The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Ledgie's Pick the President (June 16' Edition)
Businessman Donald J. Trump (R) 7 22.58%
Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton (D) 19 61.29%
Governor Gary Johnson (L) 1 3.23%
Dr. Jill Stein (G) 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ View Post
You are such a big a Hillary supporter!
Yea. She reminds me of couple of Aunts and Mr Trump reminds me of my father with his tell it like it is attitude.

It looks like Bernie got North Dakota .

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-07-2016, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Donald trump has now secured 1237 regular delegates thereby securing the nomination without needing any "Super delegates" voting for him...
Old 06-07-2016, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Yea. She reminds me of couple of Aunts and Mr Trump reminds me of my father with his tell it like it is attitude.

It looks like Bernie got North Dakota .
Yes they finally gave ND to Bernie but they were quite slow in doing so.
It's funny how quickly they call it for Hillary if it looks like she's ahead.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Re 'the fix' being in against Bernie... it looks to me that even before Calif. Hillary had around 300 more regular delegates before any super-delegates. Also she has been with that party for decades whereas Bernie has only been elected as an independent not a democrat as I understand it. I don't call dems supporting a long term democrat a conspiracy.

It's amazing all the different ways states have in their processes so this may be why one state is awarded (projected) earlier than another for a leading candidate.

Whoever gets in I really hope the U.S. starts to put some real teeth into any fraud or robo calls and long wait times in certain areas and not in others. Plus all the map redrawing aka redistricting. It's all horrible stuff. Regulations and oversight are necessary things.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
Re 'the fix' being in against Bernie... it looks to me that even before Calif. Hillary had around 300 more regular delegates before any super-delegates. Also she has been with that party for decades whereas Bernie has only been elected as an independent not a democrat as I understand it. I don't call dems supporting a long term democrat a conspiracy.

It's amazing all the different ways states have in their processes so this may be why one state is awarded (projected) earlier than another for a leading candidate.

Whoever gets in I really hope the U.S. starts to put some real teeth into any fraud or robo calls and long wait times in certain areas and not in others. Plus all the map redrawing aka redistricting. It's all horrible stuff. Regulations and oversight are necessary things.
I am not a democrat or Clinton or Bernie supporter. But I don't understand all this whining coming from some Bernie supporters about a "fixed" system. The system can be rigged on both sides. However, Clinton beat Sanders by over 3 millions votes. Clinton beat Sanders in pledged delegates. Clinton beat Sanders in total number of states won. How is that a fix? Can you imagine if Bernie was nominated if he had millions of less votes and delegates? Then that surely would be a rigged system. I agree that super-delegates are a way of rigging the system so the establishment has a big voice. However, that does not take away what Clinton has won over Sanders.

On the republican side, Trump definitely beat a rigged system. Some states like Colorado had small conventions decide who won their delegates. It had nothing to do with the popular vote in the state. Now that is surely a rigged system.

I see you are from Canada. Its hard to explain but we Americans pick a president in an insane way. I believe in one person, one vote. We should have a national primary that has nothing to do with delegates. We should also repeal the electoral college. You only have to win the 10 most populated states to win. You could lose 40 states, the popular vote, and still win.

I live in Florida and in 2012 they tried to suppress the vote and created a 10 page ballot and cut voting times. I waited 2 hours to vote while others waited much longer. However, the efforts of the republicans to suppress the democratic vote backfired. It fired up democrats and the African-American turnout was higher than it was in 2008. That is almost impossible to believe since 2008 was the first African American nominated by a major party.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-08-2016 at 04:05 AM..
Old 06-08-2016, 05:12 AM
Registered

Hillary wins California, Bernie continues the fight...
Old 06-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Donald trump has now secured 1237 regular delegates thereby securing the nomination without needing any "Super delegates" voting for him...
As of 11AM this morning The Donald rang in at 1,536.So let see where this takes him if they going to contest it.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Yes they finally gave ND to Bernie but they were quite slow in doing so.
It's funny how quickly they call it for Hillary if it looks like she's ahead.
Yea .I see that but she got the nod to be the first woman to be nominated for president.I wonder if the Bernie protesters will now protest her since she won the nomination.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Registered

As mentioned before....

The way I had it was pretty organized... and if you read what I wrote, that was it! That was the last thread because now we know who will be on the ballet...

Please merge this thread with 2016 Presidential Election (#3)
Old 06-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
As mentioned before....

The way I had it was pretty organized... and if you read what I wrote, that was it! That was the last thread because now we know who will be on the ballet...

Please merge this thread with 2016 Presidential Election (#3)
I think what the reason this thread got started because the other 2 election threads were closed prematurely and members got POed and cant add and quote their posts like I tried to do the other day and found out it was closed.No offense .Sorry to say all 2016 election threads should be merged into this thread and it will tidy up the board .All will be under one roof if we look it up in the archive a year from now if we are still here or the internet is still up and running if you know who gets elected.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To keep this out of Olive's Urgent To Any One In Orlando Please thread.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0de73fe1abff

Terror in Orlando: 50 killed in shooting rampage at gay club; gunman pledged allegiance to ISIS
By Hayley Tsukayama, Adam Goldman, Peter Holley and Mark Berman June 12 at 3:02 PM
Eyewitnesses relive horrifying Orlando nightclub shooting
Play Video4:03
Police say approximately 50 people have been killed inside a Florida nightclub, and dozens more wounded after a gunman opened fire early Sunday, June 12. Six eyewitnesses explain what they saw. (The Washington Post)

ORLANDO — The gunman who opened fire inside a crowded nightclub here early Sunday morning, launching a rampage that killed 50 people and injured 53 others in the deadliest shooting spree in the country’s history, had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State before the attack, according to U.S. law enforcement officials.

President Obama said the FBI was investigating the shooting as an act of terrorism, an announcement he made about 12 hours after the gunfire began at Pulse, a popular gay bar and dance club.

“We know enough to say that this was an act of terror and an act of hate,” Obama said during remarks at the White House. “And as Americans, we are united in grief, in outrage, and in resolve to defend our people.”

Police said that after a first round of gunshots at 2 a.m., the shooter took hostages for about three hours, until officers who went inside to rescue these people killed the gunman in a shootout. It was not immediately clear if the death toll included the gunman.

The gunman, identified as 29-year-old Omar Mateen, apparently made a 911 call before the attack identifying himself and pledging allegiance to the leader of the Islamic State, according to U.S. law enforcement officials who asked not to be identified to discuss the ongoing investigation.

Mateen also made a reference to the 2013 bombing of the Boston Marathon during this call, officials said. Much like Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older of the two brothers who carried out that attack, Mateen had been the focus of an FBI investigation. Officials said Mateen was investigated by the FBI in 2014, but what triggered the probe and its scope were not immediately clear. The probe was closed the same year.

In a message Sunday, the Islamic State appeared to take credit for the attack, but it remains unclear if the gunman had any connections to the group or if they had any prior knowledge.

[‘It was just complete chaos’: Survivors of Orlando massacre recall desperate struggle to stay alive]

Police had said earlier Sunday that 20 people were killed before saying that the toll was significantly higher. Until Sunday, the 2007 rampage at Virginia Tech — which saw 32 people killed and 30 others injured — was the country’s worst mass shooting.

Orlando Police Chief John Mina said that the toll from this latest mass slaughter could have been even greater, saying that a SWAT team “rescued at least 30 possible victims and brought them to safety.” Police said they were not able to say if all of the people killed or injured were shot during the initial burst of gunfire at 2 a.m. or during the shootout with police three hours later.

“It’s absolutely terrible,” Mina said during a news briefing. “Fifty victims in one location, one shooting, is absolutely one of the worst tragedies we’ve seen.”

In the aftermath of the shooting, officials said many things remained unknown, including:

Details about a possible motivation for the gunman and more about his background.
The final death toll.
Identities of all of the people killed and injured.
A clearer timeline of what happened inside the club and when all of the victims were injured.

While authorities have not publicly identified the gunman, law enforcement officials and relatives on Sunday identified him.

[Ex-wife of suspected Orlando shooter: ‘He beat me’]
A photo of Omar Mateen taken from his MySpace page. (MySpace)

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), ranking member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, said he was briefed Sunday and told that local law enforcement officials said the gunman had “declared his allegiance to ISIS.”

A U.S. official said that Department of Homeland Security reports being circulated to government authorities are “referring to local law enforcement reports saying the shooter pledged loyalty to ISIS and was heard praying in another language in the nightclub.”

Just after a husband and wife killed 14 people last December in a terror attack in San Bernardino, Calif., one of the shooters went on Facebook and pledged her allegiance to the emir of the Islamic State, a militant group also known as ISIS or ISIL. Officials later said the posting was made on behalf of both attackers.

The group said in a message posted Sunday by the Islamic State-linked Amaq News Agency that the Orlando shooting “was carried out by an Islamic State fighter.” The same news agency had released a message showing the Islamic State claiming some credit for the San Bernardino attack two days after that occurred, while Amaq posted a statement from the group asserting responsibility for the Brussels attacks in March within hours.

The Islamic State has repeatedly executed gay people and then released videos showing these gruesome executions.

Ron Hopper of the FBI, the bureau leading the investigation, said Sunday they were still working to determine a motive. Hopper said officials had not found any indications of outside help, and added that they were confident there were no additional threats.

[Live updates on the Orlando shooting]

Also on Sunday, a man was detained in Santa Monica, Calif., by police while possessing weapons and dangerous material, police said. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said that they were investigating any possible link between this man and a Gay Pride Parade and Festival in West Hollywood on Sunday, though they added that there have been “no specific or credible threats” in the Los Angeles area.

Mateen’s ex-wife said that he was abusive, saying in an interview Sunday that he beat her repeatedly during their marriage. She said that during their brief marriage, Mateen, who was Muslim, was not very religious and gave no indications that he was devoted to radical Islam. (Mateen was from Fort Pierce, which is also where Moner Mohammad Abusalha, the first American to carry out a suicide attack in Syria, had lived in Florida.)

Mina said it appeared the gunman was armed with “a handgun and an AR-15-type assault rifle” and had additional rounds on him.

“It appears he was organized and well-prepared,” Mina said during another briefing.

An AR-15 is the civilian variant of the military M-16 rifle. It is one of the most popular weapons in the United States and can be customized with a variety of accessories including different grips and sights. A standard magazine for it carries about 30 bullets.

[Obama, others decry Orlando nightclub shooting as it reignites political debate]

A number of federal agencies were participating in a massive law enforcement response to the shooting in Orlando, authorities said. On Sunday afternoon, Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch, who had been scheduled to attend a meeting in Beijing on cyber-security, said she was returning to Washington so she could monitor the ongoing investigation.

“We stand with the people of Orlando, who have endured a terrible attack on their city,” Obama said during a statement he made at the White House after meeting with FBI Director James Comey.

Obama said it was too early to know “the precise motivations of the killer,” but he said the FBI would investigate any possible links the gunman had to terrorist groups.

During his remarks Sunday afternoon, Obama — echoing comments he has made during numerous other statements given after shooting rampages — said the bloodshed in Orlando served as a reminder of how easily people can obtain guns in the United States. Pope Francis also expressed deep “horror and condemnation” of the shooting on Sunday, according to the Associated Press.

Obama also signed a proclamation honoring the victims and ordering that American flags be flown at half-staff until sunset on Thursday.

“We’re dealing with something we never imagined and is unimaginable,” Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer (D) said during a news briefing Sunday.

Dyer said he had issued a state of emergency in the city, while Gov. Rick Scott (R) said he was issuing a similar order for surrounding Orange County and called the shooting “clearly an act of terror.”
The scene in Orlando after a gunman opened fire at a nightclub
View Photos
Officials say at least 50 people were killed and dozens more were injured in the shooting.

Details about Mateen’s background were scarce on Sunday morning. His family is from Afghanistan, while Mateen is believed to have been born in the United States. His father hosted a political television show in Afghanistan and, in one video, declared his candidacy for the Afghan presidency.

“I unequivocally condemn the horrific attack in Orlando, Florida, USA. Nothing can justify killing of civilians,” Afghan President Ashraf Ghani wrote on Twitter. “My sympathies and thoughts are with the families of the victims, the American people and the US government.”

One relative said that Mateen’s family was in shock after being told on Sunday morning about his involvement. This relative said Mateen’s family was very sorry about what had happened.

“We had a crime that will have a lasting effect on our community,” Dyer said. “We need to stand strong, we need to be supportive of the victims and their families.”

Police said that during the shootout with the gunman, one Orlando police officer was shot and saved by his Kevlar helmet.

Numerous people injured were taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center, which was locked down Sunday morning along with two other hospitals. OneBlood, a foundation with blood collection centers throughout the southeast, put out a call for donors after the shooting.

While many people sharing the call on social media reported that OneBlood is allowing all gay men who to donate — going against Food and Drug Administration guidelines — a spokesman for the foundation said that’s not true and that it was adhering to longstanding federal restriction on gay men from donating blood. (While the Food and Drug Administration recently updated its guidelines to allow men who have not had sex with another man within a year’s time to donate blood, the spokesman said OneBlood’s system hasn’t been updated to allow that yet.)

The horrific incident began as Saturday gave way to Sunday at the crowded club. Around 2 a.m., Pulse Orlando posted an urgent message on Facebook: “Everyone get out of pulse and keep running.”
Video captures sound of rapid gunfire during Orlando nightclub shooting
Play Video0:50
Social media shared video and pictures from the area surrounding Pulse nightclub in Orlando, where a gunman killed at least 50 people and injured dozens of others on Sunday, June 12. (Monica Akhtar/The Washington Post)

Within minutes of the shooting, police vehicles and a SWAT team descended on the club.

“I was there,” Ricardo J. Negron posted on the club’s Facebook page several hours later. “Shooter opened fire @ around 2:00am. People on the dance floor and bar got down on the floor and some of us who were near the bar and back exit managed to go out through the outdoor area and just ran. I am safely home and hoping everyone gets home safely as well.”

An officer working at the club exchanged fire with the gunman, authorities said. It was then, according to police, that the incident developed into “a hostage situation.” Authorities said the man was armed with an “suspicious device,” in addition to his guns, Mina, the police chief, told reporters.

“The decision was made to rescue hostages that were in there,” Mina said.

Police later reported that a sound heard at the club was a “controlled explosion.”

Jon Alamo told the Associated Press that he was near the back of the club when the gunman appeared near the front of the building.

“I heard 20, 40, 50 shots,” Alamo said. “The music stopped.”

Several neighbors from the quiet neighborhood around the club stood in clumps on the street on Sunday morning, hugging and consoling each other as many teared up as they came to terms with the idea that the shooting happened on their doorstep.

Joshua and Mary Zika live less than a block from the nightclub, and say they’ve never had any problems with the club before. “It might sound weird to have a nightclub in the middle of a residential neighborhood,” Mary Zika said.

They say they didn’t hear any shots or notice anything out of the ordinary, because helicopters are often heard in the area due to the nearby hospital. Instead, they found out about it from the news, reading and watching in disbelief as they realized this had happened just outside their door.

Both said they were particularly appalled that the shooter had appeared to target this particular population.

“We’re proud of our gay community in Orlando,” Mary Zika said.

[50 Years of Mass Shootings]

Rob Rick said the violence erupted in Pulse as the night was winding down. “Everybody was drinking their last sip,” he said.

Rick told the AP that he estimated more than 100 people were still inside when the shooting began. He hit the ground and crawled toward a DJ booth, he said. Some people managed to escape out of the back of the club after a bouncer knocked down a partition between the club area and a restricted area leading to an exit, he noted.

Mina Justice told the AP that her son, Eddie, texted her when the rampage began and asked her to call police.

From the AP:

He told her he ran into a bathroom with other club patrons to hide.

He then texted her: “He’s coming.”

“The next text said: ‘He has us, and he’s in here with us,'” she said. “That was the last conversation.”

The early-Sunday rampage followed the fatal shooting Friday night of a pop singer who was killed while signing autographs following a performance at an Orlando concert venue. Christina Grimmie, a 22-year-old singer who was a finalist on NBC’s show “The Voice,” died hours after being shot by a gunman who then shot himself, police said.

Today's Headlines newsletter

The day's most important stories.

Police cars and fire trucks outside Pulse, an Orlando nightclub where a suspected gunman left multiple people dead and injured. (Orlando Police Department/Handout via Reuters)

Goldman, Holley and Berman reported from Washington. Souad Mekhennet, Ariana Eunjung Cha, Greg Miller, Joby Warrick, Tim Craig, Sarah Larimer and Thomas Gibbons-Neff contributed to this report, which has been updated multiple times and will continue to be updated.

Further reading:

The controversy over whether gay men should be able to donate blood after Orlando shooting

The key things to know about guns and mass shootings in the U.S.
Comments are now closed. We turn off the comments on stories dealing with personal loss, tragedies or other sensitive topics. For more details, please see our our discussion guidelines

washingtonpost.com
© 1996-2016 The Washington Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the dems want to open borders to let everybody in and including the unchecked refugees .

Old 06-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agreeing with this guy more and more lately.

https://youtu.be/wndro2RxXhU

Old 06-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I agreeing with this guy more and more lately.

https://youtu.be/wndro2RxXhU
fear mongers are a huge problem in this country
Old 06-12-2016, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And here is your answer...

Did you miss it? Because I did...Didn't hear him say "Muslim Terrorist" or "Islamic Radical"

Same thing with the San Bernardino terrorist attack several months ago...

Donald Trump has a point... Why can't he call it a "Muslim Terrorist Attack"?

It's also interesting that Obama did not attend any of the San Bernardino funerals but he was able to make it to Hawaii to play golf and a few weeks later he did forego a visit to the Taj Mahal during his visit to India in order to pay respects in Saudi Arabia after the death of King Abdullah...Makes you wonder where his loyalties lie...
Old 06-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Barack Obama always seems to respond to these sorts of events extremely well- it can't be easy having to reflect on mass killings on a regular basis. He is always humbling, sensitive and has the ability to set the right tone.

On this occasion this particular nut-job used an AR15 assault rifle which happens to be owned by nearly 4 million US households. How many other disturbed people are there out there that have access to this weapon alone? Crazy, absolutely crazy.
Closed Thread