Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Basically meaning that if it was a bad month for music and nobody really shifted a lot of singles it would completely distort the data

Terrible way to determine who had sold the most singles during the year. You can see how it could be quite easily be corrupted. Even more so when you realise that the British Market Research Bureau that compiled the sales data only did so from a small handful of the music stores each week.
There was so much rigging and payola going on with our management regarding chart success, it was difficult to know what was the truth!
This 'FM sold more than the Rolling Stones and Beatles' during that year in England was pumped-up malarky, and based only on Melody Maker 'stats', and not those of the other music magazines of the period, such as Disc and Music Echo, and NME etc. I think it would have been more fair and truthful to have based this temporary, high-faluting declaration on long-term, worldwide success. Thankfully, time has told.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well apparently Harrison did confirm that Here Comes The Sun King (later just Sun King) was inspired by Albatross, even though the song didn't actually end up sounding very much like Albatross.

It didn't??? It's a friggin' soundalike with some fake Spanish mumbled over the top.
Quando para mucho bla bla...
Old 05-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Sorry to have to put out stars in anyone's eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
First off, I LOVE ManOf The World OK? ...but reading the comments on the PG extra song poll got me thinking, for those that were, let's say, "around" when Man Of The World peaked at number 2 in the UK charts: Do you think it was the real deal, or, looking back, does it seem strange it charted that high (if what Clifford Davis says is true about him "buying" MOTW into the #2 slot there then)? Just curious.

John
But the facts certainly put them out of mine, being a naive little Northern boy. Slots in the charts at that time (and it's probably true today) were up for a price -- and a high one at that. Clifford could afford it. I suppose you could say that at least the recording got heard, even if it was a hollow victory.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well apparently Harrison did confirm that Here Comes The Sun King (later just Sun King) was inspired by Albatross, even though the song didn't actually end up sounding very much like Albatross.
I have heard ,or read that the Beatles' Apple label were interested in signing the Mac when they were up for grabs, after Clifford Davis noticed that Blue Horizon had failed to renew their option in time . Hence their signing to the Immediate label to release Man of the World when presumably the Beatles ( and oher parties ?)weren't interested enough.
(Of course George Harrison'.s wife Patti was the sister of Mick's wife,Jenny. so obviously they knew each other to some extent .)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
It didn't??? It's a friggin' soundalike with some fake Spanish mumbled over the top.
I agree with you Dino without the pseudo Spanish( or is it Italian or a mixture ) over the top, which is the same as the instrumental start of the song it's several bars of E maj then some of F#Min just like Albert Ross- different rhythm though ,but similar feel .
Old 05-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
I have heard ,or read that the Beatles' Apple label were interested in signing the Mac when they were up for grabs, after Clifford Davis noticed that Blue Horizon had failed to renew their option in time . Hence their signing to the Immediate label to release Man of the World when presumably the Beatles ( and oher parties ?)weren't interested enough.
Don't think it was so much that other parties weren't interested nor was Blue Horizon...I think it was a calculated "screwing" of Blue Horizon on Clifford Davis' part. And, as what I've read about Apple, it took them a bit to get around to getting things done. By the time Lennon (who was the instigator of wanting Fleetwood Mac on Apple) got around to having someone at Apple contact Davis, he'd already signed Fleetwood Mac to Reprise.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
By the time Lennon (who was the instigator of wanting Fleetwood Mac on Apple) got around to having someone at Apple contact Davis, he'd already signed Fleetwood Mac to Reprise.
And of course Lennon named his one-off supergroup (Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Mitch Mitchell) "The Dirty Mac" - a pretty obvious take-off on Fleetwood Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wph5_TUMFtY
Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
And since the Beatles is mentioned in this thread, I add this comment from the same book. I was googling to see if this is true, I found a comment about Here comes the sun being a tribute to Albatross, but can't confirm it's reliable.

