Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lesser of 2 evils

What do you think is worse? Someone voting without having a real clue about what the candidates views & plans are, or not voting BECAUSE they feel they aren't informed enough to make the decision.

Ordinarily, I would say it's almost worst to vote if you don't know why you're voting for someone. BUT, the way things are now, I feel that the last 2 elections went the way they did because lots of people didn't bother. I'd rather have someone say "I'll vote for any democratic candidate" and do it instead of not vote at all. Of course, if someone says "I'm voting Republican no matter who it is" they can keep their ass at home.

Seriously, though, how do you feel? And does anyone know of a good website that clearly explains the candidates' views on & plans for important issues? Anyone?
Old 01-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
What do you think is worse? Someone voting without having a real clue about what the candidates views & plans are, or not voting BECAUSE they feel they aren't informed enough to make the decision.
Interesting question. However, I don't consider either one of those situations to be an evil -- not in the slightest. The typical gaggle of candidates in both major parties don't clarify opinions -- theirs or anyone else's. They merely offer platitudes, slogans & vagueness. It's unfair to expect anyone, never mind the serious followers of campaigns, to understand just which candidate wants what or doesn't want what. Candidates market themselves for a solid year the way movie stars market themselves, so it's hardly surprising if the majority of the populace picks & chooses based on who was more entertaining.

As for not voting, I consider that a perfectly legitimate -- & indeed sensible -- prerogative in a free republic like this. There are many reasons why you might not vote: disgust with candidates, accident on voting day, sheer lassitude. Voting is a right. If you choose not to exercise it, it's nobody else's business. That's my stand.

Quote:
Seriously, though, how do you feel? And does anyone know of a good website that clearly explains the candidates' views on & plans for important issues? Anyone?
Offhand, I don't. That may be part of the whole "problem"! Politics -- particularly national politics -- is a football game, a media circus. The belligerent, yapping pundits alone will drive you nuts. In other words, it's actually politicking (the sleazy scramble after power & influence) rather than politics (the reasoned enquiry into the nature & possibility of wise government).

Them's my views.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.issues2000.org/default.htm

This one is well organized, and provides you with links to the actual candidate quotes from which the analysis was derived. I've seen several other sites without supporting info.

This is definitely shaping up to be an exciting election. I saw a report last night that because of the current primary/caucus results, it is mathematically impossible for the Super Tuesday primaries (Feb. 5th) to decide the nominee for each party. So those of us in states with primaries afterwards - TX is March 4th - get to keep thinking our vote matters!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...ate-math_N.htm
Old 01-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, I live in Texas, and although I voted in 2000 and 2004, I never voted in a primary. Um. . . did they even have them in those years in Texas? Or were the races for the two nominations over by the time it got to Texas?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Interesting question. However, I don't consider either one of those situations to be an evil -- not in the slightest. The typical gaggle of candidates in both major parties don't clarify opinions -- theirs or anyone else's. They merely offer platitudes, slogans & vagueness. It's unfair to expect anyone, never mind the serious followers of campaigns, to understand just which candidate wants what or doesn't want what. Candidates market themselves for a solid year the way movie stars market themselves, so it's hardly surprising if the majority of the populace picks & chooses based on who was more entertaining.

As for not voting, I consider that a perfectly legitimate -- & indeed sensible -- prerogative in a free republic like this. There are many reasons why you might not vote: disgust with candidates, accident on voting day, sheer lassitude. Voting is a right. If you choose not to exercise it, it's nobody else's business. That's my stand.

Offhand, I don't. That may be part of the whole "problem"! Politics -- particularly national politics -- is a football game, a media circus. The belligerent, yapping pundits alone will drive you nuts. In other words, it's actually politicking (the sleazy scramble after power & influence) rather than politics (the reasoned enquiry into the nature & possibility of wise government).

Them's my views.
Good points, all of them. To clarify, I used the term "evil" loosely, just a figure of speech. Maybe I should have said "which is more lazy" or "what's the dumber thing to do?" But, then I read your post & it makes me realize that people who make either choice are not necessarily dumb OR lazy - maybe they're just confused, or frustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed View Post
http://www.issues2000.org/default.htm

This one is well organized, and provides you with links to the actual candidate quotes from which the analysis was derived. I've seen several other sites without supporting info.

