The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #286  
Old Today, 01:30 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 10,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I actually prefer the Bekka Bramlett of Journey, Arnel Pineda. An awesome singer, without all the bitchy attitude. Seriously. He's a sweet, down to Earth guy.


But that Tom Perry? I loved his duet with $tevie on Stop Dragging My Leather Around The Glitter. Sheer genius, those two.
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)

Last edited by HomerMcvie : Today at 01:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old Today, 07:00 AM
JohnL JohnL is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
If I'm honest. I've always thought TP and the HB are one of the most boring bands out there. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Crowded House: I don't really have an opinion. ehhhhh (there's my opinion)
I truly believe you would change your mind if you ever had the chance to see them live. One of the best concerts I have ever seen...and I have seen hundreds.
__________________
Love is a word and some entertain it...if you find it...you have won the game baby
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old Today, 10:52 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I truly believe you would change your mind if you ever had the chance to see them live. One of the best concerts I have ever seen...and I have seen hundreds.
That may be true. Sometimes, the live act is much better than the album material.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old Today, 11:37 AM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I truly believe you would change your mind if you ever had the chance to see them live. One of the best concerts I have ever seen...and I have seen hundreds.
I guess there's no accounting for tastes. If they don't think the Heartbreakers had anything special, what can you do? The Heartbreakers are one of the great American bands. Their sound from their heyday with Ron Blair and Stan Lynch was enormously satisfying and influential; they got ripped off by dozens of other American rock bands (John Mellencamp, anyone?). They were tight, sinewy, tough, in-the-pocket musicians. They invented their slinky style and they played that style better than anyone else. Blair, Lynch, Tench, Campbell, Petty . . . what's not to like and admire? Have the naysayers played "Refugee" or "What Are You Doing In My Life?" recently? The Heartbreakers laid down classic tracks like these over and over and over. They're the Mt. Olympus of American rock (with a few other bands).
__________________
The Filmic I: Movie Notes
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old Today, 12:48 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I guess there's no accounting for tastes. If they don't think the Heartbreakers had anything special, what can you do? The Heartbreakers are one of the great American bands. Their sound from their heyday with Ron Blair and Stan Lynch was enormously satisfying and influential; they got ripped off by dozens of other American rock bands (John Mellencamp, anyone?). They were tight, sinewy, tough, in-the-pocket musicians. They invented their slinky style and they played that style better than anyone else. Blair, Lynch, Tench, Campbell, Petty . . . what's not to like and admire? Have the naysayers played "Refugee" or "What Are You Doing In My Life?" recently? The Heartbreakers laid down classic tracks like these over and over and over. They're the Mt. Olympus of American rock (with a few other bands).
My favorite Tom Petty song is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKDYErlu5Kc
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old Today, 06:28 PM
jwd jwd is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fleetucky
Posts: 2,860
Default

So many posts to respond to here so I'll just sum it up here.

TP and The Heartbreakers is one of the most amazing bands ever! So many classic tunes. And how anyone can find them boring is beyond my comprehension. Have you ever seen them LIVE? PUUUUHLEASE!

Mike and Tom were the closest of friends. If there was anything Mike could have done to save Tom he would have. The closest of friends can't necssarily save someone hooked on drugs. There's only so much one can do.

God bless the USA!

And Germany, what positive light do you have to show the world? I wouldn't be too preachy considering you started TWO WORLD WARS!

Last edited by jwd : Today at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old Today, 07:48 PM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is online now
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 3,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
So many posts to respond to here so I'll just sum it up here.

TP and The Heartbreakers is one of the most amazing bands ever! So many classic tunes. And how anyone can find them boring is beyond my comprehension. Have you ever seen them LIVE? PUUUUHLEASE!

Mike and Tom were the closest of friends. If there was anything Mike could have done to save Tom he would have. The closest of friends can't necssarily save someone hooked on drugs. There's only so much one can do.

God bless the USA!

And Germany, what positive light do you have to show the world? I wouldn't be too preachy considering you started TWO WORLD WARS!
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers are one of the greatest American rock bands to emerge in the last 50 years no question. No other U.S. band that I can think of during their time had that level of consistency .In fact most were done after a few years . about the Germany comment . I'm precisely half German and half Irish but usually just mention that Irish part.
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old Today, 08:11 PM
Hawkeye Hawkeye is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 4,191
Default

Tom Petty is easily the only band that I can say truly got better with age. Many bands say that about themselves and a lot of fans of certain bands (including this band) and while many are/or have made great music in their later years, All of my favorite stuff by atom Petty is primarily 1993 to his death. And of courses there’s some amazing stuff in the first 20 years. And the live versions of old songs just kept getting better. Tom Petty’s Sirius station is the thing I’ve listened to most in the past 3 years (equal amounts befor and after his death) it’s never ending perfection. It’s also only 75 percent his stuff. The other 25 percent is like the Fleetwood Mac station’s in every way except Tom Petty’s introduces you to incredible unknown new artists and forgotten songs that inspired him, and they’re always very good. Tom Petty was not only great himself, he had an incredible ear for other music. So the exact opposite of the “influences” the FM station played.
__________________
Never Dance with the Devil

He Will Burn You Down
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old Today, 08:33 PM
Sugar Mouse's Avatar
Sugar Mouse Sugar Mouse is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers are one of the greatest American rock bands to emerge in the last 50 years no question. No other U.S. band that I can think of during their time had that level of consistency .In fact most were done after a few years . about the Germany comment . I'm precisely half German and half Irish but usually just mention that Irish part.
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers were an incredible band with literally dozens of incredible songs especially if you also include TP's solo albums. I find that a ton of folks only know the "hits" and don't know how many phenomenal "deep cut" songs there are. I still remember doing my first Tom Petty deep dive and being astounded by how many great songs I kept finding. "Walls" is just one example I can think of of a world class song by a world class songwriter. What a masterful song. And, of course, there's the Wildflowers album which stands as one of the greatest albums of all-time; a true masterpiece. And, of course, there is their live version of "Oh Well" which has got to be the best version of the song ever recorded ... TP and The Heartbreakers were a world-class band led by a world-class songwriter.



Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old Today, 09:01 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,258
Default

Ironically Walls is a song that Lindsey worked on with Tom.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old Today, 09:35 PM
iamnotafraid iamnotafraid is online now
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
...

And Germany, what positive light do you have to show the world? I wouldn't be too preachy considering you started TWO WORLD WARS!
Germany after declaring two wars against the world,
you'd think the world would have said "hey Germany,
you don't get to be a country anymore".
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee
$799.99
Fleetwood Mac Signed Photo Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood Christie McVee John McVee pictureSIGNED - Mick Fleetwood "Mac" Drumhead 12" + Pic
$400.0
SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood MICK FLEETWOOD Signed "Bare Trees" Vinyl, LP Fleetwood Mac psa/dna #ad60172
$200.0
MICK FLEETWOOD Signed c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET LINDSEY MICK CHRIS & JOHN IN STUDIO
$179.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET LINDSEY MICK CHRIS & JOHN IN STUDIO pictureStar Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks
$149.99
Star Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved