Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
All I would say about John is that they have a party line and Christine knows the talking points and gave those talking points. The only new information we have about John is that he is undergoing treatment in Los Angeles, which I thought and hoped and am glad to have confirmed.

Based on their last concert appearances, I think they looked pretty happy, for the most part, so I believe them all that they expect him to be up and about soon -- even for Vegas.

But it's also clear that they have agreed upon what they are going to say to the press. Which is fine.

We heard them in that car that time, with Christine asking Mick what to say about Lindsey's epilepsy and Mick told her she couldn't say it was epilepsy and I think this is similar. They have discussed how to address the question and Christine said what John Mayall said.

Michele
Perhaps she's feeding the press about her return as well. She did the same thing with her London appearance. "If they have me, I'll perform."
Old 11-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Perhaps she's feeding the press about her return as well. She did the same thing with her London appearance. "If they have me, I'll perform."
I think so. And remember with that, Mick had already said that she'd probably do something and she just confirmed it. So, I take her comments about rejoining the band as more of a confirmation than a hope for a request that will "delight" her.

But yes, by putting it in the press, it's something that they will ask you about forever if it does not happen and something that will generate publicity if it does. So, no way was it an innocent, offhand comment. This was a great way to start the public relations ball rolling on that subject.

It's the same thing Mick and Lindsey have done earlier this year with their comments to the press. It's like a backdoor way to make things happen within FM.

Michele
Old 11-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
But would her agent, and personal management team?
That's a very good question, David. Her team probably wouldn't be pleased, but ultimately, they work for her. So if she's fine with a pay cut, they'd have to go along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
never gonna happen. woman's gotta whole slew of hangers-on to feed and trudge around the world. plus she's the diva in that band. i don't see her ever accepting to be equal to others anymore, regardless of the amount of weight she's pulling.
I'd never claim that Stevie is ego-less -- that'd be ridiculous. But I don't think she has quite the ego you suspect she has, Elle. I believe it's unlikely that she'd make any kind of money demands that could potentially prevent Christine's involvement. Most especially since it's something she's been hoping for since the day Christine left
Old 11-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Stevie has a massive ego, but I also think Elle answered her own question. Stevie can easily make up any money she loses via solo touring, so I don't see the FM split as a concern for Stevie at all.

Lindsey might not make as much as he does w/o Christine there, but If they tour after 2014 and make an album, that's something extra that he never would have gotten w/o Christine anyway.

Michele
Old 11-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I think Stevie has a massive ego, but I also think Elle answered her own question. Stevie can easily make up any money she loses via solo touring, so I don't see the FM split as a concern for Stevie at all.
I don't want to derail this thread, so this will have to be a conversation for another day... but I don't think Stevie has a "massive ego" in these regards. She certainly can exhibit quite an inflated sense of her own importance (but I think most people who've been famous for nearly 40 years, share that quality), but no one else in the band (except maybe Mick) ever seems as genuinely thrilled to share a stage with someone else, as Stevie does. Whether it's someone as hugely famous as Tom Petty or a semi-celeb like Vanessa Carlton.

Beyond that, I do agree with you that Stevie would and could make up for any "losses" via her solo work.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I don't want to derail this thread, so this will have to be a conversation for another day... but I don't think Stevie has a "massive ego" in these regards.
I agree that Stevie is eager to share the stage with Christine and certainly loved her Tom Petty cameos. She worships Petty. She can also be a very generous person, but I think she has a massive ego. I don't think one thing discounts the other.

So no I don"t agree with you that Elle miscalculated the size of Stevie's ego. I just think she is wrong about Stevie being concerned with a lesser split for adding Chris. Stevie has other ways to make money outside of FM.

I am sure you and I don't agree about the size or nature of Lindsey's ego either. Michele
Old 11-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree that Stevie is eager to share the stage with Christine and certainly loved her Tom Petty cameos. She worships Petty. She can also be a very generous person, but I think she has a massive ego. I don't think one thing discounts the other.

So no I don"t agree with you that Elle miscalculated the size of Stevie's ego. I just think she is wrong about Stevie being concerned with a lesser split for adding Chris. Stevie has other ways to make money outside of FM.

