Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ask HejiraNYC

What is on your mind? What is keeping you up at night? Ask HejiraNYC.

Relationship issues? School issues? Career issues? Health issues? Financial issues? Technology issues? It's all good. Ask HejiraNYC.

Need an opinion? Design, fashion, art, literature, music? Ask HejiraNYC.

What are my qualifications? Plenty, that is, unless you are into degrees and learnin' and stuff. In that case, nada. But, hey, my advice is free, so you get what you pay for. And what's cheaper than free?

Ask me anything. You can talk to me.

Bonus points for you if you can tell I am exquisitely bored at work today.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hejira, I'm in the market for a new car. What do you think of the 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring wagon?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hejira, I'm in the market for a new car. What do you think of the 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring wagon?
At the price point it is absolutely the best bang for the buck. Hyundai is no longer the cheap bag o' bolts from the eighties that would stall every time it rained. Althought it is still far from pioneering, Hyundai now stands eye-to-eye with its Japanese peers. So given the reliability, the decent fuel economy and the option to buy a manual transmission, I'd say it's a winner for anyone looking for basic transportation. It's no p***y magnet, but you'd be hard pressed to find one in that price range.

Another option: The Nissan Versa. Absolutely my favorite small car.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh this is brilliant!

Do you think a BA in English is a useless degree? Would I be wasting my time and money pursuing one? I have no interest or aptitude in math, science, or business.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Oh this is brilliant!

Do you think a BA in English is a useless degree? Would I be wasting my time and money pursuing one? I have no interest or aptitude in math, science, or business.
The Great Recession of 2007 has been the great leveler in terms of the true value of a college education. In many ways, job-seekers with non-technical degrees have suffered the worst in the downturn, which lead many to question the value of attending expensive private elite liberal arts colleges for degrees that are not likely to lead jobs that will be enable students to pay back student loans in the tens of thousands of dollars. Anecodotes about un-/under-employed college graduates are abundant in the mainstream media.

It all depends on your intentions in pursuing a BA in English. If this is just for setting a foundation for higher levels of learning and graduate school, it should be okay. If you are planning on teaching and/or attaining tenure at an academic institution, it should be an okay stepping stone. If you don't have to worry about money, and pursuing a degree in English is personally gratifying for you, then it is definitely worthwhile. However, if this is for landing a lucrative income right out of school, the decks are stacked against you in this economy.

In any event, a degree is a degree. And degrees most definitely open doors. However, that being said, if you plan to go no further with your education, you should consider areas of specialization that complement your educational background, and you should pursue internships or some kind of part-time entry level work in these areas.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
However, that being said, if you plan to go no further with your education, you should consider areas of specialization that complement your educational background, and you should pursue internships or some kind of part-time entry level work in these areas.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. What educational background?

I couldn't care less about making a crapload of money. I just want to find a job that I don't hate and won't want to quit in six months.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. What educational background?

I couldn't care less about making a crapload of money. I just want to find a job that I don't hate and won't want to quit in six months.
Then the question is whether you can pursue the line of work that you "don't hate" with or without a BA in English. If the answer is "yes," then perhaps it's time to reconsider the value of pursuing a degree full time. If you enter a line of work that requires accrued levels of experience and expertise, e.g., a corporate job, then you should start pursuing that job immediately; a degree can come later.

If you are pursuing a degree in English, consider the types of fields that would benefit from this background. An obvious area would seem to be in the area of media- web content, editorial work, advertising, publicity, etc.

At the end of the day, regardless of your educational track, you need to figure out what you really want to do with your career. Do you have any ideas at all?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
If you are pursuing a degree in English, consider the types of fields that would benefit from this background. An obvious area would seem to be in the area of media- web content, editorial work, advertising, publicity, etc.
I'm not married to the idea of a BA in English - I just figured it'd be better if I had a degree in something, and I'm not interested in being an engineer or doing some kind of smarmy MBA thing.

Quote:
At the end of the day, regardless of your educational track, you need to figure out what you really want to do with your career. Do you have any ideas at all?
I thought I wanted to be a graphic designer for a while, but now I don't. And other than that, I've got nothing. All I really know is that I can't keep doing these crappy office jobs...I have no tolerance whatsoever for office politics, placating people's egos, or pretending to like people when I can't stand them (which is virtually impossible for me to do anyway).

I heard somebody say once that he thought he wanted a career, but it turns out he just wants a paycheck. That's more or less the way I feel. An awful lot of people just love to work, and they'd do it even if they didn't have to. I don't, and I wouldn't.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Now that you've opened this door, I'm so sending you a PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My most important question: when are we hanging out?

But I empathize with workplace boredom, so here are a few just for the heck of it--

A good summer read you'd recommend?

What fashion mistake do you think women make most often?

Thoughts on tall women dating short men? I'm 5'8" and utterly infatuated with a 5'6" boy. Yea or nay?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So inquisitive! I shall address these one at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
My most important question: when are we hanging out?
Very important indeed! I have summer hours at work :happydance: , so I am usually at my house before sunset on Friday (yes, I take my time getting out there). When do you start croquet lessons with Kip and Tiffany?

Quote:
But I empathize with workplace boredom, so here are a few just for the heck of it--

A good summer read you'd recommend?
I've been slowly chewing on "The Manny" by Holly Peterson. It's such light reading that it almost needs a paperweight to stay in place. Perfect for a braindead summer afternoon at the beach (Gin Lane!).

Quote:
What fashion mistake do you think women make most often?
I know there are a number of fashion trends that I find ghastly, e.g., rompers and harem pants. But fortunately they are not seen very frequently. Other than those, I think the biggest general mistake that women make is the presumed assumption (and I'm talking to you too, Stevie) that black is thinning and flattering. This is simply not true. Fit and fabric (and perhaps the right foundation garment) are ultimately the most important factors that affect the perception of slimness. Black tends to wash out most skin tones and does not allow much in the way of texture and detail. Yes, the little black dress will always be a classic, but it only works in the right context and with the right accessories. On its own it is a bit mundane. Color is your friend.

Quote:
Thoughts on tall women dating short men? I'm 5'8" and utterly infatuated with a 5'6" boy. Yea or nay?
I'm all for it. Sonny and Cher. Betty and Barney Rubble. Mel and Susan Tillis. Iman and David Bowie. All good. The key thing to remember is that we are all the same height in bed. Who cares what others think? If anything it shows the world that you are not fixated on the superficial notions that other women tend to ascribe to. It takes a person of exceptional personal conviction (and exquisite taste!) to date a short man. And I'm not saying that just because I'm short. Okay... well... maybe.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ed, will Stevie play Red Rocks on her upcoming late summer tour? ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Ed, will Stevie play Red Rocks on her upcoming late summer tour? ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!
Okay, I should clarify that I am not psychic. NEXT!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's appearing that the 2012 Presidential Election will be between Romney & Obama. Who do you think America will choose? Do you think minorities (especially African Americans) will come out in force again to cast their vote for Obama, or has the novelty worn off?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post

Ask me anything. You can talk to me.
Why does Diet Dr. Pepper taste more like regular Dr. Pepper?

No seriously. I had a nightmare with Michael Keaton in it a few nights ago. I was at my aunts house (a place I've not been in over 15 years) and we were sitting on the sofa talking. At some point Keaton stopped talking to me and quickly left the room. Then I ran to the bathroom, looked in the mirror and I was this freakish looking monster. What do you think it means? Personally I think it's the pizza I ate the night beforehand...