Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Catherine Alcorn Tells Christine's Story

New wind beneath cabaret star's wings Catherine Alcorn

JO LITSON• The Sunday Telegraph• Australia June 09, 201312:00AM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226660508393

AFTER playing Bette Midler for several years in her hit cabaret show The Divine Miss Bette, Catherine Alcorn decided recently that the time had come to create something new.

"I'd had the itch for a while. I felt it was time to move on, even if I just shelved Bette for a little while, and I wanted to play another rock chick," says Alcorn who, as Fidel Cathro, fronts electro-dance band The Gauge Breakers. "I'm a rock chick at heart."

She was on a plane to Santiago when the right idea hit.

"I was listening to Fleetwood Mac and one of my favourite songs on the album - Christine McVie's As Long As You Follow - came on and I thought: 'This is perfect'," Alcorn says.

"She's so interesting. There was all the trauma and excruciating times they went through recording Rumours (due to the relationship break-ups of band members Christine and John McVie, and Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham) and (questions like) why she left the band and is she coming back? All those things lend themselves to a really juicy story."

Arriving in Santiago, Alcorn did some research and discovered that Fleetwood Mac was planning a world tour without Christine and that a biopic called The Drummer about the Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson, with whom she had a relationship, is scheduled for release this year.

"You know you are on to something good when those other things happen to support the idea," Alcorn says.

The resulting show, Go Your Own Way, premieres at the Adelaide Cabaret Festival on June 15. It then comes to Sydney on June 26 as part of the Slide Cabaret Festival which runs from June 21 to July 4, including New York's Joey Arias, Phil Scott, Michael Griffiths, Christie Whelan Browne and Ursula Yovich.

In Go Your Own Way, Alcorn will tell McVie's story from the singer/songwriter's perspective.

"I won't be trying to look like her, it will be more a channeling with a slightly lower voice," she says. "I only perform the songs she's written but there are a couple of other Fleetwood Mac songs in there and a Beach Boys track."

Alcorn is passionate about cabaret. Alongside her performing, she works as Slide's creative director in order to help develop the artform and build audiences for it in Sydney.

"It's the intimacy, the closeness," she says. "As an audience member you can nearly have a conversation with the performer on stage and that's exciting. I think fans love being close to the stars. Everyone wants to meet the artist afterwards and in a cabaret environment more often than not you can do that."

Keeping a cabaret venue open in Sydney is tough, Alcorn admits, "but we just have to keep our wits about us. Given that we don't have any funding, I think we are doing incredibly well. We are still here and we are doing better and better than we ever have".

Bette meanwhile, has not been entirely sidelined. Alcorn performs The Divine Miss Bette at Glen Street Theatre next month.

"We're moving from a four-piece to a full band for Glen Street. We've got some additional songs and the show has been extended. It's going to be bigger and Bette-er," she says with a laugh.

Go Your Own Way, Slide Cabaret, June 26. Bookings: 8915 1899. The Divine Miss Bette, Glen Street Theatre, July 23-28. Bookings: 9975 1455
Old 06-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
New wind beneath cabaret star's wings Catherine Alcorn

JO LITSON• The Sunday Telegraph• Australia June 09, 201312:00AM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226660508393

AFTER playing Bette Midler for several years in her hit cabaret show The Divine Miss Bette, Catherine Alcorn decided recently that the time had come to create something new.

"I'd had the itch for a while. I felt it was time to move on, even if I just shelved Bette for a little while, and I wanted to play another rock chick," says Alcorn who, as Fidel Cathro, fronts electro-dance band The Gauge Breakers. "I'm a rock chick at heart."

She was on a plane to Santiago when the right idea hit.

"I was listening to Fleetwood Mac and one of my favourite songs on the album - Christine McVie's As Long As You Follow - came on and I thought: 'This is perfect'," Alcorn says.

"She's so interesting. There was all the trauma and excruciating times they went through recording Rumours (due to the relationship break-ups of band members Christine and John McVie, and Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham) and (questions like) why she left the band and is she coming back? All those things lend themselves to a really juicy story."

Arriving in Santiago, Alcorn did some research and discovered that Fleetwood Mac was planning a world tour without Christine and that a biopic called The Drummer about the Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson, with whom she had a relationship, is scheduled for release this year.

"You know you are on to something good when those other things happen to support the idea," Alcorn says.

The resulting show, Go Your Own Way, premieres at the Adelaide Cabaret Festival on June 15. It then comes to Sydney on June 26 as part of the Slide Cabaret Festival which runs from June 21 to July 4, including New York's Joey Arias, Phil Scott, Michael Griffiths, Christie Whelan Browne and Ursula Yovich.

