User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
It's not so much Stevie writing a song like that it's convincing the band that they should record / perform it...
Stevie hasn't written a dance song on par with Stand Back for her solo career, so I don't think she's had any trouble convincing FM to let her do one. I would say GAG comes closest. Some people like FFG, but I don't. I like the lyrics and the swell of emotion in it, but I don't really like the music and while I applaud the fact that she kept it in her setlist longer than I thought she would, I was glad for GAG to come along as the new rocker.

Of course, in this day and age, even if she had a better song than Stand Back, it would never have the same level of audience recognition and would never get the airplay and circulation that was available to FM in the eighties, so they are never going to have equivalent songs in terms of popularity, even if they surpass the old ones in terms of craft and quality.

Michele
Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwelchera View Post
I completely agree. I love Stand Back, but all the solo songs need to go by the wayside with Christine back. The only way I would accept them is everyone had one solo song, and they all sang on each. They definitely need to do Without You with Christine, though. I thought it was a pretty great performance as a duet, but even better with Chris's contributions.
Without You is strictly a Buckingham Nicks two -part harmony demo, which was far better than their recorded EP version. They should just remixed the original demo for release. And their live performance of it was lackluster. Not sure Christine would even consider singing it. I think it was a one tour song, much like most of the songs on Say You Will.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-28-2014 at 08:26 PM..
Old 07-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Without You is strictly a Buckingham Nicks two -part harmony demo, which was far better than their recorded EP version. They should just remixed the original demo for release. And their live performance of it was lackluster. Not sure Christine would even consider singing it. I think it was a one tour song, much like most of the songs on Say You Will.
If they wanted to drop "Stand Back" for a very FM-ish song the Buckingham/Nicks tune "Let Me Down Again" might not be a bad choice...
Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
If they wanted to drop "Stand Back" for a very FM-ish song the Buckingham/Nicks tune "Let Me Down Again" might not be a bad choice...
They tried that. Failed. I honestly don't think it was as good as Without You, but the audience might have responded better to it, if it had had an intro. A short one, not a 9 minute one. But a 2 minute intro might have sparked the audience and, in turn, made Lindsey and Stevie more animated about it as well.

Hilarious that they also performed the song right after Lindsey left the band, a nice message to him, but I don't even know if he realized it was in their setlist.

Michele
Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Ledgie

Is there any possibility that Stevie will open for FM? I mean maybe she can do a short solo set of a couple of 24 Karat Gold songs (and maybe EO17 and SB). Is that why her solo band members were just recently at her house? It could have been a compromise that she made with FM to go on tour with them while still being able to promote her new album. At least on the US leg of the tour.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Your Dreams View Post
Is there any possibility that Stevie will open for FM?
I don't think it's a possibility for many, many reasons, but one of them is that I doubt that Stevie would want to be on stage that long. She wouldn't want to do a 45-60 minute set as the opener and then come out and play 2.5 hours with FM.

Michele
Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Ledgie

You're probably right but with Christine back there is less burden on Stevie during the FM set - she can also be off stage for a while if they bunch a few Lindsey and Chris songs together (their deeper cuts where she's not needed). But I'm sure the FM politics will preclude this from happening.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Your Dreams View Post
You're probably right but with Christine back there is less burden on Stevie during the FM set - she can also be off stage for a while if they bunch a few Lindsey and Chris songs together (their deeper cuts where she's not needed). But I'm sure the FM politics will preclude this from happening.
I see what you mean about burden. Yes, there's another person there, but she still has to sing background on all of Christine's songs, except Songbird. Singing background is not as vocally tiring as singing lead, but you're still standing there and singing, so it's not like resting. They would consider the audience as well. There is a limit to how long the SN fans in the audience would want her off stage, so it's not like she can be gone for more than a couple of songs, even if the band has plenty of songs they could play in her absence. She's already gone for Big Love, much of World Turning and ISA (and I am pretty sure that Christine will sing on ISA with Lindsey), with Christine there or not, she's not going to be able to be off stage for much more than that, because the audience wouldn't like it, even if the band thought it made sense.

Michele
Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I see what you mean about burden. Yes, there's another person there, but she still has to sing background on all of Christine's songs, except Songbird. Singing background is not as vocally tiring as singing lead, but you're still standing there and singing, so it's not like resting. They would consider the audience as well. There is a limit to how long the SN fans in the audience would want her off stage, so it's not like she can be gone for more than a couple of songs, even if the band has plenty of songs they could play in her absence. She's already gone for Big Love, much of World Turning and ISA (and I am pretty sure that Christine will sing on ISA with Lindsey), with Christine there or not, she's not going to be able to be off stage for much more than that, because the audience wouldn't like it, even if the band thought it made sense.

Michele
It would also be hard to even explain to casual concert-goers what was going on. Fleetwood Mac, with Stevie Nicks opening. How can you be the opening act and the headliner? Does this mean she is not in the band? Who exactly will we be seeing after Stevie? If Stevie's not in FM, will she do any FM songs? Will FM do her songs? Sounds silly to Ledgies, but think about how many people go to shows and don't even know what the band's hits are until they start playing them.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I know it won't happen but whatever... Now we know the tracklist, I wouldn't actually mind if Stevie did add a 24K song. Specifically I wouldn't be complaining if they did Twisted...

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 08-06-2014, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
I know it won't happen but whatever... Now we know the tracklist, I wouldn't actually mind if Stevie did add a 24K song. Specifically I wouldn't be complaining if they did Twisted...
It was on the Best Buy CD, with SYHA, Temporary One, etc. It would not be the most outrageous thing to happen for FM to perform it.

Michele
Old 08-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Ledgie

Default "The Dealer" and "If You Were My Love"

Being 24 Karat Gold's first single, how likely would "The Dealer" be performed?

It would be a pipe dream, but "If You Were My Love" would be great live.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't think it does. I think it means a fair amount to them and I don't think Mick was just happy to play on Stand Back. I think he recognized that his set needed the boost. I think it was a strategic decision to try to keep audience interest. When he's in his own band Mick plays anything. He'll play solo songs from his bandmates. He'll play FM. He doesn't care. But FM recognizes much stronger lines of demarcation.

And no, the fans that want FM to shake things up in their setlist are mostly fans that want deeper FM cuts. They just don't want new songs just for the sake of new songs. Otherwise, they'd be advocating that FM start doing covers in their sets and very few focused fans want that.

Michele
Wasn't Lindsey the one who wanted Stand Back included in the set on the last tour? I thought I read that somewhere...