the '80s, and being in the same industry, you'd think Miss F would have known of her, but seemed not to.
Somehow I doubt that Joan Jett has been on Oprah's show either, though with 'The Runaways' movie it would have been a great booking for Joan. Maybe O just isn't into rock chix.
Poor Joan- the Runaways movie got good reviews but had a non-prestige early year release, and I don't think Joan benefitted as much as she should have from the film. I've been meaning to get the dvd.
I think Oprah is into the easy listening music.Like Celine. not much rock.I brought a freind to a Stevie concert years ago which she is black ,She love Stevie and her music .She loved the concert and she had the most fun then anybody that came with me to a Stevie/FM concert.Yes I hope Stevie will go on Oparh's show.On her DVD appearences last year Stevie's managment Should ofcontacted Oprah's people to go on her show.That would of been great.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a feeling that unless Stevie raises a shipload of cash for one of Oprah's pet charity projects or exploits her time with the soldiers at Walter Reed, she will have a difficult time being wedged into Oprah's final season roster. Not only are there fewer new shows, the show themes are more over-the-top and extravagant than ever- mostly in the name of charity. I mean, for crikeys sake... on yesterday's show the co-founder of Facebook donated $100 MILLION dollars to the Newark, NJ public school system! That's enough money to send each kid to private school!
Old 09-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Could Stevie and Fleetwood Mac be a 'white thing'? In my 28 years of concert attendance, I don't think I've ever seen a black person at either a Stevie or Mac concert, except on stage. If I remember correctly, and I may not be, in "The Dance" dvd, the camera cuts now and then to one tall black man in the audience, and wow is he outnumbered.
Maybe Oprah doesn't "get" Stevie- who isn't as obvious in every way (thankfully!) as Celine Dion whom Opie has had on regularly. I know that Opie has a large white audience, but I think maybe Stevie isn't quite on Oprah's "radar"-- I recall once that Aretha Franklin said "Stevie Who??" when Stevie was selling a huge amount of albums in the '80s, and being in the same industry, you'd think Miss F would have known of her, but seemed not to.
Somehow I doubt that Joan Jett has been on Oprah's show either, though with 'The Runaways' movie it would have been a great booking for Joan. Maybe O just isn't into rock chix.
Poor Joan- the Runaways movie got good reviews but had a non-prestige early year release, and I don't think Joan benefitted as much as she should have from the film. I've been meaning to get the dvd.
I wouldn't say Stevie is solely a white people thing, but she definitely has more white fans. Your comment about Aretha made me think of this woman who I work with. She is black and in her early 50s, so she was definitely around during Stevie's time, but when she saw Stevie on my keychain, she had no idea who Stevie Nicks was. I don't think its really a race thing tho, just more of a culture thing.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I think Oprah is into the easy listening music.Like Celine. not much rock.I brought a freind to a Stevie concert years ago which she is black ,She love Stevie and her music .She loved the concert and she had the most fun then anybody that came with me to a Stevie/FM concert.Yes I hope Stevie will go on Oparh's show.On her DVD appearences last year Stevie's managment Should ofcontacted Oprah's people to go on her show.That would of been great.
Oprah's FAVORITE singer is Tina Turner and Tina's life was far from"wholesome".

I sent an email request. Couldn't hurt.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNicksed View Post
Oprah's FAVORITE singer is Tina Turner and Tina's life was far from"wholesome".

I sent an email request. Couldn't hurt.
Right! And, Liza Minnelli and Mary Tyler Moore couldn't be more white. I took a black friend to the TISL tour in LA and all he kept saying was "Do you smell that weed!" and, "Sing it girl!".
Old 09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I have sent my request to the Oprah show. I made my case for why she would be an interesting interviewee as well. I hope that they consider her!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Only easy listening music? Nah... I saw an episode about a year ago or so and Oprah was rocking out to Rick Springfield. He performed on the show and then Oprah interviewed him.

I submitted my request. I am taking the stance of.. eh, could not hurt.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteShangriLa View Post
well just my opinion, but ...i dont think Stevie would have much control over what Oprah would ask her. And i think if Oprah did invite her to be on, she would demand a no holds barred interview. i dont think Stevie would agree to that. I dont think she would be comfortable with that. Seems like everytime Stevie is on a talk show or interviewed they always ask the same questions or we get the same info. been that way for the past 10 years...i think Stevie only agrees to do shows that will follow a certain set of questions...or they are told 'you cant ask about "this" or "that" ...thats what it seems like anyway.
I've never considered this, but I bet you're 110% right! It sure would explain why Stevie gets asked the same old questions year in and year out, and why we always hear the same rehearsed Steviebot answers.

Despite her robotic nature, Stevie's been pretty candid in interviews this past 20 years... it's just been a while since she's said anything that truly surprised me. I think the last time she caught me off guard was the 20/20 Downtown interview several years back when she fully detailed her coke habit... going into the bathroom every 10 minutes to do a bump. And how during her rehab stint for Klonopin all her hair fell out and her skin molted. Those are pretty intense revelations.

Regardless of all this, I couldn't really give a flip about seeing Stevie on Oprah. Oprah's credibility went out the window for me when she started touting all these charlatan Dr's this and that.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was thinking Stevie's more likely to be a guest on the Merv Griffin Show.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ha! I just emailed Oprah. I basically wrote an essay explaining why she should have Stevie Nicks (along with any other members of Fleetwood Mac ) on the show, and why Stevie fits Oprah's demographic (ie, people young and old, male and female, all around the world, recognize, enjoy, and connect with Stevie's music...) I am hopeful that Oprah's folks would at least give Stevie some consideration, especially since several of us have emailed now.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Could Stevie and Fleetwood Mac be a 'white thing'?
The local morning show here features two (white) men and a (black) female, Deidre. Deidre is a HUGE Fleetwood Mac fan and her story is that one day, while she was in college, she remembers hearing "Rhiannon" playing. Because she went to a predominantly black university (my grad school alma mater, but I digress...), she had to find out who was playing it. She followed the music to a dorm room, knocked on the door, and introduced herself. She and that girl have been best friends ever since- they bonded over their love of Stevie! I love that story because it shows that FM is kind of a white thing, but at the same time, it's not.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Could Stevie and Fleetwood Mac be a 'white thing'? .

Yes, that is true
Old 09-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
It would surprise me if Oprah had her on. Oprah caters to bored housewives and only has wholesome white bread bands on her show. Oprah might think Stevie's "too rock" and given her witchy persona, might fear audience backlash. So stupid. There are other talk show outlets for her to appear on and so what if she never appears on Oprah. Stevie will be just fine and never needed her anyway.
My thoughts exactly! Stevie is not very "Oprah-ish." It's not a question of whether Oprah would have Stevie, it's more of a matter if Stevie should have Oprah. It's a misguided notion. It's not a good fit. Stevie is a geniune rock and roller. Her credibilty would be diminished by jumping on the Oprah bandwagon. And the last thing I want Stevie to do when she promotes her new music is to entertain interviewers who will pander to her past. I hope her management puts the focus on what she is doing now. Really, what more can she say about her past? It's just been one big rehash (like the majority of her set lists) for the last ten years. Get over it!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-27-2010 at 10:33 PM..
Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i did sent in a request for stevie to appear on her show, If it happens it happens not counting on it really. I don't think Stevie would pass up being on Oprah it happens. Would be great to see her Interview Stevie and Dave Stewart and talking about there working together and how about they got to doing her new cd and other questions hopefully it won't be the same questions relating to The Rumours era the same old quiestions with the same old answers I am sure she would state please don't ask me those same quiestions over and over again...lol