User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmith View Post
As much as I love Christine, her return to the band would go un noticed if Stevie wasn't still in the band.
i don't think anybody is disputing that SN is the most commercially successful of the 3 current FM songwriters.

now, when Christine returned and they officially announced it plus new tour on Today Show, that seemed to have been all the advertising they needed to practically sell-out that exorbitantly priced tour... there's probably a good reason both Mick and Stevie are getting out their new projects concomitantly with the Mac playing the Today Show.

it would be really interesting to see whether all the claims of CM-LB fronted FM as possibly less commercial than SN-LB fronted FM would pan out, but it seems we are destined to just forever speculate. although i tend to agree with you that it would be less commercial, and probably most of the people think the same.

artistically, CM-LB fronted FM looks like they would have several more albums in them, while CM-SN-LB fronted FM unfortunately seems to be in some kind of artistic stand-still, forever waiting for SN for one or the other reason.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I sincerely do hope Stand Back is dropped, even though it is a good song to have in the setlist since it's high energy. Solo songs just don't belong in Fleetwood Mac.
They never listen to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
I know a lot of "Non-Stevie" FM fans are not crazy about this but look at it this way if FM stands behind Stevie in terms of promotion for "24K" and sales are good combine that with CM's return they could generate a lot of interest in the band for 2015...
Even without Stevie's solo album there will be plenty of interest in FM in 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
Won't happen
Spoken from a true insider.

Quote:
The reason why they are even touring is because of her.(Stevie)
Wrong. They are touring because of Christine's sudden return and are capitalizing on that all the way to the largest arenas and their collective bank accounts.(LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
so personally any change from the stale versions of her old hits would be welcome as far as i'm concerned.

however, i really can't see how FM can promote a solo album from just one of their songwriters

i also don't see the reasoning some fans here like to espouse about FM interfering with one or the other songwriter's solo plans. however much i personally want LB solo, he is usually claiming that the band comes first, then solo (and he asks the band to give him a few years when he feels he needs it for solo). SN also claims that the band comes first, and solo is just for extra songs she can't put out with the band. so the logic that FM is interfering with someone's solo plans does not make sense, unless these fans are claiming that SN is lying when she says that FM comes first, and that she actually thinks FM is just a vehicle to promote herself solo.
Your diplomacy has improved over the past year.

Quote:
Now a days FWM uses Stevie to promote themselves. It's a symbiotic relationship. They wouldn't and couldn't tour as often and as big with out her. The most Lindsey would do would be to release a few indie albums and do a handful of low key theater shows for 10 people. As much as I love Christine, her return to the band would go un noticed if Stevie wasn't still in the band. Sorry wake up and smell the coffee. Sorry. Tunnel vision for some folks
Do you really believe this mumbo jumbo? FM as a whole always sells more tickets than Stevie solo.Cutting down Lindsey's abilities to command a paying audience to prove your point is not a welcome reasoning on this board.Yes, Stevie is my favorite singer but even she tells young musicians to never leave your band because you never know when you'll need them in the long run.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think "Stand Back" will be dropped because it has been in every concert set list since 1987. Dropping the Extended Play songs for new material seems like a stronger possibility.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No way that any new solo Stevie stuff will be in this set list. Stevie can promote/tour for 24K after the FM shows.

Jamie
Old 07-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Didn't Mick, Christine & Lindsey all show up at Stevie's album's sessions here & there? I think since they were involved (even ever so minimally), there IS a chance that a song or two will make it into the set. Especially, since there is a familiarity to most (& for some of us, all) of the songs on this upcoming album, I think they'd be less hesitant to include some of them than they would had the album been of all recently written material. Even some of the songs had their fetal beginnings in Fleetwood Mac sessions, so there's also THAT as a reason for including them.

Being that Christine is returning, most of her penned material will (or "should") feel fresh again...so the "staleness" factor of the set list of the past couple of tours should be somewhat fixed. I'm pretty sure that we're NOT going to be hearing any material from the Extended Play or Say You Will on this upcoming tour; and, I would be VERY surprised if we did.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While I can totally understand not promoting a solo album during a Fleetwood Mac tour, I am surprised at how many people seem offended by even the notion, given that the single biggest complaint here on The Ledge (and we have many) is their stagnant set lists.

When we were all debating the On With the Show set list, I never posted my guess, but I think The Dance set list would get you 95% of the way there. The only thing to figure out is which four songs will replace the four that were new for The Dance. For Stevie, it probably means playing both "Sara" and "Gypsy" instead of having to choose one or the other.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know, but I tend to think that something that has its primary existence as a solo number and that hasn't or isn't going to have a band studio release shouldn't be aired at a band gig - and that goes for Buckingham Nicks stuff as well (save Crystal, by my own logic!). With so much great material that needs to be re-aired, it strikes me as a little self-indulgent. I always get this feeling when Stand Back gets played every tour (Lindsey's miming during that isn't he?).

