The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Senior Ledgie

Today on the dutch news: Festival Rock Werchter in Belgium will move 1 week. Normal it is in the first week of july but now the festival will take place from june 25 untill june 28. The reason for this one time move has to do with one off the headliners. So it has to be a very big one. They will not say at this moment who this headliner is. Could it be FM..
Old 10-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick said last night at the meet and greet they were not playing Glastonbury. It would be a great experience for the band, but it was a big deal and a big undertaking. He said they might do it one year that they weren't touring as a one time gig.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 10-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77 View Post
Mick said last night at the meet and greet they were not playing Glastonbury. It would be a great experience for the band, but it was a big deal and a big undertaking. He said they might do it one year that they weren't touring as a one time gig.
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Grrrrrrrrr. That's very disappointing and very frustrating.
If it definitely is the case then I can't see them ever being asked to do it again.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Got to say I'm extremely disappointed with this. How much time does Mick think the band has left? Christine's 71 for god's sake!

Doing Glastonbury would have been so big for the band, and I think they've pretty much blown it. They won't be asked again.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unless Mick wanted to throw off fans...which I hope was the case.

This is a huge bummer. If they're not doing it, then they don't get the huge impact they could have, especially with young people, getting their music out there, music legacy. Mick himself should realize the enormous financial benefits, which he usually likes to take advantage of. I wonder who in the band in particular might have been against playing the festival. Didn't they just perform at a festival down south last year and Stevie got a bug in her mouth? So it's not like they didn't have that experience. Maybe they weren't asked?
Old 10-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post

This is a huge bummer. If they're not doing it, then they don't get the huge impact they could have, especially with young people, getting their music out there, music legacy. Mick himself should realize the enormous financial benefits, which he usually likes to take advantage of. I wonder who in the band in particular might have been against playing the festival. Didn't they just perform at a festival down south last year and Stevie got a bug in her mouth? So it's not like they didn't have that experience. Maybe they weren't asked?
Michael Eavis has been trying to get FM for the past couple of years- I'm sure they'd been asked. If Mick wanted to throw people off then I'm sure he would have just been vague- I don't think he'd out and out lie. Its a shame as it looked like their tour coincided nicely. I guess they just decided they'd get more money from an extra arena show or two. In the long run though a Glasto performance would have been so much more lucrative.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Both Michael and Emily Eavis have confirmed that they have specifically asked Fleetwood Mac to headline several times. I have friends who work in the festival industry and apparently it is extremely unusual to make such a statement for fear of either pissing off the band or making your festival seem unpopular. Obviously they don't have that second worry so this shows just how badly they are wanted.

I hope that this was Mick trying not to give away any big announcement.

If the band don't do it this year - to capitalise on all the hype of Christine being back - then they are idiots. It's one thing to have slapdash marketing etc, which we know they're guilty of, but to continually turn down Glastonbury really shows that they either don't care about such a huge gig or, worse, just don't get how lucrative (financially and for audience exposure) this could be for them.

This is the peak time for them to do it. Seriously, Christine is loved in the UK and this event is enormous! For those who don't know, I'm from the UK so know first hand how huge the event is.

Here's why now is the time:

- They're touring so their chops are up
- They are likely to be around Europe at this time
- A well-loved British member of the band has returned
- Headline acts usually see at least a 100 - 300% bump in album sales/downloads
- This would remind the non-Ledge record buying audience just who they are (sadly this is necessary) and create anticipation for the much-teased new material
- The Eavis's have their pick of headliners. They might want them but they don't need Fleetwood Mac so they may stop asking. Nobody likes to be turned down repeatedly. They may want the band but the organisers won't be made to beg for them. By the time Fleetwood Mac deign to play the festival the organisers may say "pfft - we asked you too many times and we have people who want to be here - bye!"

For all of the above, if they don't do it this year then they may never do it, or if they do (perhaps at the time of a new album) it won't have as much impact.

Last edited by Dodfather; 10-11-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Old 10-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Shocked. Boy.

Michele
Old 10-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Wow, This will be a major disappointment if this is true. This is a perfect opportunity.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroxman View Post
Wow, This will be a major disappointment if this is true. This is a perfect opportunity.
I think if they don't do Glastonbury probably they will not do any festival.
All indoor venues on the European leg of the tour.....
Old 10-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post

I don't think he was trying to throw off fans. I was there in Boston when he answered this question. He said they would not do Glastonbury while they were in the middle of a tour. He was very genuine about it.
"It was, because we demanded it from the very beginning. You can't be a wimp, and then one or two years later decide not to be a wimp anymore. Because people will always treat you like a wimp, once they have decided that's what you are. So you can never be that. You have to be strong, tough, smart, and know who you are. So, people will get that. Then, they're always going to be great to you. Then, they listen to you; they listen to your songs. They give you a chance. Otherwise, you get nowhere."
Old 10-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dance View Post
Today on the dutch news: Festival Rock Werchter in Belgium will move 1 week. Normal it is in the first week of july but now the festival will take place from june 25 untill june 28. The reason for this one time move has to do with one off the headliners. So it has to be a very big one. They will not say at this moment who this headliner is. Could it be FM..
I dreamed about it too in another thread ... but rumors say it'll be Foo Fighters ...

Last edited by SorcererJP; 10-12-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Old 10-13-2014, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetofRhiannon View Post
He said they would not do Glastonbury while they were in the middle of a tour.
Fair enough but what Sir Mick seems to forget is that you have to be invited to play Glastonbury, especially to headline. I know that they have been asked at least three times, including this year. It doesn't run to the band's schedule - you make it fit yours because it is so lucrative.

It's a risky strategy. By the time the band deign to grace Glastonbury with their presence they may find that the invitation isn't quite so forthcoming! You can only turn someone down so many times before they stop asking...

If they've turned it down for 2016 then I hope they've committed to 2017 to show willingness to do it. The headliners are often booked that far in advance.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Ledgie

I've lost count of the amount of times bands have said they're not playing Glastonbury, to then play it.
Up until 6 weeks before this year, Metallica 100% weren't playing. They were exclusive to Sonisphere. But that soon changed.

Springsteen's management turned it down in 2009, until he was contacted personally by Eavis etc to describe how much great work Glastonbury does for charity.

I don't really understand why the band would turn down the festival circuit. If it's ALL about money via Arena gigs, then that's disappointing - they don't need the cash.

To headline the greatest arts festival in the World would be a real coup, even for a band of their standing. They should speak to all the others who have done it and whose careers continued apace afterwards.