I am sure you and I don't agree about the size or nature of Lindsey's ego either. Michele
Lindsey, Stevie, and Mick all have bigger egos than Chris or John. I'm not saying that they're not nice, loving, or generous, but they can think highly of themselves. I think that Stevie would be willing to take a pay cut to have Chris back.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Just wondering if Christine would make
any difference financially? If the split is now...
30% - Lindsey
30% - Stevie
20% - Mick
20% - John
And then...
25% - Lindsey
25% - Stevie
25% - Christine
12.5% - Mick
12.5% - John
Someone run the numbers.
Where's my pie graph charts Mr. Dyess? The new album sales wouldn't offset the loss
percentage wise to Lindsey and Stevie from
touring. Unless of course Christine got them
to tour more dates with her than they would
without her.
Look what you've done. You created a monster.You made up these numbers out of thin air and cause a conversation based on nothing to back your numerical facts up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I thought the current split was
40% - Stevie
30% - Lindsey
15% - Mick
15% - John
If so, then the new split of
25% - Stevie
25% - Lindsey
25% - Christine
12.5% - Mick
12.5% - John
doesn't make a big dent in the paychecks of anyone other than Stevie. However, I'm on the fence about how much more they can actually make with Christine in the mix.
Again, you are basing these numbers off the original post which is based purely on theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Why does Stevie have to take a 37.5% pay cut while Lindsey only takes a 17% cut and using those figures she suffers the most...
She doesn't. IMHO the band sets up a certain amount of dates to earn a certain amount of money to accomodate all 5 of their needs. Extra dates are added if they want to earn more money because expenses were higher than planned or they just add dates for the pure enjoyment of playing to a live audience.

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that Stevie would happily take a 37.5% pay cut, if it meant having her friend back in the band.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
But would her agent, and personal management team?
They probably get a percentage based on the net intake anyway.

Quote:
That's a very good question, David. Her team probably wouldn't be pleased, but ultimately, they work for her. So if she's fine with a pay cut, they'd have to go along with it.
Quote:
Beyond that, I do agree with you that Stevie would and could make up for any "losses" via her solo work.
I bet she makes better money working with Fleetwood Mac. A couple of years ago when Mick was trying to make Stevie feel guilty for not touring with the Mac, he stated that she could make a heck of a lot more money with FM in less time than it would take to perform as a solo act.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this thread tickles me

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They should have equal percents, 20% each. Hell will freeze over before that happens, though.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe Stevie said in an interview not too long ago that at this point in her life she did not need the money and that for her going back to Fleetwood Mac fills an emotional need in her because they are all team. So I don't think Stevie will have any problems with Christine rejoining the group. As to her management team, Stevie's fired her manager before and she very well could do it again if this is something she really wants.

The argument that the band let Lindsey come back, so they should let Christine come back, doesn't seem like a viable argument to me either. It's like comparing apples to oranges. When Lindsey came back the band had completely broken up. There was NO Fleetwood Mac at that time and after Lindsey left in 87 the band pretty much fell apart. The band has been intact with just these 4 members since about 2002 and their popularity is continuing to increase. Whether it's because they are riding a wave of popularity from college kids or something else I don't know, but they have become very popular again in the last 3-4 years without Christine.

I don't want to start up any Lindsey bashing because he very well could welcome Christine back with open arms. However, I have always thought and still do that (as much as I love him) any problems with Christine rejoining the band will come from Lindsey.

Lindsey will take a hit financially if Christine rejoins. Though like Stevie he can make some of his losses up with his solo work even thought it's not as profitable for him as it is for her.

But money aside, Lindsey has never appeared to be money driven like some of the other band members, and I think he would be willing to take a decrease in the profits if necessary. What Lindsey has always cared about was making the best music possible. Many fans say that artistically adding Christine to the band only make since musically because her voice adds another layer to the bands sound and of the 3 her songs are the most successful commercially and I agree with that.

But it's hard to tell if Lindsey agrees with that or not. Maybe he was upset Christine left the band. Maybe he was mad when he said he enjoyed the dynamics of the band better with just the 4 members and maybe when he said Christine couldn't just come and go he was just trying to pin her down and not let her overshadow the band. Who knows

Also, (I believe) all of those quotes were made before the band knew John had cancer. I think John's cancer diagnosis has made the band members look at the fact that nothing last forever (like Lindsey said in his "Say Goodbye" dedication to Stevie) and that hopefully has made them kinder to each other. Hopefully, it has also made Stevie realize that she may not have a lot more time to create new music with the band and if they are going to make a new CD they need to get it going as soon as possible.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
A couple of years ago when Mick was trying to make Stevie feel guilty for not touring with the Mac, he stated that she could make a heck of a lot more money with FM in less time than it would take to perform as a solo act.
And how well did that work out for Mick???

Mick did the same thing back in 2009 when he started making plans for 2010but then Stevie told him the way it was going to be and took 3 yes THREE years off...

I'm not saying Stevie will do that again but if she's planning on making another record he may not be able to change her mind...

Stevie is well aware that she's nearing the end of the road and has said so...She specifically has mentioned the fact that she has to be careful what projects she chooses to spend her time on and doesn't know if she want's to spend 2 or 3 years on a full scale outing...

