The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What's your least favorite Bob Welch song from Future Games?
Future Games 1 20.00%
Lay It All Down 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Least Favorite Bob Welch song from Future Games

Moving on to Bob Welch's first songs with Fleetwood Mac.

Future Games vs Lay It All Down

Poll closes in 3 days.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Voting to choose between these two songs would be like choosing which of your children to send off for slaughter
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Future Games is a beautiful song. Lay It All Down got my vote.

And to those who don't like the polls: no one is forcing you to click on them, read them, or comment on them. If you aren't interested, just skip over them.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
As has been pointed out before. Only prob is there's not much else to skip to on Pre Rum these days!
This forum is pretty dead at the best of times. Which is a pity because of all the eras of FM the pre-rumours era is by far the richest in terms of music and differing personalities.

The problem is not the lack of threads because I've tried to start conversations on this forum before myself, but the lack of people who actually participate in discussions.

My problem with the polls is that if no-one is contributing (and I've only voted in one) then continually posting more polls that no-one contributes to achieves nothing other than getting your post count up. I would have stopped after the first few when I realised the cold reception I was getting.

However if the moderators feel that the polls are ok and we should just ignore them, the please look out for my "Which do you prefer Peter Green or chicken" series of polls. I'll compare each pre-Rumours Fleetwood Mac member to a type of meat. I should get at least 100 poll combinations out of it. As a vegetarian I can safely say that I'll vote for the FM member every time (except I might just vote for a pork chop over Christine McVie)

Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
However if the moderators feel that the polls are ok and we should just ignore them, the please look out for my "Which do you prefer Peter Green or chicken" series of polls. I'll compare each pre-Rumours Fleetwood Mac member to a type of meat. I should get at least 100 poll combinations out of it. As a vegetarian I can safely say that I'll vote for the FM member every time (except I might just vote for a pork chop over Christine McVie)

Macshadowsball has a purpose for his polls and it's not to run up his post count. I'm not even sure why anyone would want to run up their post count in the first place. It's not like you get a prize for the number of posts you have under your belt.

You know what I'm tired of? I'm tired of the posts complaining about the polls. Enough of that. Just put Macshadowsball on block, if they are trying your patience.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 06-03-2011 at 12:39 AM..
Old 06-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Macshadowsball has a purpose for his polls and it's not to run up his post count. I'm not even sure why anyone would want to run up their post count in the first place. It's not like you get a prize for the number of posts you have under your belt.

You know what I'm tired of? I'm tired of the posts complaining about the polls. Enough of that. Just put Macshadowsball on block, if they are trying your patience.

Michele
So basically we should ignore the polls but those complaining about the polls don't have the same right to beat a dead horse?

I'd suggest that anyone who doesn't like the discussion regarding people not liking the polls should probably ignore it.

Oh and as for the post count thing, you've been around long enough Michele to know that is exactly what people do.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
My problem with the polls is that if no-one is contributing (and I've only voted in one) then continually posting more polls that no-one contributes to achieves nothing other than getting your post count up. I would have stopped after the first few when I realised the cold reception I was getting.
I think he is continuing the polls to make it a fair count. Unless he throws out all of the votes that have already been counted and leaves Pre Rumours out of the Least favorite competition, he needs to continue the polls through HAHTF. He doesn't want to leave Pre Rumours out because the competition is a direct comparison to the 'Favorite Fleetwood Mac song' poll he did a few months ago.
Of course, if he had left Pre-Rumours out, there would have been people complaining about it!!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you both michele and holidayroad.

Why should the Pre-Rumours songs be left out just because the Pre-Rumours Ledgies wish not to participate? Perhaps some of the Pre-Rumours Ledgies should check out some of the corresponding polls on the Rumours forum.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Thank you both michele and holidayroad.

Why should the Pre-Rumours songs be left out just because the Pre-Rumours Ledgies wish not to participate? Perhaps some of the Pre-Rumours Ledgies should check out some of the corresponding polls on the Rumours forum.
If you check back to the earlier polls then I was one of those defending your right to have these polls in the first place and to be honest, if you want to continue having polls then I'll still defend your right to do so.

