Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Singer Michelle Shocked's Anti-Gay Rant

All I can say is that I am...shocked... I've been a casual fan of Michelle for almost 15 years, but have never followed her closely.

She has some great songs, but I'll probably not be listening to her much after this!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular

Singer Michelle Shocked, who was most popular in the '80s and '90s, went on a homophobic tirade over the weekend in San Francisco, much to the surprise of the audience watching her performance.

It all went down Sunday night at Yoshi's, a San Francisco jazz club and restaurant. When she first took to the stage, things were fine; but during her second set, Shocked launched into an anti-gay rant.

"I live in fear," Shocked said, as reported by SFist, "that the world will be destroyed if gays are allowed to marry."

"You can go on Twitter and say Michelle Shocked said ‘God hates fags,'" the 51-year-old alternative-funk musician told the crowd, according to Queerty.

Concert-goer Matt Penfield, who was on stage live-tweeting the concert for Shocked, was appalled. He described her diatribe as "totally sincere," "super anti-gay" and "hateful."

According to the Village Voice, the audience cleared out in horror.

A tweet sent from Shocked's verified Twitter account appeared to reference the incident:
@MShocked
Truth is leading to painful confrontation #shortsharpshocked

In 1990, Shocked opened up about coming out and having a relationship with a woman. But the born-again Christian's tune changed a decade later when she denied all gay labels. Shocked has since referred to herself as the "world's greatest homophobe," according to the Best of New Orleans blog.

In a 2008 interview with LGBT publication The Dallas Voice, Shocked seemed to be grappling with her feelings.

"According to my Bible, which I didn’t write, homosexuality is immoral. But homosexuality is no more less a sin than fornication. And I’m a fornicator with a capital F," she told the Voice."I like the sound of being called an honorary lesbian and the comparisons to black disco divas. But right now, I’m a dug-in-the-heels fundamentalist who’s not too happy about it."

The singer is set to continue a tour of the West Coast and Europe. Her next show scheduled for March 23 in Santa Monica, Calif.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Supporting Ledgie

^How bizarre. It almost sounds sarcastic.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
^How bizarre. It almost sounds sarcastic.
I thought that too - I considered her past, that she was in San Francisco, and wondered if there was supposed to be sarcasm or humor that just wasn't coming across - but it sounds like she was sincere when you consider her tweet *and* the fact that the audience cleared out and she didn't say "Hey, I'm kidding." or something like that.

So bizarre. Hearing this from/about Michele Shocked is one of the weirdest things I can recall in recent memory.

Her songs have been stuck in my head all morning.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't want to get anything started by posting this, but in the bible, while it does say something about being gay is sinful, it also says that you are to be accepting of others and treat them as you want to be treated( Do unto others as you do unto yourself).

You're supposed to hate the sin, not the sinner. I, myself, am a Christian, a laid back one, but still I am one. Personally, I don't know any gay folks, but still if I did, I'd treat them the same as I do my friends. I am a tomboy;I dress like a boy/man, but I want people to treat like they would if I was the girliest girly girl on the planet. Thats what I think most gay people want, as well.

. I apologize for the rant, but stuff like that boils my blood. I hate when Christians use the bible as a tool against people. If you do that, then you''re going against God.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I thought that too - I considered her past, that she was in San Francisco, and wondered if there was supposed to be sarcasm or humor that just wasn't coming across - but it sounds like she was sincere when you consider her tweet *and* the fact that the audience cleared out and she didn't say "Hey, I'm kidding." or something like that.

So bizarre. Hearing this from/about Michele Shocked is one of the weirdest things I can recall in recent memory.

Her songs have been stuck in my head all morning.
I think her sh***y music alone would have made me clear out of the room. I would have actually been mildly entertained by her anti-gay rant. I love watching a ranting/raving hot mess having a meltdown in public.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
Personally, I don't know any gay folks
Well, welcome to The Ledge baby. I'd say 90% of us are Gay.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
I don't want to get anything started by posting this, but in the bible, while it does say something about being gay is sinful
I don't want to get anything started either, but I'll point you in the right direction... It's in Leviticus ch 18 and ch 20.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I think her sh***y music alone would have made me clear out of the room.
Declaring an entire career sh*t? I'm sure you're familiar with every toon.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Well, welcome to The Ledge baby. I'd say 90% of us are Gay.
Just what are you insinuating?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Registered

never heard of her , a lot of my friends listen to her any way She was having a break down , she has been from what i read a mess and it it came to a head while on stage .

Mental heath issues are offend over looked or laughed at or worse belittled , I hope she is getting the help she needs
Old 03-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Registered

[QUOTE\. I, myself, am a Christian, a laid back one, but still I am one. Personally, I don't know any gay folks,
.[/QUOTE]

you probably do , but they are not out to you.

we all know someone they may just unfortunately be ashamed or trapped in a sham marriage .
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, I did work with her, one time, doing her monitors...

While she seemed okay, then entire day was just a f*cking nightmare. Her husband, Bart, was her tour manager. The man was an absolute NUTJOB. We walked on pins and needles all day long, because he was truly psycho! Fortunately, my fellow soundman who was running FOH, isn't as kind and quiet as I am(believe it or not! lol), and didn't kiss Bart's ass, so when Bart finally went psychotic, "the other sound guy" caught all the holy hell! Which ended in a VERY tense meeting in the production office! Again, I came off as fairly innocent for the day, so I got to sit there and watch my coworker kiss Bart's ass, and literally beg his forgiveness(or Bart was going to cancel the show, a couple hours before doors). And my coworker hadn't really done anything wrong, only state opinions that Bart didn't like.

Okay, so none of this has any bearing on her anti-gay statement, but I shared it, just to show the circle of insanity she was living in....
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And, her brother was in Wilco.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never heard of her.....but Her ignorance abounds.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I consider myself a Christian ..a practicing Roman Catholic but it never ceases to amaze me how hateful some people become when they are "born again"There is nothing Christian at all about this woman's behavior.