Perhaps she could compromise...If Lindsey already has songs "in the can" and Stevie decides to record a solo album is there any reason why she could not send Lindsey tracks for her songs for FM while she works on her thing...

If Stevie records in "the big house" again she wouldn't be far from Bucky's studio...
Old 11-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
I believe Stevie said in an interview not too long ago that at this point in her life she did not need the money and that for her going back to Fleetwood Mac fills an emotional need in her because they are all team. So I don't think Stevie will have any problems with Christine rejoining the group. As to her management team, Stevie's fired her manager before and she very well could do it again if this is something she really wants.

The argument that the band let Lindsey come back, so they should let Christine come back, doesn't seem like a viable argument to me either. It's like comparing apples to oranges. When Lindsey came back the band had completely broken up. There was NO Fleetwood Mac at that time and after Lindsey left in 87 the band pretty much fell apart. The band has been intact with just these 4 members since about 2002 and their popularity is continuing to increase. Whether it's because they are riding a wave of popularity from college kids or something else I don't know, but they have become very popular again in the last 3-4 years without Christine.

I don't want to start up any Lindsey bashing because he very well could welcome Christine back with open arms. However, I have always thought and still do that (as much as I love him) any problems with Christine rejoining the band will come from Lindsey.

Lindsey will take a hit financially if Christine rejoins. Though like Stevie he can make some of his losses up with his solo work even thought it's not as profitable for him as it is for her.

But money aside, Lindsey has never appeared to be money driven like some of the other band members, and I think he would be willing to take a decrease in the profits if necessary. What Lindsey has always cared about was making the best music possible. Many fans say that artistically adding Christine to the band only make since musically because her voice adds another layer to the bands sound and of the 3 her songs are the most successful commercially and I agree with that.

But it's hard to tell if Lindsey agrees with that or not. Maybe he was upset Christine left the band. Maybe he was mad when he said he enjoyed the dynamics of the band better with just the 4 members and maybe when he said Christine couldn't just come and go he was just trying to pin her down and not let her overshadow the band. Who knows

Also, (I believe) all of those quotes were made before the band knew John had cancer. I think John's cancer diagnosis has made the band members look at the fact that nothing last forever (like Lindsey said in his "Say Goodbye" dedication to Stevie) and that hopefully has made them kinder to each other. Hopefully, it has also made Stevie realize that she may not have a lot more time to create new music with the band and if they are going to make a new CD they need to get it going as soon as possible.
As for FM's recent surge in popularity look no further than Stevie Nicks...Stevie has been tirelessly promoting herself as well as FM since she started work on "IYD" and it paid off...

Stevie and Lindsey have both said it would be nice to go out the same way they came in and that is as Buckingham/Nicks...Stevie & Lindsey are going to have to make a decision here between Solo-Buckingham/Nicks or FM because I don't see all these things getting done...

It's possible Lindsey may not want Christine keeping him in check if you will...

Lindsey puts a lot of effort into his work so I don't think he wants anyone saying "Oh you had to bring Christine back in order to make a good record"

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 11-23-2013 at 07:21 PM..
Old 11-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't understand why Stevie is even being discussed as the obstacle for Christines return to FM, when its so obvious she honestly misses her very much. Why would she have a problem sharing the stage with Chris if she was willing to share it with Shery Crow during the SYW tour. She and Mick are the only members who even mention Christine during her absence. I'm sure that decades of enormous amounts of power, money and adoration have left them all with huge egos, but Chris is her equal, and a key ingredient in making FM what it is today - a cult band. She is also the only one of them that has a huge career outside of the band, therefore the least dependent of the money they make touring. If there is anyone who would be less then thrilled to see Chris back to the band it's Lindsey. Musically he was happy to fill the gap in the bands sound without a keyboard player. Financially he depends on the money he makes with FM almost as much as Mick and John, since his solo career wouldn't get him a job as an opening act for artists that were opening acts for Stevie. Finally, didn't Christine herself said she doesn't have any kind of relationship with him, and doesn't consider him a friend? And we all know he is a control freak to a degree where he would choose what Stevie could wear on stage. So beside all this, and Christine pointing him out in a recent interview, the problem is still Stevie. Funny...

What I do believe is happening is that Christine is on board at least for an album, and they are waiting for John to get well. I was worried how serious John's condition really was, but after Christine's announcement she might be joining the band again, I believe they really caught his cancer in an early stage. There's no way in hell they would let such news go public if his life was threatened.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post

But unlike Stevie and Christine, he would surely like to financially secure the future of his three children.

Personally, I miss her playing way more. Her style really thickens the sound and makes it richer. I don't think they will ever have another monster hit in the future, no matter who writes the songs. It's more likely for an old song to be rediscovered by a new generation like Everywhere was after the pony commercial.