Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sexism and violence in advertising

So, I came across this today. We've heard about sexism in advertising for decades - but when you see it all laid out like this...It's almost disturbing.

One could make the point that humans are wired for sex - it's the meaning of life, right? To find a mate and reproduce - it's what *all* living things are created to do. However, the implied violence in some ads is unnessesary, and I'm not sure what point some of these companies are trying to make. Rape is sexy and cool? Uh....no. The best part of this video is the end...a little role reversal, indeed.

http://www.upworthy.com/the-people-w...aining-to-do-6

I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 04-29-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
So, I came across this today. We've heard about sexism in advertising for decades - but when you see it all laid out like this...It's almost disturbing.

One could make the point that humans are wired for sex - it's the meaning of life, right? To find a mate and reproduce - it's what *all* living things are created to do. However, the implied violence in some ads is unessecary, and I'm not sure what point some of these companies are trying to make. Rape is sexy and cool? Uh....no. The best part of this video is the end...a little role reversal, indeed.

http://www.upworthy.com/the-people-w...aining-to-do-6

Yes, those print ads from a bygone era are appallingly sexist. Otherwise, I didn't find much of anything else that I found particularly sexist. Are women "sexualized" to sell products? Sure. But when you're selling intimate women's products (perfume, undergarments, lingerie, etc.) to other women, I don't think it's particularly tasteless or degrading. I mean, what's wrong with Kate Moss being modestly naked in a Herb Ritts photo? And if you're selling bras, you're pretty likely to use models wearing bras in your ad campaign! As for the men's products using sexualized images of women, I think there's a vague borderline that comes into play when violence is intimated. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with it.

I think the role reversals in the video were cheap shots. Sure, they looked pathetic, because they used the pastiest, flabbiest hipster guys to make their point. If you put, say, Channing Tatum naked in a perfume ad, it would probably sell a lot of perfume!

On the other hand... the most obvious sexism in advertising today is regarding cleaning products. I can't remember a single cleaning product that featured a man mopping up spills or Swiffering around the kitchen floor. Sure, there are guys who present the product in the commercials, but they are usually disembodied voices, or men who just stand there while the woman does the wiping/mopping.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Yes, those print ads from a bygone era are appallingly sexist. Otherwise, I didn't find much of anything else that I found particularly sexist. Are women "sexualized" to sell products? Sure. But when you're selling intimate women's products (perfume, undergarments, lingerie, etc.) to other women, I don't think it's particularly tasteless or degrading. I mean, what's wrong with Kate Moss being modestly naked in a Herb Ritts photo? And if you're selling bras, you're pretty likely to use models wearing bras in your ad campaign! As for the men's products using sexualized images of women, I think there's a vague borderline that comes into play when violence is intimated. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with it.
The sexism is less bothersome that the simulated rape and assault photos.

I found the role-reversals hilarious, and fitting. Of course those guys were skinny or fat, but it outlines the absurdity of selling products with body parts. We don't all look perfect, and no matter what we buy, we won't. Most people will look like the guys in the simulated pictures. Real.

Even though the products are targeted at women, they still play off of insecurities, which I personally find distasteful. We should want to buy stuff because it's good or because it works, not because we feel ugly and we believe falsely that an item will make us more attractive. Lipstick on a pig...

Your point still stands - but what does cooking have to do with bras? "Oh look at me, I can't cook but that's ok because my tits are huge and fake." Couldn't they let the picture stand for itself, without the derogatory dumb-blonde cooking remark?
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 04-29-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I found the role-reversals hilarious, and fitting. Of course those guys were skinny or fat, but it outlines the absurdity of selling products with body parts. We don't all look perfect, and no matter what we buy, we won't. Most people will look like the guys in the simulated pictures. Real.
Most people are not young, white males. They are certainly not my reality. Advertising allows us to envision an idealized reality in which bodyfat percentages are in the single digits and skin is clear, unwrinkled and poreless. I don't think there is anything wrong with using idealized images; it gives people something to aspire to, which really is at the root of spending: this notion that buying Product X will somehow make me among the beautiful/skinny/rich/smart. I don't think you will get many guys to buy athletic shoes if their ads feature only "real guys" with beer guts wearing saggy pants and flannel shirts.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Most people are not young, white males. They are certainly not my reality. Advertising allows us to envision an idealized reality in which bodyfat percentages are in the single digits and skin is clear, unwrinkled and poreless. I don't think there is anything wrong with using idealized images; it gives people something to aspire to, which really is at the root of spending: this notion that buying Product X will somehow make me among the beautiful/skinny/rich/smart. I don't think you will get many guys to buy athletic shoes if their ads feature only "real guys" with beer guts wearing saggy pants and flannel shirts.
I just think it all represents a decline in Western culture that's been going on for a long time. It's all sex and violence now, with a little humor thrown in for the products that sex can't sell, like Insurance - but give it 10 years and ladies in bras who proudly declare they can't cook will be selling homeowners policies.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just think it all represents a decline in Western culture that's been going on for a long time. It's all sex and violence now, with a little humor thrown in for the products that sex can't sell, like Insurance - but give it 10 years and ladies in bras who proudly declare they can't cook will be selling homeowners policies.
You don't find Flo sexy?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You don't find Flo sexy?

Um, no, not at all. But it's got more to do with her gender than her looks.

However, I do find Flo smart, quirky, and very much like the type of people I like to have as frends.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

What do you think about the one where the sexy twins wear tshirts washed in different detergents and women come up and feel them to see which is softer? There's obviously a sexual undertone.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb84 View Post
What do you think about the one where the sexy twins wear tshirts washed in different detergents and women come up and feel them to see which is softer? There's obviously a sexual undertone.
I wonder if the sexual undertones would be negated if the twins were average Joes.

What if you reversed all of the genders....say, a guy feeling the shirts on two hot babes...would it be as effective?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, another sexist pet peeve of mine... The local news. Filled with pudgy, creepy older guys who have been newsanchors at the same station for 15, 20, 30 years. I suppose that's all fine and dandy. But then they have a rotating cast of invariably hot young chick sidekicks who look good in spandex-blend fabrics. However, the second they pass the big 4-0 or they gain a few pounds, these women are sent packing or sent out as field reporters to cover tornadoes and blizzards. Or they have been pulled back so many times Sue (cough) Simmons (cough) that they have slipknots behind their ears. Men are basically allowed to get old and fat on camera while women have a predetermined expiration date.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, another sexist pet peeve of mine... The local news. Filled with pudgy, creepy older guys who have been newsanchors at the same station for 15, 20, 30 years. I suppose that's all fine and dandy. But then they have a rotating cast of invariably hot young chick sidekicks who look good in spandex-blend fabrics. However, the second they pass the big 4-0 or they gain a few pounds, these women are sent packing or sent out as field reporters to cover tornadoes and blizzards. Or they have been pulled back so many times Sue (cough) Simmons (cough) that they have slipknots behind their ears. Men are basically allowed to get old and fat on camera while women have a predetermined expiration date.
You mean like Regis and (Insert perky-breasted woman's name here)?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Registered

I saw this Film when I was young , and from that point on I have always looked at advertising as a bunch of BS and why would you throw your money away because THEY are telling you it's good
or shocking you with sex and violence as a way to remember the product

Last edited by olive; 04-29-2013 at 05:00 PM..