In Go Your Own Way, Alcorn will tell McVie's story from the singer/songwriter's perspective.

"I won't be trying to look like her, it will be more a channeling with a slightly lower voice," she says. "I only perform the songs she's written but there are a couple of other Fleetwood Mac songs in there and a Beach Boys track."

Alcorn is passionate about cabaret. Alongside her performing, she works as Slide's creative director in order to help develop the artform and build audiences for it in Sydney.

"It's the intimacy, the closeness," she says. "As an audience member you can nearly have a conversation with the performer on stage and that's exciting. I think fans love being close to the stars. Everyone wants to meet the artist afterwards and in a cabaret environment more often than not you can do that."

Keeping a cabaret venue open in Sydney is tough, Alcorn admits, "but we just have to keep our wits about us. Given that we don't have any funding, I think we are doing incredibly well. We are still here and we are doing better and better than we ever have".

Bette meanwhile, has not been entirely sidelined. Alcorn performs The Divine Miss Bette at Glen Street Theatre next month.

"We're moving from a four-piece to a full band for Glen Street. We've got some additional songs and the show has been extended. It's going to be bigger and Bette-er," she says with a laugh.

Go Your Own Way, Slide Cabaret, June 26. Bookings: 8915 1899. The Divine Miss Bette, Glen Street Theatre, July 23-28. Bookings: 9975 1455
This sounds fun!

Also, I enjoy hearing ALAYF getting some love.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

Cool! I'm glad someone decided to show some appreciation for Christine!

And...what's happening with the biopic?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Last I heard on the film was that it's being delayed because of the lead actor.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The FM website was right: This IS the year of Christine McVie.

So glad someone out there sees her story and appreciates it.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Broadway World, April 13, 2014

http://www.broadwayworld.com/sydney/...3#.U0wjfsJOWM8

On the eve of their long-awaited comeback tour, Fleetwood Mac's most famous songwriter decided she would not give in to the pleas for her to rejoin the band. Instead, Christine McVie tweeted "Sorry folks. No tour." Always an intriguing figure, McVie's uniquely independent attitude to global fame, ridiculous wealth, love and loss, personal privacy, song writing and music, is at the heart of her story.

Spanning a career of four decades, the tumultuous life of the enigmatic Christine McVie is told in 80 music-packed minutes inGo Your Own Way. Catherine Alcorn (The Divine Miss Bette) brings her own magic to some of the most memorable songs from Christine McVie's songbook, including Little Lies, Everywhere, Don't Stop and Songbird.

Go Your Own Way is a celebration of great music and one woman's life journey.

The cast includes ****Catherine Alcorn, Isaac Hayward, Tamika Stanton, Nic Cecire, and Marty Haily.

The director is Jason Langley, musical director is Michael Tyack, and the musical arrangement is by Isaac Hayward.

Conceived and Produced by Catherine Alcorn. Written by Diana Simmonds.

SEASON DETAILS

Venue: Glen Street Theatre, corner Glen Street and Blackbutts Road, Belrose

Date: 27 May - 1 June

Performance Times: Tuesday 6.30pm, Wednesday - Saturday 8pm, Saturday 2pm and Sunday 5pm. Q&A session with the cast on Tuesday 27 May. Wine Appreciation Session from 4pm prior to the performance on Sunday 1 June

Ticket Prices: $70 - $30. Student Rush tickets just $15. Subscribe and save up to 30%.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 PM

So interesting.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Seems interesting. But it doesn't make sense to name a show focusing on Christine McVie after a Lindsey Buckingham song. It seems insulting to the subject of the show. Name it after a Christine song, for crying out loud. Songbird, or Say You Love Me, are obvious candidates. But ... am I missing something? Is the whole thing a joke? The premise of the show seems to be Christine NOT touring, during this moment in time when Chris IS touring, for the first time in decades.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[too bad there's no one in Australia who can attend the play and report back]

April 23, 2014 by Cassie Tongue for Aussie Theatre

https://aussietheatre.com.au/news/gl...hristine-mcvie

Glen Street presents the story of Christine McVie

Spanning a career of four decades, the tumultuous life of the enigmatic Christine McVie is coming to Glen Street Theatre told in 80 music-packed minutes.

Go Your Own Way, the acclaimed cabaret by Catherine Alcorn (The Divine Miss Bette), brings to life the most memorable songs from Christine McVie’s songbook, including Little Lies, Everywhere, Don’t Stop and Songbird.

The show is a celebration of great music and one woman’s life journey, looking at McVie’s uniquely independent attitude to global fame, ridiculous wealth, love and loss, personal privacy, song writing and music.

Find the person under Fleetwood Mac’s most reticent mystery.