Having said all that and given the egos involved, I'm kind of surprised that the solo numbers that have found their way into various sets over the years are relatively few and I'm grateful for that....
Old 07-25-2014, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
The news is official, Stevie Nicks' "24 Karat Gold--Songs From The Vault" will be released in conjunction with the Fleetwood Mac Tour "On With The Show".

QUESTION: Do you think Fleetwood Mac will be performing songs from Stevie's NEW SOLO ALBUM in the set list?
NOOOOO

Please not, first, it's a Fleetwood Mac tour, not Stevie Nicks featuring Fleetwood Mac

Second, there LOT of good Mac songs never played live. It would be so unfair if they include any solo song (Stevie, Lindsey or Chris) instead of those songs.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I sincerely do hope Stand Back is dropped, even though it is a good song to have in the setlist since it's high energy. Solo songs just don't belong in Fleetwood Mac. That includes songs from Stevie's 24k Gold album, and as much as I hate it, Lindsey's acoustic Go Insane. The Mac has such a tremendous back catalog. Pull out some lesser know tracks, or some of the freshly recorded MAC songs instead of solo works.
You singled "Go Insane" out, but if that's the case "Big Love" belongs in the same category. Even though "Big Love" is a FM song originally I don't really see a different between him playing that solo or "Go Insane". It's still Lindsey solo.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Once again, I'm not advocating for solo songs in the setlist, but I think the "band" vs. "solo" label means a lot more to us than to them. We know Mick enjoys playing Stand Back; I think it may have even been his idea to include it in the set originally. I don't think he cares that 30 years ago, he spent a few minutes laying down drum tracks for Gypsy but not for Stand Back. He's happy to play both, and why shouldn't he be?

If those 5 people play something new for us this fall (which they won't), shouldn't we just be happy about it? Or do we have to know whose album it will be on before we decide how we feel about it?
Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
The news is official, Stevie Nicks' "24 Karat Gold--Songs From The Vault" will be released in conjunction with the Fleetwood Mac Tour "On With The Show".

QUESTION: Do you think Fleetwood Mac will be performing songs from Stevie's NEW SOLO ALBUM in the set list? If not, why? If so, HOW MANY tracks from "24 Karat Gold" will The Mac perform? Does this mean that Stevie's signature solo standard "Stand Back" will be dropped from the Mac set list to make room for "24 Karat" songs? What are you thoughts, Ledgies?
Yes, Fleetwood Mac will perform one or two songs from 24 Karat Gold - Songs from the Vault.

"Stand Back" will never be dropped from Fleetwood Mac's set list. It is a standard among "Rhiannon," "Landslide," "Dreams," "Gold Dust Woman," "Silver Springs," "Sara" and "Gypsy."
Old 07-26-2014, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Yes, Fleetwood Mac will perform one or two songs from 24 Karat Gold - Songs from the Vault.

"Stand Back" will never be dropped from Fleetwood Mac's set list. It is a standard among "Rhiannon," "Landslide," "Dreams," "Gold Dust Woman," "Silver Springs," "Sara" and "Gypsy."
Therein lies the problem- Your standards total 8 songs. Assuming each of Stevie, Christine and Lindsey are allowed an equal share of the setlist then you'd have 24 songs plus The Chain (plus World Turning?). 25/26 songs is already too many.

There wouldn't be space for 24KG songs without compromising a couple of the standards. To include one or two you'd take out Stand Back and one of either Silver Springs/Sara/Gypsy.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I so agree with you.
If she performs a song from her album, I think it they/Stevie won't make a big deal about it. It could be announced as a song that almost made it on Fleetwood Mac album. It won't matter much, because Christine is going to steal the show anyway.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-28-2014 at 08:18 PM..
Old 07-26-2014, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Now a days FWM uses Stevie to promote themselves. It's a symbiotic relationship. They wouldn't and couldn't tour as often and as big with out her. The most Lindsey would do would be to release a few indie albums and do a handful of low key theater shows for 10 people. As much as I love Christine, her return to the band would go un noticed if Stevie wasn't still in the band. Sorry wake up and smell the coffee. Sorry. Tunnel vision for some folks
This tour isn't about Stevie or Lindsey. It's about Christine and Fleetwood Mac. I want to hear new material from Christine that her Lindsey have worked on. It doesn't have to be released yet, they can still perform one new Fleetwood Mac song.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:01 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
I sincerely do hope Stand Back is dropped, even though it is a good song to have in the setlist since it's high energy. Solo songs just don't belong in Fleetwood Mac. That includes songs from Stevie's 24k Gold album, and as much as I hate it, Lindsey's acoustic Go Insane. The Mac has such a tremendous back catalog. Pull out some lesser know tracks, or some of the freshly recorded MAC songs instead of solo works.
I completely agree. I love Stand Back, but all the solo songs need to go by the wayside with Christine back. The only way I would accept them is everyone had one solo song, and they all sang on each. They definitely need to do Without You with Christine, though. I thought it was a pretty great performance as a duet, but even better with Chris's contributions.