This is definitely shaping up to be an exciting election. I saw a report last night that because of the current primary/caucus results, it is mathematically impossible for the Super Tuesday primaries (Feb. 5th) to decide the nominee for each party. So those of us in states with primaries afterwards - TX is March 4th - get to keep thinking our vote matters!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...ate-math_N.htm
Thanks for the links, hon! EDIT: Wow, I just checked out the first link - that's exactly what I was looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
Yes, I live in Texas, and although I voted in 2000 and 2004, I never voted in a primary. Um. . . did they even have them in those years in Texas? Or were the races for the two nominations over by the time it got to Texas?

I've never voted in a primary either - when I was younger I didn't understand them & that I could actually participate, and later I was one of those "any democrat" people. Now, I want to make an educated decision & I definitely plan on voting in the primary (or causus or whatever the hell they call it here.....)

Last edited by skcin; 01-28-2008 at 03:54 PM..
Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

this is a really good question. ideally it's great to know all the issues and where the canidates stand on them. i think most people go on pure emotion - you either feel a connection to a canidate or not. i guess i would rather people vote then not vote at all.
maybe just vote your party is better than being apathetic.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The latter. Do not vote if you have no idea WTF you're doing. Our country is messed up as it is. Blind help is not needed.

In this day and age, it is very easy to gather information on the web (candidates websites are a good start) to decide which presidential candidate gets your support. Obviously they can only offer their opinions on current issues (things change as time goes on and when their in office), but you can also get a vibe as to their experience level since they began in politics and what time of choices they have made in the past.

The one who talks the smoothest, looks the best, and has a nice smile is not a good reason to vote for them. But alas, I fear many people go off that superficial vibe in casting their wayward vote.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This questions more than the obvious IMO. People will vote for Obama because he is black - South Carolina proved that. I cannot say I blame them. Ditto for Hillary and women - the primaries are proving that. On the R side, the situation is the same. People cannot vote for a pro choice and/or gay sympathetic person. They can be down the line conservative in fiscal policy, but the loathing of anti-Jesus baby muerders and faggot lovers is too much to overcome. So, I think party line voters are in a little trouble in this upcoming election - or, at least in the primaries.

Personally, I think that anyone who things Obama can or wants to make significant changes is deluding themselves. His actions to date and the people he surrounds himself with in his campaign prove my point ( http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-t..._a_lobb_1.html ). But, he is intelligent, energetic, and inspiring, not to mention electrifyingly charismatic - so, I think people are beguiled by that. I am not saying I do not think he would be a good President. I think he would. And, I will vote for him against anything the R's have now. But, call it the jaded voice of experience, Obama's seemingly earnest claim that he is the avenue for significant change is bogus. Put it this way, since I have been alive, every single President has been the candidate for BIG change and the lobbyist still run Washington and Big Oil's a$$ is wiped by the Congress.

So, I think both scenarios you posit will happen and they are equally was awful. But, it is what it is and in the end, you have to vote for the candidate you like. In this particular election, that will be divided on Christian, race, and gender lines - and IMO regardless of the actual effectiveness of any candidate.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:

Ordinarily, I would say it's almost worst to vote if you don't know why you're voting for someone. BUT, the way things are now, I feel that the last 2 elections went the way they did because lots of people didn't bother. I'd rather have someone say "I'll vote for any democratic candidate" and do it instead of not vote at all. Of course, if someone says "I'm voting Republican no matter who it is" they can keep their ass at home.

I feel not voting is the greater of the 2 evils. It's a privilege that we live in a country where we can choose our leaders (even if it's an illusion...)
Old 01-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
This questions more than the obvious IMO. People will vote for Obama because he is black - South Carolina proved that. I cannot say I blame them. Ditto for Hillary and women - the primaries are proving that. On the R side, the situation is the same. People cannot vote for a pro choice and/or gay sympathetic person. They can be down the line conservative in fiscal policy, but the loathing of anti-Jesus baby muerders and faggot lovers is too much to overcome. So, I think party line voters are in a little trouble in this upcoming election - or, at least in the primaries.