Go Your Own Way is musically directed by Michael Tyack with musical arrangement by Isaac Hayward, conceived by and starring Catherine Alcorn, and written by Diana Simmonds.

It will play the Glen Street Theatre from 27 May – 1 June.

For tickets and more information, visit www.glenstreet.com.au.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM

This sounds very cool!! I hope it comes to USA.. but dream on...
Old 05-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Alt Media, Staff writer, May 20, 2014

http://www.altmedia.net.au/go-your-own-way/93286

Go Your Own Way

What would inspire a musician to leave one of the most iconic and successful rock bands of all time? That’s the question that inspired cabaret performer Catherine Alcorn to pursue the story of enigmatic and fiercely private Fleetwood Mac singer/songwriter, Christine McVie, in her stage show, Go Your Own Way.

“It really interested me as an artist, wanting to build my career. I can’t imagine quitting one of the world’s biggest bands if I was a part of it. It was intriguing to me to find the reason behind that,” Alcorn explains.

Alcorn is a veteran of translating real life stories to the stage, as seen in her Bette Midler-inspired cabaret show, The Divine Miss Bette. She had a hunch that McVie’s story would work beautifully on the stage.

“People leave sharing memories. There is something so beautiful about being able to remember and think about where you were when you first heard these songs,” she says, noting that Fleetwood Mac are a band who, due to their success and longevity, hold a special place in the collective hearts of the general public.

“I remember hearing Fleetwood Mac songs ever since I was a little girl and even now they are played every day, and that just shows how timeless they are,” says Alcorn. “People love their memories. It gives them that time back.” (SW)
Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It does not appear that she has revised her concept to address Christine's dramatic return to touring and recording with the band.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It does not appear that she has revised her concept to address Christine's dramatic return to touring and recording with the band.
Right. Since I imagine that many of the people attending will be Christine fans, I'm sure they would appreciate a little post script before the curtain falls.

Michele
Old 11-19-2015, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Community News: Catherine Alcorn goes her own way

http://www.communitynews.com.au/life...wn-way/7678804

Tanya MacNaughton | November 17, 2015, 11:00 AM | All Titles

PERFORMER Catherine Alcorn’s final day job in film and television production before quitting to pursue cabaret fulltime was as production manager in the Northern Territory on Oprah's Ultimate Australian Adventure in 2010.

“It got to the point where I realised performing and being on stage was what I really wanted to do and having those other jobs pulled my energy in the wrong direction,” the Sydneysider said.

Alcorn’s first foray was with her cabaret hit The Divine Miss Bette focusing on the career of Bette Midler and although she loved performing the show, she felt in 2013 it was time for her next project.

“I was on a plane listening to Fleetwood Mac’s greatest hits; one of my favourite songs of theirs came on, As Long As You Follow by Christine McVie and it just hit me,” she said.

“As soon as I touched down I emailed Adelaide Cabaret Festival with my light bulb idea, I told them I didn’t have anything else put together than that and within 24 hours they emailed back to say they loved it and added it to their program.

“I then had a deadline of six months to get the show together.”

Go Your Own Way: The Story of Christine McVie is a play with music, not a tribute show, where Alcorn plays McVie and her music is used to underscore dramatic moments.

“We walk in and out of scenarios, situations and times in her life,” Alcorn said.

“There are five of us on stage to reflect the band, with a female backing vocalist channelling Stevie Nicks, a guitarist, drummer and keyboardist.

“The show is predominately focused around the time of Rumours and that’s what the band’s makeup was then.”

Originally a 60-minute show for cabaret festivals, it has been extended to 85 minutes to suit theatre tours and has been rewritten since McVie returned to Fleetwood Mac.

“When we opened in 2013 in Adelaide she hadn’t rejoined the tour yet so we’ve had to revise and change the structure of the show to tie in with this decision,” Alcorn said.

“Timing is everything and we couldn’t have planned their recent tour better. The journey we’ve had along with them is pretty serendipitous.”

THE ESSENTIALS

What: Go Your Own Way: The Story of Christine McVie

Where: Downstairs at the Maj, His Majesty’s Theatre

When: November 18 to 21

Tickets: www.ticketek.com.au
Old 11-19-2015, 02:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It would have been great if Christine could have caught this show while she was down under. I wonder if she's actually aware of it???
My gripe is the title of the show; Go Your Own Way. I dont know the story being told but if its about Christine leaving the band then I suppose it fits as a title. I'm sure they could have found a Christine song that would have done just as well though (Yesterday's Gone: The Christine McVie Story???). It reminds me of when Stevie Nicks is interviewed and they often show clips of Go Your Own Way or Little Lies etc and I just want to cringe. THATS NOT HER SONG...PLAY SOMETHING MORE APPROPRIATE!