The Beatles loved "Albatross" and recorded "Here Comes the Sun King" as a tribute to Pete.
Checking more deeplymy primary source, Mick's book, few minutes ago, I confirm its reliable:

As we were about to sign a long-term contract with Immediate, word came that John Lennon was interested in signing us to the the Beatles' new label, Apple Records. Clifford broke off negotiations with Immediate and told Melody Maker: "The Beatles have heard our new album and have become very friendly with us lately. We may sign with Apple if we can get a reasonable deal, but we are an independent team we write and produce and record so we may conceivably form our own label. " (The Beatles loved "Albatross" and recorded "Here Comes the Sun King" as a tribute to Pete.)

Eventually all this fell through, and we signed with Warner Bros. Records. The new album Clifford mentioned (whose first title, Bread and Kunny, was rejected by the label) was released a few months later as Then Play On.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The start of Sun King sounds very Albatross actually it sounds like the Mac tuning up to my ears.

Then it just sounds like a bunch of drunks singing and playing a bad version of Albatross.

Not the best effort by the Beatles in my opinion (although I'm not a big fan of the Beatles anyway).
Old 05-26-2011, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
and told Melody Maker: "The Beatles have heard our new album and have become very friendly with us lately. We may sign with Apple if.[/I]
So Jeremy ,presumably you met some or all of the Fab Four at this time ?
Have you any recollections you could share with us ?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Recollection

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
So Jeremy ,presumably you met some or all of the Fab Four at this time ?
Have you any recollections you could share with us ?
I met George at Mick's wedding in 1970. He was drawn to my sound system as it was playing 'To Know Him is to Love Him' by the Teddy Bears, who had Phil Spector in the group in 1959. He was planning on working with Phil on his upcoming 'All Things Must Pass' double album. We met again at a Ravi Shanka concert at the RAH. Nice man.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Another factoid in the equation...

Quote:
Checking more deeplymy primary source, Mick's book, few minutes ago, I confirm its reliable:

As we were about to sign a long-term contract with Immediate, word came that John Lennon was interested in signing us to the the Beatles' new label, Apple Records. Clifford broke off negotiations with Immediate and told Melody Maker: "The Beatles have heard our new album and have become very friendly with us lately. We may sign with Apple if we can get a reasonable deal, but we are an independent team we write and produce and record so we may conceivably form our own label. " (The Beatles loved "Albatross" and recorded "Here Comes the Sun King" as a tribute to Pete.)

Eventually all this fell through, and we signed with Warner Bros. Records. The new album Clifford mentioned (whose first title, Bread and Kunny, was rejected by the label) was released a few months later as Then Play On.
I was wondering why we didn't take the opportunity at the time, and Cliff told me that we would be too associated and would lose our identity as a band, being in the Beatles' 'shadow' so to speak. A wise move, I think.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default And John Lennon admitted it...

Quote:
...on a radio interview while going through Abbey Road and commenting on each track. The interviewer said something like 'how come you, with a reputation for being so original, blatantly copy Albatross on this number?' John said, "So what? We like Fleetwood Mac!"
Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
I met George at Mick's wedding in 1970. He was drawn to my sound system as it was playing 'To Know Him is to Love Him' by the Teddy Bears, who had Phil Spector in the group in 1959. He was planning on working with Phil on his upcoming 'All Things Must Pass' double album. We met again at a Ravi Shanka concert at the RAH. Nice man.
Thanks very much Jeremy.

(Which translated into Sun King-ese is:

"Muchos gracias avocado bathroom suite!"

Probably!)
Old 05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Checking more deeply my primary source, Mick's book, few minutes ago, I
.[/I]
But there are errors in Mick's book (at least the verson I read- maybe its been updated For example ,it stated that they did the concert at the Lyceum ballroom in the Strand ,London with the Grateful Dead But they were certainly not there that night It was however the finest concert by Fleetwood Mac that I saw (more detail by me and others on other threads for those interested )