However, there are a couple of problems with the way it is being done, and which make it a completely invalid and pointless exercise.

Firstly, the whole point about a poll is to gauge an audience response and in a forum such as this, to start a discussion. There are a lot of pre-Rumours people who seem to be offended by the very idea that there is a least favourite in any work, especially by PG. That is their problem, and certainly you can't please everyone with every discussion. When you post this poll, you always seem to comment at the end after it closes as to what your opinion is and personally I've never seen a poll conducted on this forum in that manner.

Post the poll, then give your vote and more importantly (and this is what is missing in this whole "least favourite" poll) the reason WHY. I don't know if you own all of these albums you are polling or have listened to all of the songs but I'm assuming that as you are running these polls you feel you are, for want of a better word, "qualified" to do so.

So, as soon as you give your opinion on a song, it almost invariably leads to someone else jumping in to defend the song, and then before you know it, a whole discussion ensues.

My second issue with these polls is that it becomes meaningless if you constantly have the casting vote at the end. Sure, sometimes there is going to be a draw, and then that should result in a tie break or some such (oh god not more polls ). A good number of these poll have ended with a couple of songs scoring one vote each and then you have the final vote - you could just post a list of your least favourite songs and use that as the result.

So, poll away, but please consider casting your vote as soon as you post the poll and giving a reason why you have voted this way. Give a valid enough reason (not just "because I've never heard this" as someone said) and I'll happily discuss the song.

As for the Rumours forum, it is possible to stimulate any discussion by mentioning the words "Stevie" or "Lindsey". I don't know how old you are MacShadowsBall, but about 15 years ago I proved this with a discussion on the old newgroup about Stevie Nicks eating baby seals (totally untrue in case Stevie has a lawyer lurking )

EDIT

One other thing I forgot to mention, polls shouldn't be multiple choice if the question is asking for a "least" favourite. If the question was "which songs don't you like" then it can be a multiple choice, but really you can't have more than one least favourite can you?

Last edited by chriskisn; 06-03-2011 at 09:41 AM..
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So basically we should ignore the polls but those complaining about the polls don't have the same right to beat a dead horse?
That's correct. Chriskn you were gone for a few months and the regular posters here already said they don't like the polls and have mocked Macshadowsball abundantly in that time. You returned with your characteristic humor. I truly appreciate it. But you've had your share of fun and griping. Now, it ends.

I know you guys don't like the polls. The moderators know. And Macshadowsball knows. At this point, the only point of the complaints seems to be to harass Macshadowsball into stopping the polls. That's not allowed. When the polls do stop, that won't be the reason, I can assure you.

Finally, I may have been around a long time, but I do not agree that this pollster is trying to increase his post count.

Michele
Old 06-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Voting to choose between these two songs would be like choosing which of your children to send off for slaughter
I agree!! I just can't do it. Just can't.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Polls - serious business
Old 06-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
When you post this poll, you always seem to comment at the end after it closes as to what your opinion is and personally I've never seen a poll conducted on this forum in that manner.

My second issue with these polls is that it becomes meaningless if you constantly have the casting vote at the end. Sure, sometimes there is going to be a draw, and then that should result in a tie break or some such (oh god not more polls ). A good number of these poll have ended with a couple of songs scoring one vote each and then you have the final vote - you could just post a list of your least favourite songs and use that as the result.

So, poll away, but please consider casting your vote as soon as you post the poll and giving a reason why you have voted this way. Give a valid enough reason (not just "because I've never heard this" as someone said) and I'll happily discuss the song.
The main reason he waits to vote until the end of the poll is in case of a tie, so he can be a tie-breaker. I have also told him I would wait to vote, in case he needs someone else to be a tie-breaker. This issue came in the 'Favorite songs' polls.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Had to go with Lay It All Down, myself... I couldn't pick Future Games as it was one of the first Welch songs I ever heard and I instantly took a liking to it
Old 06-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

With 4 votes, "Lay it All Down" wins least favorite Bob Welch song from Future Games.
Closed Thread