User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
how can he have meant TOF if he's referring to use half voice on UTS-songs?
It's not on the album. It's one of the ROCK songs from GOS?????

He used held-in vocals on some of your faves on the album...SUD, UTS....

I was just using Twist of Fate as an example of him decieving his vocals on a non UTS track.

I don't think SUD sounds like its his vocals. He sounds like he is whispering and shrieking. Although on the other end of the spectrum when I saw him do it live (3 times ) I was blown away thought it sounded 10 times better.

Same for UTS.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't really get into Shut Us Down, but I'm not sure if I would like it better with a band and a different voice. So, I . . . I love the lyrics, but since it was going to be in a movie and everything, I think I wish it had been done a bit differently.

I don't like Juniper, but at least Lindsey has acknowledged that people other than us don't like it, so . . . if he recognizes the song is kind of superficial, but just did it for himself, I'm all for that.

Other than those 2, I guess I'm happy with UTS the way it is. Well, one more complaint: I have a problem with covers. These guys have too many unreleased songs of their own, so I never appreciate them doing anyone else's songs, no matter how good they are. So, yeah, if, say, I Am Waiting had been replaced with Deep Dense, I would have been in heaven. Michele

Michele
Old 10-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
I was just using Twist of Fate as an example of him decieving his vocals on a non UTS track.

I don't think SUD sounds like its his vocals. He sounds like he is whispering and shrieking. Although on the other end of the spectrum when I saw him do it live (3 times ) I was blown away thought it sounded 10 times better.

Same for UTS.
They're his vocals if they come out of his mouth.

Listening to all the album tracks he's been involved with for the past 30+ years, I appreciate his versatility. He plays with them like they're an instrument.

At first the SUD vocals were weird to digest for me, but after listening to what he was SAYING more and more, they started to fit perfectly. It's like a mood.. a feeling of being almost too choked up to talk about it, then he musters up a little bit of strength to FORCE that high note when "as looooooooooooong as i cannnn" comes around.

People have been saying this stuff for as long as the album has been out, and it really does grate my nerves a bit. It's like some don't WANT to give the different style a chance. That's the kind of **** that probably makes him feel unappreciated.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I don't think SUD sounds like its his vocals. He sounds like he is whispering and shrieking.
To me, he sounds like he's dying. He's going, "I'll be around for as long as I can . . ." and I'm thinking: "But it doesn't sound like that will be very long at all." He sounds like Jack Klugman and Peter Jennings and other people who have gone through chemo.

Michele
Old 10-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post

Listening to all the album tracks he's been involved with for the past 30+ years, I appreciate his versatility. He plays with them like they're an instrument.

At first the SUD vocals were weird to digest for me, but after listening to what he was SAYING more and more, they started to fit perfectly. It's like a mood.. a feeling of being almost too choked up to talk about it, then he musters up a little bit of strength to FORCE that high note when "as looooooooooooong as i cannnn" comes around.

People have been saying this stuff for as long as the album has been out, and it really does grate my nerves a bit. It's like some don't WANT to give the different style a chance. That's the kind of **** that probably makes him feel unappreciated.
Well lets see the album has been out for a year. It was in my car stereo for at least 3 months. I played it for all my friends. I saw him in concert for this tour 4 times.

I think I gave it a chance. I don't like what he tried to do. Versatility is great, I agree. But it just didn't work for me.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
To me, he sounds like he's dying. He's going, "I'll be around for as long as I can . . ." and I'm thinking: "But it doesn't sound like that will be very long at all." He sounds like Jack Klugman and Peter Jennings and other people who have gone through chemo.

Michele
I agree, but did you ever see him do it live like on Conan O' Brien or The Ellen Degeneres show? I thought that song did a complete 360 when he did it on stage. Fantastic show closer IMO!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I get tired of that crap. I don't go onto the Stevie forum and talk smack, but it's perfectly normal to see that stuff on the Lindsey board.
You know I would just kick the crap out of you if you did. LEAVE STEVIE ALONE!!!111
Old 10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

He plays so much that when I first heard the kids at the end of SYW I just assumed that was Lindsey.

