The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Really fun to see these reviews, the 5.1 had me ready to purchase at any cost... waiting for this one.

This is my fave period of the BuckNicks years...dark, but still so very fresh and exciting and so, so deep. I loved this album in real time in '75 and still consider it a masterpiece. So much so, that when Rumours came out it seemed like Part 2 and I loved it but didn't see what was exciting everyone else so much, I mean, didn't they hear this record?
Old 01-26-2018, 09:37 AM

First Italian review:

Fleetwood Mac - the review of "Fleetwood Mac (Deluxe)"

As it happens for many bands, also the career of Fleetwood Mac is divided into phases and periods: in this case they're mainly two. The first is the English one characterized by a rock blues sound, the second - indeed the most famous - is the most pop rock American one.

It is with this "Fleetwood Mac" of 1975, the band's tenth album (the second eponym) that begins the second phase thanks to the arrival of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. The disc - which contains historical pieces like "Landslide" and "Rhiannon" comes out today in a deluxe version of 3 discs: remastered album, outtakes collection and demo version, plus a couple of American concerts recorded in 1975.

A disc to discover or re-evaluate, a good alternative to the well known and subsequent "Rumors".

http://www.rockol.it/news-684691/fle...one?refresh_ce
Old 01-26-2018, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
She's not singing in the end "you don't have to give up, why is all wrong..." It's just Stevie and Lindsey but in a previous mix it was all three.
no, no, no. that is just so wrong. that's what makes it so special.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 5.1 Dvd

This is just amazing. I wish every time I heard a MAC song it sounded like this. I love these mixes! I can't tell you after all these years of listening to these songs I can finally hear how they were meant to be heard. All of these......

Fleetwood Mac
Rumours
Tusk
Mirage
Say You Will

Tango would have been Awsome.......Lets hope for BuckingamNicks

Last edited by BLY; 01-26-2018 at 08:22 PM..
Old 01-27-2018, 02:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
no, no, no. that is just so wrong. that's what makes it so special.

Ok this is the Midnight special version of 'Why' that is the same performance that is on the new Deluxe edition. So why does Chris's vocal sound SO much better on the new re issue? Did they just add reverb etc...or did they autotune that track for the new remaster because it's so much better now. Not that it was bad before.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Ok this is the Midnight special version of 'Why' that is the same performance that is on the new Deluxe edition. So why does Chris's vocal sound SO much better on the new re issue? Did they just add reverb etc...or did they autotune that track for the new remaster because it's so much better now. Not that it was bad before.
There's a lot of reverb and even some echo on quite a bit of the tracks.

Autotune doesn't really make the sound better. It gives it more of a generic feel and diminishes tone quality. IMO.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ha, this is my favorite FM album and I don't even have this yet. Maybe it's that my fandom has waned, or "I'm getting older", too. Or, I'm just waiting for the price to drop, I don't know. You guys and gals have definitely piqued my interest though. And I will get this soon and get catapulted back to a time and a place where it all began for me. I'm going to like that place!!!!!
Old 02-02-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Ha, this is my favorite FM album and I don't even have this yet. Maybe it's that my fandom has waned, or "I'm getting older", too. Or, I'm just waiting for the price to drop, I don't know. You guys and gals have definitely piqued my interest though. And I will get this soon and get catapulted back to a time and a place where it all began for me. I'm going to like that place!!!!!
It just might be my favorite album, too.

It's so weird to hear keyboards on the studio version of World Turning.

I'm fascinated by some of these early versions.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
You've got a good memory!

Is it a weird coincidence that a few of us are thinking
(hoping, wishing and praying) that a Buckingham Nicks
Deluxe Set
comes our way? 45th anniversary no less.

It'd be wonderful if it could be done by Analogue Productions
and pressed at RTI. Or even better by the folks that are doing
the special pressings at MoFi. The Limited Edition UltraDisc One-
Step 45 rpm vinyl 2LP box sets. Very limited sets. Costly too at
$100 a pop.
Well, I received my Amazon UK parcel yesterday and it was indeed smashed to bits, but fortunately the album was in a box within a box within the shipping box and is intact. We regularly order items from the UK and this box was quite a sight (won't order music from them again).

Thrilled to bits with the music, which might bump BuckVie off the currently most played list.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:24 AM

Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac: Deluxe Edition (Reprise)

Fleetwood Mac wasn’t entirely unknown to American rock fans when their self-titled album appeared in 1975, but the impressions people had were confused. Fleetwood Mac began in the ’60s as a British blues-rock band fronted by a brilliant guitarist, Peter Green. With his departure began continual lineup shifts with a changing cast of musicians, vocalists and songwriters. By 1975 Mac was best known as the band that sang about UFOs and the Bermuda Triangle.

But that was about to change. For Fleetwood Mac, the band added a pair of Yanks, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, and embraced the sonic perfectionism of the Los Angeles studio sound. On the resulting album, melody and harmony were brought to a platinum polish with memorable hooks and lyrics on the vagaries of love. The hits kept coming: “Over My Head,” “Rhiannon,” “Say You Love Me,” “Landslide.”

The newly issued Fleetwood Mac slipcase package contains the album on remastered vinyl as well as CD. An additional disc of “early takes” isn’t revelatory but suggests how those songs might have sounded live, shorn of some of that studio sheen and sounding more like a band together in the moment.

https://shepherdexpress.com/music/al...ition-reprise/

ALBUM REVIEW: Reissue of a classic is a must for fans

This is a simply beautiful album from Fleetwood Mac. It looks beautiful and sounds just perfect. For fans, it is a must. The band’s original 1975 self-titled album was an overwhelming smash when it was first released. It topped the album chart and sold more than five million copies in the US, thanks to classic songs like ‘Landslide’, ‘Say You Love Me’, and ‘Rhiannon’. The line up was the band’s most successful incarnation to date, comprising of Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and Christine McVie. This re-release comes as the band continues its campaign to reissue its classic albums. The collection includes newly remastered audio, rare and unreleased studio and live recordings, and more. It is available on three different formats: Deluxe, Expanded and Remastered. The deluxe edition includes a third disc with extra unreleased live recordings, including performances of ‘Landslide’, ‘Oh Well’, ‘Station Man,’ and World Turning’ among others. It also comes with a DVD, LP version of the original album and in-depth liner notes and rare photos. Reviewed by Zoe Myall

Read more at: https://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/what...fans-1-8373379
Old 02-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Just finished listening to the live album...

In one word: Refreshing.

Out of all the deluxe editions, this is the first one where I am truly experiencing "new" material. The live album has such a raw energy and excitement to it. I always thought that, if I could go back in time, the Tusk tour is the point in the band's history I would want to have witnessed; however, I now wish that I was alive and of age to have seen the "new" lineup in 1975. What amazes me about the live album is it gives such a clear idea as to the state FM during this moment: new songs, a sense of expanding the sonics of the band, the pride that the three Brits have in showing off the new talent from America, and a general lack of restraint (unlike the very polished performances that would only increase as the band became more popular). It is also touching to hear how Christine was really the band leader at this point. I would argue that the leader role was quickly taken over by Lindsey, most likely with no complaints from Christine. However, in 1975, Christine was the "face" of Fleetwood Mac and it was her material that really defined the sound of the band. This concert, to me, represents Christine "showing the way" for the talents of Stevie and Lindsey to be unleashed for the future. It is also so incredible to hear "Rhiannon," "Landslide, " Over My Head," "I'm So Afraid," and "World Turning" as new songs. This is without a doubt (no doubt at all) the best recorded version of "Rhiannon" we have; Stevie is really selling it and giving the audience no doubt that she belongs in this band. Lindsey's guitar playing is much more sporadic than in future tours; however, this concert hints at the true rock and roll performer and "guitarist supreme" he would become. John and Mick are incredibly tight on this recording. All of the live recordings with these deluxe editions have allowed for me to have a greater appreciation for John McVie's playing...the man is a master of his craft. And Christine...her piano and keyboard playing are stunning throughout this entire live set. As a piano player myself, I have always been drawn to Christine's work. This live recording has elevated my respect for her musicianship; the blues energy she gives in "Get Like You Used To Be," the rhythmic playing she provides in "Rhiannon," and the last minute of "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love" prove just how sophisticated and intelligent Christine McVie is as a keyboardist/pianist (not to mention her vocals throughout).

