The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Registered

Wow. This thread has turned out to be fantabulous. Points to Michele for finally making Vanessa look like an idiot. (I love her, but still, we all need a taste of our own medicine.)
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
As for the electric skillet, he put it on a heated stove. I doubt they owned a dishwasher back then.
I was actually wondering about that. They were still considered luxury items back then and Lindsey and Stevie were struggling. So, I didn't think they could afford a dishwasher, but I couldn't actually remember what it was she said. I do recall her conclusion that, then they had no skillet and no Hamburger Helper!

When I was growing up we had a dishwasher, but it wasn't built in. You had to roll it to the sink and connect it to the nozzle.

Michele
Old 11-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgikallaroundme View Post
Right! Nobody noticed when he came back either. Not the five million who bought The Dance and sent it to #1 on the charts. Certainly not the millions who bought Tango when it also went #1 before he left. The millions who bought Behind the Mask and Time, which both went multi-platimum and ranked #1, never noticed at all. What do you mean they didn't? They weren't? Nevermind!!!!!
They equally didn't notice when Christine McVie left before that multi-million selling #1 record Say You Will...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-27-2007, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamMcConville View Post
Wow. This thread has turned out to be fantabulous. Points to Michele for finally making Vanessa look like an idiot. (I love her, but still, we all need a taste of our own medicine.)
Oh yeah, I'm the idiot.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Some of those comments are... eh, strange:

If there was ever a person most expendable to Fleetwood Mac it was Lindsey Buckingham. {snip} I always to be honest never thought Lindsey Buckingham was the “brains” behind the group’s success.

Okay.

Well, look at the history of Fleetwood Mac...there's not a more "expendable" position in rock than being a guitarist for Fleetwood Mac (except maybe drummer for Spinal Tap or bassist for the Allman Bros Band, but at least all Fleetwood Mac guitarists are still living). So, yeah, Lindsey WOULD be the most expendable. Makes a helluva lot of sense to me.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Well, look at the history of Fleetwood Mac...there's not a more "expendable" position in rock than being a guitarist for Fleetwood Mac (except maybe drummer for Spinal Tap or bassist for the Allman Bros Band, but at least all Fleetwood Mac guitarists are still living). So, yeah, Lindsey WOULD be the most expendable. Makes a helluva lot of sense to me.
Yes, I would agree if he had only been 'the guitarist', which wasn't/isn't the case.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
They equally didn't notice when Christine McVie left before that multi-million selling #1 record Say You Will...
But in all fairness, even if Christine had been with the band, SYW wouldn't have sold that many more copies. I'm not saying she's expendable. I missed and miss her balance greatly. I'm just saying that none of them are Justin Timberlake or Beyonce, which tends to help in the multi-million selling categories.

Michele
Old 11-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Ledgie

To say that Lindsey was never the brains behind the Mac is madness. He was on albums as a producer.
Therefore Tusk at least, he was the brains behind it. Looking at tango in the night, (where Stevie was at Betty Ford), he carried that album putting songs he was going to use for his own albums.

What did Stevie actually offer to TITN anyway?.

The only Fleetwood Mac fan in Cumbria.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzar View Post
To say that Lindsey was never the brains behind the Mac is madness. He was on albums as a producer.
Therefore Tusk at least, he was the brains behind it. Looking at tango in the night, (where Stevie was at Betty Ford), he carried that album putting songs he was going to use for his own albums.

What did Stevie actually offer to TITN anyway?.
I happen to rather like WISYA

the other two songs...they ARE kindof...blah.

Tango kicks ass! [just putting in my two cents.]

I think that overall...Lindseys music is the most diverse of the threes. While some songs are blah, there are others that really make up for it. like REALLY.
I dont get why people hate on Linds...I really dont.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Take away Lindsey's song-writing contributions. Take away his particular style of guitar, take away his voice from the harmonies, take away any and all production work he did in the studio. There would be some pretty good stuff left, to say there wouldn't would be downplaying the contributions of everyone else. But it wouldn't be the Fleetwood Mac of that era. And the Fleetwood Mac of that era is still instantly recognizable to this day, and for many people, the only Fleetwood Mac they know.

To me, expendable means someone that can come in, fit in, do the music justice, but if they leave, it's not going make or break the sound or success of the band. That's simply not the case with Lindsey. But I'm preaching to the choir.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But in all fairness, even if Christine had been with the band, SYW wouldn't have sold that many more copies. I'm not saying she's expendable. I missed and miss her balance greatly. I'm just saying that none of them are Justin Timberlake or Beyonce, which tends to help in the multi-million selling categories.
Which also applies to The Behind The Mask and Time versions of Fleetwood Mac. Fleetwood Mac was old news. Sure they were all working, but the world had moved on. Still has. They've ruiend their own careers by some of their BS. They had a huge hit with a live album/DVD that rehashed most of the legend, that was produced by MTV. Go figure that would be a big seller.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Your comments make absolutely no sense to me.
Lindsey not only co-produced Tango In The Night; he contributed most to the album (with Stevie, the least).

You mention Tango sold well because Lindsey left the band before the tour. WHAT?? That defies logic thought.

And the band "carried" Lindsey for 22 years? Again...huhh??? The band needed a guitarist when Lindsey came on board, and he is largely known as the studio sound master of the group.

The misperceptions are baffling.
Quote:
Well, as I understand it, he contributed very little to TITN. That album probably sold well because people were so glad he was gone.

Despite the fact that the band has carried him for 22 years, it is my opinion that he is the least expendable of the 16. However, I realize such thoughts are irrational. Curls get in your eyes.

Michele

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-28-2007 at 11:45 AM..
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Your comments make absolutely no sense to me.
I guess that makes you an idiot also.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
Let's be so thankful that Fleetwood Mac aren't those artists! An entirely different genere. Those "singers" are dancers/entertainers/actors/personalities.

The members of Fleetwood Mac are hardcore rock and roll musicians, plain and simple. Fleetwood Mac had its long day in the limelight, and as such, are respected among generations of rock and roll fans. Just because they aren't selling in the realm of the current popular crop of "entertainers" doesn't have any bearing of the merits of Fleetwood Mac's most recent material.

Not meaning to dish directly on Justin or Beyonce, just remember this: Just because something is popular, or sells big doesn't mean it's any good...or better than something that doesn't sell. Marketing plays a big role. That's why sh*t sells!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-28-2007 at 12:08 PM..
Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I guess that makes you an idiot also.
I didn't call anyone an idiot! That comment is not appreciated.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-28-2007 at 12:07 PM..