Quote:
Well . . .that's not exactly what I appreciate about him. I don't know, sometimes, as in Time Bomb Town when he is experimenting with sound and it is so expertly intertwined with the song's message, that is what I do consider his genius. It's Lindsey's unique fingerprint and I love it. There the mechanical hiccups and yelps, blend with the futuristic theme and I find it breath-taking.

Other times, I just think he's being weird and annoying, but I really don't care. With other artists, I think if I wish and pray hard enough, if it's commercially shunned, maybe they'll stop doing something I don't like. With him, it's like whatever. I guess I feel he's stubborn and his will is greater than mine, so he's never going to stop and I might as well just give in. I feel it's not even worth my energy to wish he wouldn't, because he will.

Michele
Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree, but did you ever see him do it live like on Conan O' Brien or The Ellen Degeneres show? I thought that song did a complete 360 when he did it on stage. Fantastic show closer IMO!
I saw the move Elizabethtowne just because posters on the Ledge said it contained a new Lindsey song...then I heard Big Love play in the movie and thought...'Is that it?"

Then I heard Shut Us Down and figured that has to be Lindsey singing...but...I didn't like it...it was whispered and not singing... (I was expecting something along the grounds on On the Wrong Side...from the movie With Honors...and I was disappointed with SUD.)

THEN I heard it on Conan o'Brien and thought....Is THAT the same song? It was freakin' awesome...like maybe it wasn't ready in time for the movie, but it sure was ready in time for the late night show.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I especially understood where he came from when I recently heard the original version of the song. It was just meant to be sung this way. It's a very intimate song, like you said, you get a feeling of being too choked up to talk about the subject matter. It needs to be done in a whispery voice, to enhance all those emotions. Like he is relaying it to someone special, late at night, huddled together.

Crap.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I 100% agree. It was incredible live.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Other times, I just think he's being weird and annoying, but I really don't care. With other artists, I think if I wish and pray hard enough, if it's commercially shunned, maybe they'll stop doing something I don't like. With him, it's like whatever. I guess I feel he's stubborn and his will is greater than mine, so he's never going to stop and I might as well just give in. I feel it's not even worth my energy to wish he wouldn't, because he will.
I guess this is where I'm a Lindsey purist. I can't think of anything that gets weird and annoying. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to listen to Not That Funny live. Or Teen Beat. And for a time, I really hated the smoothness of Oh, Diane.

It's just that there is a faction of people who feel the need to throw it in everyone's face that he isn't the greatest guitarist of all time, even when he's many peoples' favorite guitarist. And there's a faction of "he can't sing" people. And people who are like "he doesn't write good lyrics". It just makes me wonder... why bother bringing it to the Lindsey forum? Some people will actually have a good discussion about the reasoning behind the opinions, but others just throw that **** out there and expect others to be like, "thanks for your negative opinion! please come again!"
Old 10-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I saw it on Conan and Ellen and I think he did it live at one of the shows I attended. When all is said and done, SUD is not a song I really like. But I like the lyrics and one of you posted that thread showing the difference between what Cory had and what Lindsey wrote himself and I loved that.

Michele
Old 10-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
I especially understood where he came from when I recently heard the original version of the song. It was just meant to be sung this way. It's a very intimate song, like you said, you get a feeling of being too choked up to talk about the subject matter. It needs to be done in a whispery voice, to enhance all those emotions. Like he is relaying it to someone special, late at night, huddled together.

Crap.
Exactly. Like when you're out sitting on the beach just after you almost broke up and the fire is making your voice all harsh because it's so hot and the air is so cold and...

Old 10-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
Like he is relaying it to someone special, late at night, huddled together.
Which is how I feel about Love Is. Michele