Personally, I think that anyone who things Obama can or wants to make significant changes is deluding themselves. His actions to date and the people he surrounds himself with in his campaign prove my point ( http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-t..._a_lobb_1.html ). But, he is intelligent, energetic, and inspiring, not to mention electrifyingly charismatic - so, I think people are beguiled by that. I am not saying I do not think he would be a good President. I think he would. And, I will vote for him against anything the R's have now. But, call it the jaded voice of experience, Obama's seemingly earnest claim that he is the avenue for significant change is bogus. Put it this way, since I have been alive, every single President has been the candidate for BIG change and the lobbyist still run Washington and Big Oil's a$$ is wiped by the Congress.

So, I think both scenarios you posit will happen and they are equally was awful. But, it is what it is and in the end, you have to vote for the candidate you like. In this particular election, that will be divided on Christian, race, and gender lines - and IMO regardless of the actual effectiveness of any candidate.
A few comments on the race thing. It's definitely a factor, whether people want to admit it or not. But let's all remember, Obama is black AND white. People will say "well, he represents himself as black." To those that don't know his family history, they look at him & say "he's black." I'm sure he has experienced discrimination from BOTH races at some point in his lifetime, but I'd be willing to bet more from racist whites. I think he identifies with the black community because of this, and because of the work he did in Chicago. However, he has never tried to deny his white family - he is what he is. If you've never read his first book, it's very interesting. As far as his "change" campaign, I don't know if there was anything else he could have done to combat the "lack of experience" argument.

Now. As much of a factor as it is, I really, truly hope that black people are NOT voting for him JUST because he's half black. I'm hoping that the women voting for Hillary are NOT voting for her JUST because she's a woman. And most of all, I hope that the white males are not voting for Edwards cuz he's the only white guy. I have heard that the majority of blacks are democrats - is this true? If so, would they vote for a black republican candidate in the general election? Do you think they would cross party lines just to vote for "one of their own?" I hope not. I hope people stay true to who they are & what they believe.

Of course, we all want "one of our own" to succeed, whether it's someone of the same sex, race, from the same geographic location, similar backgrounds, whatever. But I hope people use that as a guide to help them START their research, not as the sole basis for their vote. If that were the case, I would have to vote for Hillary, the white female NY senator - but I don't know if I'm going to do that, because I haven't done enough research to decide. I don't think it's the right thing to do.

I read something scary the other day in the local paper - there are many people (especially in the black community) who do NOT want Obama to get elected. Why? They think if he is, he'll be assasinated within the first year. Reading that shocked me, then scared me. Now I'm angry & sad - that this could be a reality, that someone in this nation could be so hateful that they would kill our president if he weren't white.

My God. The thing that pisses me off most is that they're RIGHT! There really are people that ignorant & hateful! In a country that voted Bush in AGAIN, we expect everyone to be open minded & trustful enough of a BLACK man to allow him to lead & represent our nation? I'm worried.

Strand,

Tell me about the good old days, will ya? I'm too young to remember......

No really, I know what you mean. Every politician is going to promise change, better days, blah blah blah. BUT, the way you describe it, it sure bolsters the "Why vote at all? Nothing will ever change. They're all a bunch of crooks...." argument.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . BUT, the way you describe it, it sure bolsters the "Why vote at all? Nothing will ever change. They're all a bunch of crooks...." argument.
Scary isn't it.

But, I say voting is still important because of the "imagine how much worse it could be" argument. I'd take four years of Hillary and her "centrist" if not triangulation path over four years of any R out there. I mean imagine four years under Huckabee and his inability to sep. church and state So, that is why it is important.

I am just saying that people who think that electing Obama will result in huge changes are IMO misguided. Again, why would Obama have all those lobbyist working on his campaign? The answer is he will be beholden to them regardless of whether he took money from them.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think SMASH THE STATE!!!!! Anarchy and survival of the fittest in the STREETS! Break stuff and light **** on FIRE!