The live album is worth the price of admission here. Though I love the work on Rumours and beyond, it is nice to listen to this band without the mainstays that have so dominated their shows since 1975. Hearing the band play pre-Buckingham/Nicks material has allowed for me to focus on the actual playing that this band is capable of. I will no doubt be returning to the live set quite often.

Last edited by Andy Man; 02-16-2018 at 02:04 PM..
Old 02-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Do you always trust your first initial feeling?

So damn amazing.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
Just finished listening to the live album...

In one word: Refreshing.

Out of all the deluxe editions, this is the first one where I am truly experiencing "new" material. The live album has such a raw energy and excitement to it. I always thought that, if I could go back in time, the Tusk tour is the point in the band's history I would want to have witnessed; however, I now wish that I was alive and of age to have seen the "new" lineup in 1975. What amazes me about the live album is it gives such a clear idea as to the state FM during this moment: new songs, a sense of expanding the sonics of the band, the pride that the three Brits have in showing off the new talent from America, and a general lack of restraint (unlike the very polished performances that would only increase as the band became more popular). It is also touching to hear how Christine was really the band leader at this point. I would argue that the leader role was quickly taken over by Lindsey, most likely with no complaints from Christine. However, in 1975, Christine was the "face" of Fleetwood Mac and it was her material that really defined the sound of the band. This concert, to me, represents Christine "showing the way" for the talents of Stevie and Lindsey to be unleashed for the future. It is also so incredible to hear "Rhiannon," "Landslide, " Over My Head," "I'm So Afraid," and "World Turning" as new songs. This is without a doubt (no doubt at all) the best recorded version of "Rhiannon" we have; Stevie is really selling it and giving the audience no doubt that she belongs in this band. Lindsey's guitar playing is much more sporadic than in future tours; however, this concert hints at the true rock and roll performer and "guitarist supreme" he would become. John and Mick are incredibly tight on this recording. All of the live recordings with these deluxe editions have allowed for me to have a greater appreciation for John McVie's playing...the man is a master of his craft. And Christine...her piano and keyboard playing are stunning throughout this entire live set. As a piano player myself, I have always been drawn to Christine's work. This live recording has elevated my respect for her musicianship; the blues energy she gives in "Get Like You Used To Be," the rhythmic playing she provides in "Rhiannon," and the last minute of "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love" prove just how sophisticated and intelligent Christine McVie is as a keyboardist/pianist (not to mention her vocals throughout).

The live album is worth the price of admission here. Though I love the work on Rumours and beyond, it is nice to listen to this band without the mainstays that have so dominated their shows since 1975. Hearing the band play pre-Buckingham/Nicks material has allowed for me to focus on the actual playing that this band is capable of. I will no doubt be returning to the live set quite often.

I'm still exploring this edition. It's just so good.

The other time I saw Christine step up so much was during the BTM tour. She stole the show on that tour.

But her organ and keys on that live disk are sublime and incredible. The pace of Get Like You Used to Be is insane... not just her solo.. but after her solo during LB's guitar solo... she's killing it..
Old 02-23-2018, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
Well, I received my Amazon UK parcel yesterday and it was indeed smashed to bits, but fortunately the album was in a box within a box within the shipping box and is intact. We regularly order items from the UK and this box was quite a sight (won't order music from them again).
Haven't been posting much lately so I missed this.
Sorry to hear you had some similar problems as I
have had with them.

I have to admit even in the good ole' USA you can't
always depend on Amazon anymore. I would say
about half my packages aren't packaged well anymore.

The packaging material they used for my most recent
order matched what Melody Gardot's wearing on the
cover of her newest release. Nothing at all.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well after waiting forever this box finally arrived.
So well worth the wait! My fave box thus far, likely not to be topped. The surround mix is all I hoped for, the extended World Turning is great and hearing Lindsey's guitar orchestrations is just so enlightening...what a master.

So nice to hear them live without the Rumours war horses. I love Why.
The pic on the booklet of John acting like a spoilt child reaching for the ball Mick keeps out of reach ..tooo funny....should have been the pic of an inner sleeve