Heh. Anyway. While I do wish that we could dismantle the government, that obviously will not work. So, seriously speaking, I have to say that I wish people who only based their votes on party lines.. or names they've heard.. would stay at home, but if you live here, you deserve the right to cast your ballot, even if you are an effing moron. A "basic knowledge" test showing that said voter understands basic principals of how the government is set up would be good for weeding out some of the uninformed/uneducated BS, but it's not going to happen, and it's not really fair to say the ignorants don't deserve the right to their opinions. We may not like it, but it's true. They live here and pay taxes. Sure, it screws over the rest of us, but nothing else in life is really fair, either. Any amount of analysis and bitching won't change it.

My basic rule is that if you are a twisted and power-hungry enough that you want to be the "leader of the free world", I don't like you. So, yeah, it really is just voting for the lesser of two evils. But more than that, I think the real problems of the nation lie in the house and senate. Our forefathers really ****ed us over by not setting term limits there. Throw out the bums! Presidents are just puppets anyway.

Last edited by Sarah; 01-29-2008 at 03:30 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
A few comments on the race thing. It's definitely a factor, whether people want to admit it or not.
Not only is race a factor in every individual's decision, but virtually every other divisible quality or characteristic is a factor, too: intelligence, demeanor, age, religion, party, views (intentions, promises, creeds), experience with this or that, weight, height, hair, sound of voice, use of language, sexual orientation, style of clothing, tastes (food, movies, books, art), & on & on. These factors vary in weighting; you ascribe far more importance to Quality X than to Quality Y, &c. But you (sometimes subconsciously) register the total impression as a composite of dozens of factors -- just as you do when you choose a date or a spouse or a CPA. When was the last time you voted for someone whose personality rankled you?

I think people who say such-&-such quality is "not a factor" in their decision really mean that that specific quality is merely outweighted by other qualities.

Quote:
Of course, we all want "one of our own" to succeed, whether it's someone of the same sex, race, from the same geographic location, similar backgrounds, whatever.
That's true, too.

Quote:
But I hope people use that as a guide to help them START their research, not as the sole basis for their vote.
Exactly. It's one consideration among many.

Quote:
I read something scary the other day in the local paper - there are many people (especially in the black community) who do NOT want Obama to get elected. Why? They think if he is, he'll be assasinated within the first year. Reading that shocked me, then scared me. Now I'm angry & sad - that this could be a reality, that someone in this nation could be so hateful that they would kill our president if he weren't white.
The nation wouldn't kill anybody; the nation can't kill anybody -- it's an abstraction. (If you had to put a gun into the hands of "the nation," how would you do so?) But some nut might certainly do this. Nuts live & walk among us, as even a brief scan of the front page of the paper reminds us.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ That's why I wrote "someone in this nation" David, my dear. And I really appreciate your comments. You're right about how most people base most decisions on whatever trait they personally feel is important. Like, I don't care if a doctor was considered the best in town - if she's an asshole, I'm not going to her. Not that I'd take the ****ty doctor just because she was the most friendly either, but I definitely weigh more than 1 factor in most decisions. Maybe others don't.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^ That's why I wrote "someone in this nation" David, my dear. And I really appreciate your comments. You're right about how most people base most decisions on whatever trait they personally feel is important. Like, I don't care if a doctor was considered the best in town - if she's an asshole, I'm not going to her. Not that I'd take the ****ty doctor just because she was the most friendly either, but I definitely weigh more than 1 factor in most decisions. Maybe others don't.
^^

I think a lot of people don't and that's what scares me. Ultimately I think if you don't know even the basics of what's going on with the candidates and issues then you should not vote. But that's me and that's not going to happen so it doesn't matter what I think.

There are also people who will vote solely because of somebody's stance on social issues like abortion and gay marriage. That's partly why I'd love to see Rudy get the nomination - because there's a huge evangelical arm that will never vote for him.

There was a story on NPR recently talking to Democratic voters about who they intend to vote for. I was heartened to hear many women who said they would not vote for Hillary just because she's a woman. Some women were insulted to even be asked that. I'd like to think that way of thinking is the majority rather than the rule...but I fear it is not.